Semiauto handgun suggestions for the gf...

Discussion of handguns

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:46 pm

My new gf is new to handguns. She does want to get her carry permit but wants to find a semiauto that she can rack the slide on easy. She really likes my m&p22 because it's easy to use. I hand her my m&p9 and she's having a hard time chambering a round. I had her try a couple handguns at the dealer and only one she could rack easy was a walther 380. She already made it clear she doesn't want a wheel gun. Any leads would be helpful. Thanks.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: Semiauto handgun suggestions for the gf...

Postby Sorcerer on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:37 pm

When I was trying to get my wife to do more shooting I took her to Bills and gun shows just to handle different hand guns. She had/ has trouble racking a slide. She found that she could rack the slide on a FNP 9 and she felt it fit her hand. So that's what I bought. As a plus it gave me a SSP gun for IDPA.
Sorcerer

Postby Thunderjohn on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Many women have trouble (my wife included) when they first start.
After practice/help it'll be much easier for her.
Glocks aren't bad and the Bersa Thundersare very easy, and nice shooters with the alloy frame.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:16 pm

She starting shooting my M&P22. Did pretty well with it. Then she wanted to try shooting my desert eagle. It was her choice not mine. I loaded up 3 rounds of .44 magnum into the gun, and had to rack the slide on that one for her. She shot it pretty well. I'll just have to get her out shooting more with the .22 and get her confidence level up. I'm sure once she shoots a 9mm she's have no issues with it. She's shot 20ga shotgun before, and has more time behind a shotgun than a handgun. The walther PK380 slide was pretty easy to work for her. If she decides on a .380 that wouldn't be the end of the world either. I just want to get her comfortable shooting centerfire. She asked why she couldn't just use the .22 for defense. I told her it's better than nothing, but I would fell more confident in something with more knock down power, and a wider range of defense round choices.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby farmerj on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Sorcerer wrote:When I was trying to get my wife to do more shooting I took her to Bills and gun shows just to handle different hand guns. She had/ has trouble racking a slide. She found that she could rack the slide on a FNP 9 and she felt it fit her hand. So that's what I bought. As a plus it gave me a SSP gun for IDPA.

That right there is THE BEST suggestion I have seen so far on a forum about getting a new shooter into a gun.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby jgalt on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Unless there is some type of physical limitation (arthritis, injury, etc.), it has been my experience that just about anyone can rack the slide of either a 9mm or 45 (I've never actually handled a 40 so I can't speak to that from personal experience...) with a bit of instruction on how best to do so and adequate practice.

That said, if the goal is to get her started / interested in shooting, then having her handle as many guns as possible to find out what she's comfortable with is really the only sensible advice to give. If she picks something that is in a less-than-ideal calibre for self-defense, then that just means you'll end up getting a 2nd (or 3rd / 4th / etc.) gun for that purpose later. Getting her started with something she'll look forward to shooting - and thereby creating an interest in shooting generally - is more important than finding a great carry gun (in my ever-so-humble) opinion.

BTW, this advice applies to any new shooter - young, old, male, female. Pique their interest first, then they'll be more willing to listen to why something may be better for a particular application if necessary...
jgalt

Re: Re: Semiauto handgun suggestions for the gf...

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:34 pm

jgalt wrote:Unless there is some type of physical limitation (arthritis, injury, etc.)

Fibromialgia. But I wouldn't think that would affect arm strength. If it can please feel free to educate me. I've read some stuff online about it but afterwards I was still confused...
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Evad on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:09 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:
jgalt wrote:Unless there is some type of physical limitation (arthritis, injury, etc.)

Fibromialgia. But I wouldn't think that would affect arm strength. If it can please feel free to educate me. I've read some stuff online about it but afterwards I was still confused...

Could still be technique/confidence. My kids could not rack the mp22 easily at first. Less than an hour later my 12 year old racked my glock27.
Evad

Postby farmerj on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:12 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:

Fibromialgia.

Yeah, that will be rather debilitating. We have friends with it and it ranges day to day pain to being wheelchair bound.

I have had to make wheelchair ramps for her to be able to just get into her house.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby gun_fan111 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Did anybody try something simple like an XD9 with a weaker recoil spring? May not be a long term solution but...
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby farmerj on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:28 pm

get her the walther 380 if that's what she is able to shoot and function.

It's not about what others think or suggest. Only what she is capable of using. Anything else may as well be a brick to her.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby Snowgun on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:42 pm

I second the bit about practice...

Many people want to baby or fully control the slide during the rack, this takes a lot more strength. Once someone gains the muscle memory to rack the slide forcefully, committing to the motion and using the right muscles and technique, they can rack most anything. (Recoil springs can also easily be lightened a little)

The limiting factor should be what gun they can shoot.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:36 pm

gun_fan111 wrote:Did anybody try something simple like an XD9 with a weaker recoil spring? May not be a long term solution but...

I traded my xd9 subcompact for the shotgun I got her. She does like the feel of the m&p. I'll have to see how she feels in a few weeks. Poor thing had surgery last week. She's laid up for about 5 weeks now...
PHATSPEED7x

Postby LePetomane on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:01 pm

I have both the Beretta PX4 and the FNX. The slides are pretty smooth and easy to work.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:22 pm

LePetomane wrote:I have both the Beretta PX4 and the FNX. The slides are pretty smooth and easy to work.

I'll check both them out...
PHATSPEED7x

Next

Return to Handguns