1911 made in the USA vs everywhere else?

Discussion of handguns

1911 made in the USA vs everywhere else?

Postby ericinmn1970 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:35 am

Ok, so I would like some input please.

First the background. I've gotten it into my head that it's really important for the 1911 I fully intend on purchasing, be made in the USA. Yet, I try to buy products that I've done research on to assure myself of the quality of the product. That means I don't always buy made in the USA. Some research I've done online indicates many parts from different manufacturers are interchangeable since all were built following the same design. I'm also not seeing that there are any more or less issues based on where the gun was built.

So my questions to the forum are:
Does it matter if the 1911 was made in the USA, Brazil, the Philippines, or anywhere else?
Is price a factor in quality and reliability?
Any recommended brands?
Any thoughts on Auto-Ordnance, Iver-Johnson, or Remington 1911's?

Thanks ahead of time!
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Re: 1911 made in the USA vs everywhere else?

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:29 am

Lets start with your budget are you loking to spend $500 or $5000. At $500 your going to get a non-USA shooter, depending on the brand it could be a great gun or not, at $5000 you are going to get art that will be flawless in almost every way. Inbetween those numbers a hundreads of choices.

So ask yourself what are you going to do with it and how much does the money equate to you. So if $3000 is pocket change then go get a nice Les and go from there. If however the significant other is going to equate $300 to your kids not getiting shoes then you know your budget.

In terms of use, if your looking for somehting to rub in a holster, play one fo the shooting sports, or simply take the range that would also guide your selection.

Not trying to sound all over the place but asking someone to pick you a 1911 is like asking your wife to pick out your girlfriend. Your going to get a lot of advice and not much of it what you want to hear and non you will be happy with after the fact.

OK, with the disclaimers out of the way a few options I'd put in groups.
Good - Regington, Ruger, Taurus
Better - Springfield, S&W, Kimber(not my fav)
Better yet - Les, Wilson, Ed Brown
Better still yet - Chambers, Brazo, Marvel

And I'm sure there are 100's of more you could put in each group. And this does not take into account vintage guns like the old Colt Gold Cups out of their custom shop and companies like Springfield that span from entry to full custom.
mmcnx2

Postby Evad on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:23 am

Mine is Turkish (Girsan). Cheap, nice features for the price and it's been flawless except one FTE when brand new. The issue I had was the factory mag. I replaced with cmc mags and I am plenty happy for the price.

If I get another, I will go a little higher on the budget.
Evad

Postby ericinmn1970 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks for the reply mmcnx2!

I'm sorry if I was unclear.

mmcnx2 wrote:Lets start with your budget...

Low. I'm by no means rich.

mmcnx2 wrote:...what are you going to do with it and how much does the money equate to you.

I see it as primarily a home defense weapon, while also being used at the range so that I can stay effective in it's use.

mmcnx2 wrote:In terms of use, if your looking for somehting to rub in a holster..

Do people carry these? Are they concealable? I'm not into advertising so open carry is not my style.

mmcnx2 wrote:Your going to get a lot of advice and not much of it what you want to hear and non you will be happy with after the fact.

I actually ask for advice quite often on any number of subjects. While I do often have to wade through an ocean of varying opinions, I do find all input useful!

I'm not really looking for anyone to pick a 1911 for me. I'm seeking overall opinions if quality and reliability of made in the USA vs other countries, if cost equates to quality, and overall opinions on 1911 brands. I'm hopeful that some that read my post may have owned and/or fired a number of different makes of 1911, will then impart upon me their wisdom! I'll then use that information to convince myself I'm making a more informed decision.
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Postby ericinmn1970 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

Evad wrote:Mine is Turkish (Girsan). Cheap, nice features for the price and it's been flawless except one FTE when brand new. The issue I had was the factory mag. I replaced with cmc mags and I am plenty happy for the price.

If I get another, I will go a little higher on the budget.

Thanks Evad! I'll have to look that one up when I get home.
ericinmn1970

Postby sawgrass on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:27 am

If I were going to buy a less expensive 1911 I would probably look at a Rock Island. Thunderjohn usually has a good selection. A very good production gun is a Springfield TRP. Springfield has a gun in every range and is said to have excellent customer service. Of the five I've owned I haven't ever had to send one back.
Les Baer is about the cheapest semi-custom available and make a nice functional tight gun. I was able to pick one up a couple of weeks ago used for $1200
If I wanted to spend more a Guncrafter Industries or a Wilson Combat. Tractus Arms has some inventory. If you order one it's a one to three year wait.

A lot of forged frames come from Brazil and that doesn't bother me. I've read good things about Turkish guns, but the one I held at Bill's wasn't impressive.
I personally have little love for new Kimbers and even less for Sig 1911's. There is a young woman at Bills who I've let shoot some of my guns. She bought an
Iver Johnson and it was riddled with problems. She got it fixed eventually and sold it. That is all I've ever heard about them. The reviews that I've read on the Remington have been mixed. The Ruger is a lot of gun for the money but the second one that I bought wasn't put together as well as the first that was from when they were first introduced.

The absolute best 1911 that I have ever owned or shot is a Bill Wilson Carry from Wilson Combat. I like and trust this gun like no other.

Here is a link to a 1911 buyers guide. This fellow owns about 70 1911's in every price range. He shoots some of them :) It's an excellent guide.
http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.p ... -addicts...
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby Special Projects on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:25 am

The Ruger I had was quite tight and very accurate with a nice trigger. I don't think you can go wrong with an SR1911. Personally, for an American-made 1911, I think Colt has a number of nice offerings for only a bit more than the entry-level.
Special Projects

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:29 am

Take a look at Citadel. It is a "fancy" Rock Island without that large ugly white stamp on the slide. That alone is worth the extra $50 they cost.

I think the trigger on mine is better than on the Sig that cost twice as much
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby PRS on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Under $700 -
Springfield GI

Under $900-
Springfield Loaded

Springfield Range Officer

Under $1500-
Dan Wesson

Under $2000-
Les Baer
PRS

Postby TH3180 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:00 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:Not trying to sound all over the place but asking someone to pick you a 1911 is like asking your wife to pick out your girlfriend. Your going to get a lot of advice and not much of it what you want to hear and non you will be happy with after the fact.

Don't knock it until you try it. One of the best weekends of my life. 8-)
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby Countryfried Frank on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:25 pm

TH3180 wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:Not trying to sound all over the place but asking someone to pick you a 1911 is like asking your wife to pick out your girlfriend. Your going to get a lot of advice and not much of it what you want to hear and non you will be happy with after the fact.

Teach me Obi-Wan.

But back on topic, you can't really go wrong with a Colt. My grip safety is nearly in the white from use and the only thing I've had to do outside of springs is a slide lock. Not the cheapest of the domestics but not the most expensive either.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby ericinmn1970 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:47 pm

sawgrass wrote:Here is a link to a 1911 buyers guide. This fellow owns about 70 1911's in every price range. He shoots some of them :) It's an excellent guide.
http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.p ... -addicts...

Thank you sawgrass! This link really helps. I've seen some reviews of 1911's on some forums, but none what that person put together. :D
ericinmn1970

Postby grimbeaver on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 am

Countryfried Frank wrote:
TH3180 wrote:

Teach me Obi-Wan.

But back on topic...

Screw that get to the teaching oh wise one :ugeek:
grimbeaver

Return to Handguns