A funny feeling...

Discussion of handguns

A funny feeling...

Postby Rodentman on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:18 pm

No, not too many acorns, but at a trip to BPR I had an odd feeling which was new to me. A couple was shooting a couple of bays to my left in a fully occupied range, and they had 2 pistols laying on open cases on the bench. One of them then picked one up and took it to the firing line. I cannot recall if a mag was in it, but they were loading mags at the bench, which is ok.

I told the guy that the range owner doesn't allow that but he seemed not to really care and kept doing it. Another dude there kind of eyeballed me and shook his head.

It was a very uncomfortable feeling. Did I think I was gonna get shot? Well, not really but that is how accidents can happen, right?

It was a very odd feeling of being rattled. I didn't want to "confront" the guy so I finished my work and left, letting the RM know what was going on. It wasn't Roger; I don't know the RM's name. I just wanted to leave, and I did.

Anyway I've never had that odd feeling like that, it's hard to express.
Rodentman

Re: A funny feeling...

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Go to Bills in Robinsdale, you can get that feeling 3-4 times a visit. It is why I don't go there anymore.

I don't take the chance, speak up, you have to protect yourself. If it continues go to the range officer and make it clear you want the problem stopped NOW!

I am nice and informative on the first close call, however I will stop someone before they sweep me. If however they get snotty (and some do) I'm quick to firmly explain they will not point any gun at me. I have not intent of letting some know it all idiot end my days.
mmcnx2

Postby Rodentman on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:27 pm

Well said!
Rodentman

Postby loose on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Ah the perks of not having to shoot on a range!
loose

Postby LePetomane on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 pm

I was at Metro a few years ago and experienced something similar. A guy was loading a large caliber revolver at the back table and bringing it to the lane with his finger on the trigger. I left immediately and notified the guy at the counter. I will not shoot around people who do not respect range rules.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Synergy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:53 pm

I was just up at Bullseye and there was a guy walking around with an (I assume loaded) AR asking for help on how to "work" it. Another guy stepped in to help so the problem didn't persist but it did make me feel a bit uncomfortable.
Synergy

Postby Spartan on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:31 pm

its up to everyone to help police the range .... some people are just idiots and you need to correct them quickly before you and everyone else is in danger.... some people are just ignorant and have no training .... jump in and show them the right way emphasis on safety as soon as you id the issue.... some people you need to report and get them off the range ....
Spartan

Postby JohnGageMN on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:33 pm

Spartan wrote:its up to everyone to help police the range .... some people are just idiots and you need to correct them quickly before you and everyone else is in danger.... some people are just ignorant and have no training .... jump in and show them the right way emphasis on safety as soon as you id the issue.... some people you need to report and get them off the range ....

Very much this.

There are a lot of folks who are new to shooting and have just recently taken it up. It's not a bad thing to politely offer to help them.
<= Helping save stupid people from themselves since 1997.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Postby gunsmith on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Rodentman wrote:No, not too many acorns, but at a trip to BPR I had an odd feeling which was new to me. A couple was shooting a couple of bays to my left in a fully occupied range, and they had 2 pistols laying on open cases on the bench. One of them then picked one up and took it to the firing line. I cannot recall if a mag was in it, but they were loading mags at the bench, which is ok.

I told the guy that the range owner doesn't allow that but he seemed not to really care and kept doing it. Another dude there kind of eyeballed me and shook his head.

It was a very uncomfortable feeling. Did I think I was gonna get shot? Well, not really but that is how accidents can happen, right?

It was a very odd feeling of being rattled. I didn't want to "confront" the guy so I finished my work and left, letting the RM know what was going on. It wasn't Roger; I don't know the RM's name. I just wanted to leave, and I did.

Anyway I've never had that odd feeling like that, it's hard to express.

I haven't had the same experience but there was an opportunity to 'charm' them into compliance...you had other things to do...but. IMO it's a good skill to have...nobody likes being corrected by a Dick head but you do have the option of the 'high road'....I think it always makes the difference to have a personal connection before griping.

