AR pistol

Discussion of handguns

Re: AR pistol

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:35 pm

It's a wear issue and not something most folks are overly concerned with.
FJ540

Postby LumberZach on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:49 pm

I have a question on this topic,

Do Minnesota transfers ask if you are buying a stripped lower to be built into a rifle or pistol? If so, would it be an issue to buy a lower as a rifle and the build it into a pistol? I believe they ask what caliber it is intended, but I don't remember on the rifle-pistol issue.

Thanks all.
LumberZach

Postby ScatterGun4015 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:14 pm

LumberZach wrote:I have a question on this topic,

Do Minnesota transfers ask if you are buying a stripped lower to be built into a rifle or pistol? If so, would it be an issue to buy a lower as a rifle and the build it into a pistol? I believe they ask what caliber it is intended, but I don't remember on the rifle-pistol issue.

Thanks all.

There is a handgun, rifle, and other box that can be checked. If other was the only box checked, you can build whatever you want with it. If the rifle box was checked, you can only build a rifle. Handgun is a little different because you can convert from a handgun to a rifle. Hope that helps
Stradawhovious wrote:
So rather than just being chased by a zombie, you are now being chased by one in that's engulfed in flames? No thanks.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
ScatterGun4015

Postby LumberZach on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:12 am

ScatterGun4015 wrote:
LumberZach wrote:I have a question on this topic,

Thanks all.

There is a handgun, rifle, and other box that can be checked. If other was the only box checked, you can build whatever you want with it. If the rifle box was checked, you can only build a rifle. Handgun is a little different because you can convert from a handgun to a rifle. Hope that helps

Ok, good info to know. Thanks for the help!
LumberZach

Postby JJ on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:41 am

LumberZach wrote:
ScatterGun4015 wrote:

Even that is not entirely correct. A stripped lower cannot be transferred as a rifle, so the box checked on the 4473 doesn't shouldn't matter. If the lower is stripped, and sent from the retailer, it's transferred as "other". Even if the ATF were to do a trace, technically, it had to be transferred as other, no matter what the end FFL did.

IMO, none of it really matters, if the ATF wants to get you, they will. How you transferred a stripped lower is pretty minor.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby ScatterGun4015 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:28 am

JJ wrote:
LumberZach wrote:
ScatterGun4015 wrote:

Even that is not entirely correct. A stripped lower cannot be transferred as a rifle, so the box checked on the 4473 doesn't shouldn't matter. If the lower is stripped, and sent from the retailer, it's transferred as "other". Even if the ATF were to do a trace, technically, it had to be transferred as other, no matter what the end FFL did.

IMO, none of it really matters, if the ATF wants to get you, they will. How you transferred a stripped lower is pretty minor.

JJ is correct, however The last pistol stripped lower I ordered, the FFL I went through would not allow me to take it with just marking other. He marked other and pistol. He did it wrong because it should have only been marked other
Stradawhovious wrote:
So rather than just being chased by a zombie, you are now being chased by one in that's engulfed in flames? No thanks.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
ScatterGun4015

Postby JJ on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:57 am

ScatterGun4015 wrote:
JJ is correct, however The last pistol stripped lower I ordered, the FFL I went through would not allow me to take it with just marking other. He marked other and pistol. He did it wrong because it should have only been marked other

And ATK has made it very clear that is incorrect:

http://www.atf.gov/files/press/releases ... fl-gca.pdf

it should only ever be marked as "frame" or "receiver".

IANAL, so take this for what it's worth, but ATK couldn't shouldn't be able to cite you for an error the FFL made.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Previous

Return to Handguns