Anyone have a S&W 329PD???

Discussion of handguns

Anyone have a S&W 329PD???

Postby JRBackus on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:10 am

I am in the market for a new .44 Mag for camping/back country hiking/hunting/etc. and I am very interested in the 329PD for obvious reasons, but I have heard very mixed reviews on how brutal the recoil is. This will mainly be a defensive/carry gun, but I want it to be enjoyable to shoot at the range for practice. I'm not a recoil baby, but if it's just not fun to shoot, I might go with the 629 instead.

Is there anyone local (Twin Cities) that has a 329PD and would be willing to let me shoot it? I'll meet you at a range, pay for the lane, bring my own ammo, etc. I would just like to feel it for myself before I buy one.

Thanks!

--Jeremy
JRBackus

Re: Anyone have a S&W 329PD???

Postby rugersol on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:44 pm

I don't have one.

I do have a 325 ... it's definitely not horrible!

Worst case, at the range, ya could shoot .44spl!

I don't recall if the 329's ported? ... if it is, I'd guess ya'd do ok ... if it's not, I'd guess it varies person to person!

I have shot .44 mag in comparably sized guns, with more mass ... I'd guess most folks would find full house loads in the 329, unbearable! ... but that's jest a guess!

... jammed into a grizzly's jaw, I'd guess recoil wouldn't be high on their list of concerns!

For less money and more mass, I'd take a hard look at a 4.625in Vaquero er Blackhawk ... .44spl er .45 Colt'd do well!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:50 pm

I have one and am happy to let you try it. It is a smile a minute but I can only put 1-2 cylinders through it per range visit. It should not be the primary gun for a range visit, but it is fun to shoot and let others shoot. They also sell "44 mag cowboy loads" or whatever like rugersol said that would be more enjoyable for lots of shooting.

No porting on the 329PD. here is my thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39254
Mn01r6

Postby LS3Miata on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm

I rented one, put one cylinder through it and realized it was not a gun for me. I wound up buying a .44 steel snubby, much more pleasant to shoot.

I did just buy a 325pd and even the .45 has plenty of snap, but certainly manageable.
A few 1911's, two crazy boxers, a fast car and a half fast driver.
LS3Miata

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:52 pm

The 800 pound troll with the 50 GI, the EFFEN 50 DE, and the DOUBLE EFFEN 500 S&EFFEN Wesson that he likes to load hot says GET THE EFF AWAY, and don't stop runnin'

My source is none other that the Wolf's Den folks, who have their own range in the basement.

They think the Smith 500 is a hoot, and just wait for the Smith rep to show up so they can play with it and anything else. Even the EFFEN 440 grain hardcast loads, which are pretty brutal.

They shot 1 round with the 329 and handed it back and said Thanks, but NO thanks!!

So if you buy one, you can NEVER practice with it because it will just EFF your head up, and if a bear tries to eat you, pull the trigger until the gun is empty, and then having the bear eat you alive won't seem so bad...

Not joking here, either...

As bad or worse than a 357 Airlite with the hottest 158 grain loads Buffalo Bore makes...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby JJ on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
As bad or worse than a 357 Airlite with the hottest 158 grain loads Buffalo Bore makes...

Nancies. My 5' 130lb wife can handle full house 357's out of my Airweight S&W 360.

I don't make a habit of practicing with full house 357's, but I never hesitate if that's what I have on hand either.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby LS3Miata on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:55 pm

JJ wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:

Nancies. My 5' 130lb wife can handle full house 357's ...
so 5' is short, how does that make the rest of us nancies. Really, c'mon.
A few 1911's, two crazy boxers, a fast car and a half fast driver.
LS3Miata

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:41 pm

JJ wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:

Nancies. My 5' 130lb wife can handle full house 357's out of my Airweight S&W 360.

I don't make a habit of practicing with full house 357's, but I never hesitate if that's what I have on hand either.

Well, she can handle it better than me because she has small hands that fit the grip, so her hand isn't up against a bunch of bare metal where it shouldn't be when she pulls the trigger. And I am on record MANY times that women are NOT the weaker sex when it comes to guns, they just like different stuff and the hubby should STFU (and go to the Gopher Bar and have a coney and buy a T-shirt!) and stay out of the deal. If I shot that gun there would be all sorts of extra meat and bone getting whacked by the gun, and I could wind up bloody after a few shots. Oh, and she can handle you too, ya big Nancy Boy, which is also more than I can do!! :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Open invitation to come shoot my 329 at OGC Sam. It is not anywhere near as bad as you think it is. People that shoot it all want to shoot it again. I brought my 14 year old nephew to the range and he shot it. Had a bigger smile after that than any of the "call of duty" guns I let him shoot first. And yes, they were 240 grain factory HP loads not puff loads.
Mn01r6

Postby grousemaster on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 pm

JRBackus wrote:I am in the market for a new .44 Mag for camping/back country hiking/hunting/etc. and I am very interested in the 329PD for obvious reasons, but I have heard very mixed reviews on how brutal the recoil is. This will mainly be a defensive/carry gun, but I want it to be enjoyable to shoot at the range for practice. I'm not a recoil baby, but if it's just not fun to shoot, I might go with the 629 instead.

Is there anyone local (Twin Cities) that has a 329PD and would be willing to let me shoot it? I'll meet you at a range, pay for the lane, bring my own ammo, etc. I would just like to feel it for myself before I buy one.

Thanks!

--Jeremy

A buddy of mine has one for sale I believe...he says the recoil isn't too bad but he shoots a lot of hand loads and probably has them pretty tamed.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby JJ on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
Well, she can handle it better than me because she has small hands that fit the grip, so her hand isn't up against a bunch of bare metal where it shouldn't be when she pulls the trigger. And I am on record MANY times that women are NOT the weaker sex when it comes to guns, they just like different stuff and the hubby should STFU (and go to the Gopher Bar and have a coney and buy a T-shirt!) and stay out of the deal. If I shot that gun there would be all sorts of extra meat and bone getting whacked by the gun, and I could wind up bloody after a few shots. Oh, and she can handle you too, ya big Nancy Boy, which is also more than I can do!! :P

Herp a derp. SS, I'm not exactly small at 6' 210. And my 6'4" 275lb buddy that I shoot with on occasion, has never had an issue getting torn up from full house loads in my carry gun either.

Some people are scared of recoil. Others aren't. It's apparent you are, Nancy :twisted:
JJ

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Well, how many different 50 caliber pistols and assault rifles do you own, you great Limey Poofta?? Neener, neener neener :P :P :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby JJ on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Well, how many different 50 caliber pistols and assault rifles do you own, you great Limey Poofta?? Neener, neener neener :P :P :P

Last time I checked, bullet diameter is not the only factor in recoil.

Usually bullet diameter is directly proportional to how much phallic over-compensation is needed. :?
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Rodentman on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I have a 329NG which is about the same weight as the PD, but has a shorter barrel. It's not too bad with the Hogue grips with the padded backstrap.

I don't shoot it often, but it's fun when I do.
Rodentman

Postby JRBackus on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:28 am

Still looking... Anyone got one???

--Jeremy
JRBackus

Next

Return to Handguns