Carrying in the cold with gloves?

Discussion of handguns

Postby Tronster on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 pm

What do you guys look for specifically in a winter carry gun when wearing bulky coats and gloves? Oversized trigger guards and longer than usual grips? Large controls and heavier tiggers? Or do you just plan on yanking your glove off and then unholstering your gun in a SD situation?

And what carry guns have oversized trigger guards made for gloved hands?
Tronster

Re: Carrying in the cold with gloves?

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 pm

I found that I could shoot my revolver with gloves on, but if the gloves were too bulky it interfered with trigger reset. So I almost always just wear light gloves. When I'm snowblowing in cold weather, I might have to pull off a heavy glove or a mitten, and unsnap my parka, to do any shooting. One of those risks I feel I can live with. :)
Pat Cannon

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm

FWIW - As a former LEO from the stone age ( prior to all the new performance wear gear) we learned to remove your glove with your teeth as you brought your hand up to move you jacket or other garment over your holster. Not pretty, but could be acomplished fairly quickly with practice.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Eric Marleau on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:31 pm

I have never been able to shoot any gun with finger gloves.
Since I was a kid I have always used shooting mittens where there are slits for the fingers to to stick out when I have had to shoot.
I have used these kinds of gloves in Canada waterfowl hunting in the worst weather or home in Ely deer hunting in -20 degrees.
Just seems to work for me.

As far as carrying guns go, if I would have to use my gun, I don't think that I would notice the cold too much, and if I were in an area where I felt that I may have to get to my gun in that much of a hurry, I would have to think to myself "What in the hell am I in this kind of area in the first place".

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby Keith on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:47 am

Mechanix gloves work ok. Not great for bitter cold but better than nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanix-Wear-MG- ... d_sim_hi_1
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Ranger01 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:23 am

I used to wear gloves that I could just flick off, but this year I went to REI and picked up a pair of these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00592ODU ... mdp_mobile

They fit pretty close to my hands and dont interfere with any manipulations of my firearm.
Ranger01

Postby leftoverture on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:21 pm

I tried some Blackhawk shooter's gloves, but they aren't much warmer than nothing. I just plan to yank off with my teeth then draw, as someone else suggested. Or, if I sense a threat, I just take my gloves off and be ready.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
leftoverture

Postby farmerj on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:01 pm

get a blue gun or if you can find a range that lets you practice actually drawing from a holster, try shooting as you carry.

We did a class a few years back taught by Ttousi and DonL out in Rainbow sportsman's club. Did this the weekend of a blizzard.

We all learnted a thang or two about winter carry that weekend.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1690&start=0
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby mzdadoc on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:07 pm

I never wear gloves here unless I'm working and in that case I can't carry. I've worn mechanix gloves in the harshest cold weather and by just flexing your hands to keep the blood flowing I've kept my hands warms. I agree drawing should be practiced and if you've got a cold garage then you have plenty of practice room. No need to go the the range for that.
mzdadoc

Postby farmerj on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:20 pm

mzdadoc wrote:I never wear gloves here unless I'm working and in that case I can't carry. I've worn mechanix gloves in the harshest cold weather and by just flexing your hands to keep the blood flowing I've kept my hands warms. I agree drawing should be practiced and if you've got a cold garage then you have plenty of practice room. No need to go the the range for that.

Most, if not all, of my training involves a timer. It's one way to see your performance. Doesn't mean to take from perfect practice or the whole slow is smooth, smooth is fast thing either.

Just drawing and shooting gives you that ability to use the timer.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Tronster on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Sig P6 is what I'm shooting in the winter and looking to add to my carry rotation. Even with an oversized trigger guard it's difficult to get a gloved finger in there so I shoot bare handed.
And I have to get out and shoot in the winter or my shooting skills go to crap by spring. My local range does not allow drawing from a holster. Another small range nearby is always empty but unmaintained with no facilities. So I could trudge 100 yards onto that snow covered range field and practice draw firing there. Maybe I'll look for those mechanix gloves.

Tronster

Postby hunterfreakhd on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:23 pm

http://www.seirus.com/tactical-detail/1 ... ag/gloves/

Spendy but works as advertised. Very warm no bulk.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby Tronster on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Looks like FF or Tyrol Ski might carry them. Have to check them out, thanks!
Tronster

Postby hunterfreakhd on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Gander in ep also has them. But of course with gouger you have to wait for them to be on sale. $50 to 60 bucks normally and around 35 on sale. If you're on your phone a lot out side they also have a pair with a tech finger. So you can still use touch screens with your gloves on.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby Spike on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:08 am

I just switch to carrying a Barret. You can shoot those things with just about any handgear.
Spike

Next

Return to Handguns