I've got a new favorite carry gun

Discussion of handguns

I've got a new favorite carry gun

Postby stecker on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:00 pm

I know Glocks aren't for everyone, and I avoided them until about 2 years ago. Then I had someone offer to let me use their G19 at an all-day run-n-gun training class. I said that my gun was plenty good, well half way through the day both of my guns had crapped out on me so I used his 19 all afternoon and was hooked. A few months later I used his G21 at another all-day class and then had to have one of those. The 21 was my favorite and I even used it as my EDC until about 3-4 months ago. I've lost over 50 pounds since March (yes, it's been intentional) and I just couldn't conceal the 21 as well anymore. So i started looking for a G30 because i just prefer 45's (i have several 9's of various sizes, but I just prefer 45's).

I have now shot 100 rounds each day for three consecutive days through my new gen4 G30. This gun is awesome! I am more accurate with it than any of my other pistols (well except for my 22's), it conceals as easily as my 19, it feels more well balanced in my hand than either the 19 or 21, and it is as quick as any other pistol I have from holster to 2 rounds on target. I think I've found the perfect EDC for me, and works pretty darn well as a range plinker too. I was hitting pop cans from 50' tonight. I know that's nothing for a lot of guys here, but I could only do that consistently with my 22's before tonight. I had no trouble drilling ragged holes at 25' or hitting pop cans on the first try at 50' with this G30. Very happy camper right now.
stecker

Re: I've got a new favorite carry gun

Postby Back In Black on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Nice!
Keith
Back In Black

Postby Makarov on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Way to :rock: your Glock!

What holster did you go with?
Makarov

Postby Spartan on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Have you tried a 1911 officer ? or an HK compact 45 or a compact sig 220 carry ?
Spartan

Postby Big and Tasty on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Congrats!

Btw - this makes for TWO fantastic Glock stories on the board within the last few weeks. Dare I say a trend is evolving? :D
"Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help."
Big and Tasty

Postby stecker on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:16 pm

I use a Crossbreed supertuck with Velcro clips and a velcro belt. That way it totally disappears even when wearing dress slacks, tucked in shirt, and tie.

I have fired a few 1911's, my son's H&K USP, and my nephew's P226. All very nice, but I just prefer the Glocks for a carry weapon.
stecker

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:04 pm

I too love the G30. I put Tru-Glo TFO sights along with lighter connector, springs etc and it is one of the smoothest shooting Compact 45's I have ever shot. Unfirtunately, I stupidly sold mine about 5 months ago.

So, I am now saving my pennies to get another one. I simply like the big slow bullet as my carry gun. Being disabled, I am unable to manuever easily, so I need a round that would stop an adversary, should the situation ever occur. I love my G17 but it doesn't give me the confidence of the G30
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Bignuts on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:36 pm

I love your G17 too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
Bignuts

Postby John58e on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:55 pm

I never thought I would be a Glock guy until I bought my first, a G21. Then I got hooked ! 17 and 23 came soon after.
G23 is my winter carry.
John58e

Postby arizona98tj on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:25 pm

stecker wrote:I said that my gun was plenty good, well half way through the day both of my guns had crapped out on me so I used his 19 all afternoon and was hooked.

Just curious as what to which two handguns you were shooting that together couldn't survive 4 hours of use?
arizona98tj

Postby IDPA Shooter on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:35 pm

I also like the G30, but don't overlook the new Franken Glock the 30s. G30 SF with the slide from the G36. Saves a little weight, selected by LAPD SIS. I have one, great shooter, but no TFO sights are available.

I'll guess the guns that failed were 1911s. Yes, some work quite well but in the 10 or so Massad Ayoob classes I have taken or taught I'd guess if 2 failed per class. Out of these more than half were 1911s. Pretty sad since 1911's were never more than 20% of the class.

Sent from my MZ505 using Tapatalk 4
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby gunsmith on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:23 am

Massad Ayoob says the G30 is the most accurate Glock. He just reviewed the G30S which has the G36 slide & barrel mounted on a G30SF. Slightly more recoil reported.

I have a G30SF and it's a pleasure to shoot.

I couldn't imagine carrying it concealed....I carry it openly when biking but it's just too big otherwise. I could be in for an awakening if I tried just the right holster like the Crossbreed Supertuck...

You know the G21 mags fit right in there and they have collars for the magazines so they match the grip of the gun.
gunsmith

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:06 am

Well my dream of once again having a G30 has come true. Saturday I traded my G21SF for a Gen 3 Glock 30 :rock:

I am almost happy. Once my new sights , Tru Glo TFO's, the new 3.5 lb connector and competition springs, including the new stainless recoil rod & springs arrive next week and I finish installing it all, I will then be One Big Happy Puppy. I will be able to give my wife her S&W 642 with her "Pink Grips" back. I've been worried about having to actually draw the 642 with "Pink Grips" and getting laughed at by the perp..... :oops: NO LONGER! The Big Dog Is Back.. :booyah:
NRA RSO

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re:

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 am

IDPA Shooter wrote:I also like the G30, but don't overlook the new Franken Glock the 30s. G30 SF with the slide from the G36. Saves a little weight, selected by LAPD SIS. I have one, great shooter, but no TFO sights are available.

I'll guess the guns that failed were 1911s. Yes, some work quite well but in the 10 or so Massad Ayoob classes I have taken or taught I'd guess if 2 failed per class. Out of these more than half were 1911s. Pretty sad since 1911's were never more than 20% of the class.

Sent from my MZ505 using Tapatalk 4

From my limited search, the same TFO's that fit my G-30 should fit your G-30s. If you want to bring it buy I'll gladly install my set just to verify. It will take less than ten minutes. Just PM me for my contact info.
Jim
NRA RSO

BigDog58

Postby MWAG on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Being a smaller framed individual, I recently went with a model 26 gen3 with a pearce+1 mag plate on it. Over 500rds of reloads downrange, not a problem.

Now that winter is fast approaching, bulky clothes makes the small doublestack vanish. I would imagine in the summer, it'll take some cargo shorts and a loose button up. We'll cross that bridge next June ;)

I'm very happy with the $450 I spent and have no worries it'll go bang if I need it to.
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Return to Handguns