I get it that you didn't want to get your own feathers ruffled but if you had put in a 'friendly reminder' it would be that much easier next time. I think everybody (except stinky rednecks) respects 'Polite Frankness' :)

gunsmith

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:00 pm

I have never been to an in-door shooting range, nor really care too after reading this thread. I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot out my back door. Only time I go to the actual local shooting range is when I'm with someone taking their carry class. Even up here the carry classes are outside (Yes even in the dead of winter up here). The shooting part of the class is kept short and sweet. 12 rounds on a target, 6 from 6ft, and 6 from 12ft.

My buddy didn't even renew his membership to the local range because of scheduling issues of events. Seems like whenever he wanted to go shooting even when there wasn't anything scheduled on the events calendar there would be some group of tactical elites out there taking up the whole range, and won't let him shoot.

If we ever see summer we plan on doing some shooting a another local small community range that's free of most of the "drama" found at a lot of ranges...
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

A funny feeling...

Postby jshuberg on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

I shoot at Bills 2-3 times a week. Assertions that people uncase on the rear bench and sweep the line 3-4 times per visit is complete BS. It does happen occasionally, but nowhere near as frequently as some report. It's at it's worst before hunting season. Hunters are about the most unsafe group I've seen at any range, especially the old timers that think they know everything about firearms.

Most of the time it's someone uncasing a rifle, and the keep the muzzle elevated. Most people who uncase pistols behind the line also walk their guns either muzzle up or muzzle down. Only on very rare occasions have I seen someone actually sweep the line. It happens at every public range. It shouldn't, but some people just don't understand the range rules.

If I see someone uncasing behind the line, I let them know they're violating safety rules. Only on one occasion several years ago did someone blow me off, and he swept me again when changing to a different pistol. After the second time I told him that the next time his muzzle sweeps anyone, mine is coming out aimed directly at his chest with my finger on the trigger as I now consider him to be a threat. He looked at me for a couple seconds, packed his gear and left. Hopefully he sold all his firearms gear and started collecting stamps or something.
Last edited by jshuberg on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby LumberZach on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Was there much of a wait at BPR today? I was going to take my parents shooting and they prefer the gander range(why I don't know) but they were full with reservations till 7:00. We drove past BPR and the lot was pretty full so we just went home. I will stop derailing now. I very much appreciate the thought of "everyone is a RSO". If I were inadvertently breaking a safety, I would want someone to remind me.
LumberZach

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Rodent man, IMO you did the right thing. Sure, most likley nothing would have happened, but say it did and you hadn't said something? Anyways, it sucks that you had to have your good time ruined. I have seen Roger Chew out a few people in my time...to bad he wasn't there that day.
Jack's My dog

Postby Rodentman on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:26 pm

I did tell the guy nicely that he should case and uncase only at the line, but he didn't seem to care and that's what really got to me.

There were a lot of cars at BRP early because they had a class that starts before the range opens at 10 AM.
Rodentman

Postby JTapper on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:32 pm

LumberZach wrote:Was there much of a wait at BPR today? I was going to take my parents shooting and they prefer the gander range(why I don't know) but they were full with reservations till 7:00. We drove past BPR and the lot was pretty full so we just went home. I will stop derailing now. I very much appreciate the thought of "everyone is a RSO". If I were inadvertently breaking a safety, I would want someone to remind me.

The pistol bays were, and people were waiting, but I didn't overhear any wait times. A friend and I were over in the Rifle bay, pretty quiet over there, just a couple of us shooting .22 while my son was at a birthday party.

I was guilty of breaking the rules myself, though not as severe. I popped off two rapid-fire shots with my AR and was reminded not to do that. He was nice about it though. I'm sure he had just dealt with the guy who emptied two mags in rapid fire in the center bay just a few minutes earlier.
JTapper

Next

Return to Handguns