Semiauto handgun suggestions for the gf...

Discussion of handguns

Re: Semiauto handgun suggestions for the gf...

Postby ttousi on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:28 pm

is she sling-shotting it or coming across the top? ............slingshot is harder to do

over the top with heel of hand against slide, fingers on opposite side and bring it closer to the body........more power and can push or pull or both.

like this

MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby infidel on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Beretta makes a tip-up barrel semi-auto in .32 and .380. Racking the slide is not a factor if she can pull the hammer back.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Semiauto handgun suggestions for the gf...

Postby PhilaBOR on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:56 pm

ttousi wrote:is she sling-shotting it or coming across the top? ............slingshot is harder to do

over the top with heel of hand against slide, fingers on opposite side and bring it closer to the body........more power and can push or pull or both.

like this

What he said.
Most people can rack a slide with this method.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby rugersol on Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:14 am

ttousi wrote:over the top with heel of hand against slide, fingers on opposite side and bring it closer to the body........more power and can push or pull or both.

like this

She didn't say nothin about cocking the hammer on them 1911's, first! ;)

What she says about 1 hand vs 2 hands is total bull****! :roll:

And, probly not relevant, in this case, but "unload and show clear" is a purdy standard range command ... she better be able to pop the slide stop up with her strong thumb, at the same time ... or, as has been suggested ... practice!

IMO, there's no advantage to using 4 fingers & palm vs thumb n fore finger ... course, that may vary ... but ... practice!

My boy's been able to rack even my stock 1911's ... w/o first cocking the hammer ... since he was 8!

Also, I get that she's demonstrating for the camera ... but it'd be nice if she'd explain where downrange is, and keep the muzzle in that direction! ... I can see a bunch of folks watchin this video, then goin to Bill's, and covering the poor sob next to em, whilst chambering a round!

... certainly, her demonstration of the "advantage" of using "both" hands, w/o first turning her body so that, while doing so, keeps the muzzle directly downrange, does a great disservice!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby ktech on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:12 am

I'd like to raise something I haven't noticed anyone raise yet - make sure she is involved in the process.
If it's going to be her gun, she should be involved in the selection process.

That said, if you've been keeping her involved, all of the suggestions I've seen have been good. I think the best thing to do would be to go to the fun store and let her test a bunch of guns out, rack the slides, etc.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby ttousi on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:16 am

rugersol wrote:
ttousi wrote:over the top with heel of hand against slide, fingers on opposite side and bring it closer to the body........more power and can push or pull or both.

like this

She didn't say nothin about cocking the hammer on them 1911's, first! ;)

What she says about 1 hand vs 2 hands is total bull****! :roll:

And, probly not relevant, in this case, but "unload and show clear" is a purdy standard range command ... she better be able to pop the slide stop up with her strong thumb, at the same time ... or, as has been suggested ... practice!

IMO, there's no advantage to using 4 fingers & palm vs thumb n fore finger ... course, that may vary ... but ... practice!

My boy's been able to rack even my stock 1911's ... w/o first cocking the hammer ... since he was 8!

Also, I get that she's demonstrating for the camera ... but it'd be nice if she'd explain where downrange is, and keep the muzzle in that direction! ... I can see a bunch of folks watchin this video, then goin to Bill's, and covering the poor sob next to em, whilst chambering a round!

... certainly, her demonstration of the "advantage" of using "both" hands, w/o first turning her body so that, while doing so, keeps the muzzle directly downrange, does a great disservice!

it was just a quick search to show the method.........certainly not the best relative to the concerns you voiced
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby rugersol on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:59 am

Ya ... couple years ago I tried finding some good videos for basic grip, stance, muzzle control ... purdy slim pickin's!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby farmerj on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:48 pm

rugersol wrote:Ya ... couple years ago I tried finding some good videos for basic grip, stance, muzzle control ... purdy slim pickin's!

so why don't you make one and post it for her.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby rugersol on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 pm

farmerj wrote:
rugersol wrote:Ya ... couple years ago I tried finding some good videos for basic grip, stance, muzzle control ... purdy slim pickin's!

so why don't you make one and post it for her.

... boy was gettin ready for bed ... wife volunteered!

... no live ammo in the living room, so she rode the slide back ... at the range, when the slide stops goin backward, just let it go ... ala "slingshot"
rugersol

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 pm

It was nice to see my thread turn into a pissing contest between members who can't get along.

If a moderator is reading this post fell free to lock this thread, and give the users who can't get along some time off.

Thank you.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Previous

Return to Handguns