Anybody have a G42 yet?

Discussion of handguns

Anybody have a G42 yet?

Postby patrick on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Just wondering about these little pistols.I'll wait for the 9mm come out,if it ever does.Might buy a .380 at some point.Probably be a lot of slightly used ones for sale if the 9mm does ever come out.
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Re: Anybody have a G42 yet?

Postby hunterfreakhd on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby JTapper on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Brother bought one (Not dtapper, my other brother), had a chance to shoot it last month when I was down in Tampa for work. Certainly made me rethink buying a .380 for carry. Fun little gun to shoot. Very comfortable, not awkward or cheap feeling like a Ruger LCP or KelTec P3AT.

If you can get your hands on one, only for a few rounds, they're worth trying out.
JTapper

Postby LePetomane on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:20 am

Does anyone know if Bill's has one to try out????
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:21 am

Come to Bill's Shooters Show April 4th or 5th and you can shoot the G42 for free.. just pay for ammo
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Randygmn on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:35 pm

1400 hundred flawless rounds through mine so far. Won't cycle the Barnes tac-xpd all copper JHP rounds. Carry this IWB and in a leather holster rig sometimes. Incredibly accurate and unbelievably light recoil for a small (but not too small), .380. For anyone interested in this caliber, I'd suggest giving this gun a long look.
Randygmn

Postby Minge on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks to randy my wife and I were able to shoot this very user friendly 380. Much more pleasant shooting then our ruger lcp..May be trading for this soon. The 42 is really hard to find right now but will be on my short list.

Thanks randy, nice range in Rogers as well..
Minge

Postby Randygmn on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Minge wrote:Thanks to randy my wife and I were able to shoot this very user friendly 380. Much more pleasant shooting then our ruger lcp..May be trading for this soon. The 42 is really hard to find right now but will be on my short list.

My pleasure. Just paying it forward a little bit. For those that don't know, I took my 12 year old daughter to shoot this week for the first time. The next day we went back and a very nice man offered my girl a chance to shoot his AK 47. She did and now has a memory she'll cherish forever.

Good luck in tracking down that pair of 42's. great carry AND range gun.
Randygmn

Postby greenfarmer on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Minge wrote:Thanks to randy my wife and I were able to shoot this very user friendly 380. Much more pleasant shooting then our ruger lcp..May be trading for this soon. The 42 is really hard to find right now but will be on my short list.

I bought one at Mills in Chaska a few weeks ago. Must have been around the first of march or so. They had one on hand. I believe it was 439 If I remember correctly. I didn't shoot mine until last week. Love it! Nice little piece. Seems when I buy a gun I don't always get around to shooting it right away. Still have one in the safe that was bought last june that still has the factory oil all over it yet. I haven't even cleaned it up. A few of us rode to Mankato on a Friday night for Bike Night at Busters. Stopped at Gander and ended up buying a Taurus PT24/7 G2C for pretty cheap. (or what I considered cheap) and still haven't used it.

If Glock comes out with a single stack 9 like the G42, i'd be very interested in that as well. The 380 is very nice. And if you practice with it quite a bit, I believe it's an adequate carry. I'd concern myself more with shot placement than caliber. Im pretty sure that the bad guy isn't going to look and giggle when he sees a little 380, or run scared if he sees you with a 500 smith. I'm pretty sure that's not going to scare him. But 2 in the chest and one in the head will get his attention. And with a G42, I think that would be awful quick. Back on target fast with this gun. But it's all just my opinion.
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby JTapper on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Ordered one yesterday morning from Cheaperthandirt. For once they were actually cheaper than dirt. $409 w/ free shipping.

Of course they were out of stock by 7:00am. I ordered mine at 4:45am.
JTapper

Postby JTapper on Sat May 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Finally purchased some holsters for my 42. For anyone looking for a decent OWB, Arnzen has a DeSantis Mini Scabbard for $48. Picked one up today, adjusted the retention, and have been wearing it since I left the parking lot.

I also ordered an IWB from Ozarks. I've purchased several Ozarks holsters now and have been impressed for the price. I like that the clips are plain, and don't have a logo on them like the crossbreeds, plus I like supporting the individual business owner. Dustin Osborn hand makes every Ozarks holster each weekend. Great guy to deal with, and I can't wait to receive it.
JTapper

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon May 05, 2014 8:26 pm

Being it's the first year for it, and the unicorn status of the gun I decided to go with the Kahr CW380 instead. I got the gun transfer to my dealer for under $350, and it's been flawless. I have a G19 for carry if I need a 9mm. But the Kahr is perfect for pocket carry and that's what I bought it for.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby CIBOIF on Tue May 06, 2014 7:32 pm

I purchased mine from Jordan at Schreyer Weapons Systems a couple weeks ago. Very reasonable price and it's a dandy shooter. I have used 6 types of personal defense ammo and 3 types of FMJ target. They all functioned flawlessly. I don't know why early models had some issues but mine has had no hiccups at all in over 350 rounds. I picked up extra mag online. I had to shop around to find them for a reasonable price. I also picked up the Pierce pinky extensions for the mags to give a little more grip on the pistol. I am currently using a DeSantis Pocket holster and it works great.

Light recoil, a Glock, thin, light, and no freaking external safeties. Great summer carry, back up carry or on its own as an EDC.

If you want some food for thought on carry ammo regarding the .380 ACP, this is a great source. I carry the Federal Hydrashok as it has some of the best performance.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/
CIBOIF

Return to Handguns