Colt 22 Short Derringer

Discussion of handguns

Colt 22 Short Derringer

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm

A family friend brought over an older Colt .22 Short Derringher tonight (also the Matador SxS 20 ga.) for me to see what I can find out information wise. I haven't ever seen one and hope someone here knows something about these little guns.

I'm trying to find out if they are worth much or possibly a collectors type gun? I have only given it a quick look in my poor lighting. I hope to get it out and look at it in good sunshine and with my bore light to see down the barrel. I will hopefully be able to get a couple decent pictures with my cell camera and I'll post them afterward.

If anyone has any info or knows where I should begin looking, please help point me in the right direction. She is a very close family friend and I just don't want to go to a dealer with zero info and end up getting taken advantage of. I might consider making her an offer for both (.22 &20 ga) but I want to be a fair deal so she gets the true value for each.

Thanks for any help any of you can give.
Last edited by BigDog58 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Colt 22 Short Derringher

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:28 am

These are known as Fourth Model Colts made in the late 50s/early 60s (the last letter of the serial number should be either a "D" or an "N"). They book at 100 bucks if unfired, but street price is normally closer to 100-150 depending on condition.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Re: Colt 22 Short Derringer

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 am

Thank you Joe. I haven't thoroughly inspected it yet, but you have at least given me an idea of what she has. I had never seen a Colt Derringer until last night.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ramoel on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:03 pm

I bought a new one around 1960. As I recall, I paid around $35 for it. I fired it a couple of times and traded it to a guy for a once fired Winchester 94 that was also made in 1960. For some reason he wanted that little gun to carry in his pocket. He had missed a deer with the 94 and decided it was no good. Never sighted it in before the hunt either.

I always thought I got the better deal but the guy was in the military and he bought the new Mod 94 in the base PX for $35 (money was worth a lot more back then) so we basically traded even up.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 pm

If its the one i'm thinking of it is branded Colt, but made by Butler more as a novelty than anything. They made them in both working and non-working "display" models, some sold as sets labeled lady and lord derringers. Don't shoot it much as they are made of very soft potmetal and will wear out very quickly. Cool looking little guns though.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1446755/o ... ringer-set
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Return to Handguns