Wonky magazine

Discussion of handguns

Wonky magazine

Postby gdubya on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:52 pm

S&W 59 series factory 15 round magazine (used in my Marlin Camp 9) feeds ~10 rounds then needs some love taps to feed the rest. Peeling rounds out by hand after ~9-10 rounds the spring seems to catch and next few rounds are slack in the mag. Needs some taps to get them to snap up, then feeds normally. Pulled apart, cleaned with CLP, and now spring and inside mag are nice and shiny, but still the same. Is there something I should be looking to polish or check, does it sounds like I need a new spring, or is this mag just toast?
gdubya

Re: Wonky magazine

Postby Sorcerer on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:56 am

If you have a working mag, take a look at the follwer. if the follwer on your bad mag looks rough take some 600 grit sand paper and clean the follwer up. On a side thought, check that the spring is in correctly,top verses bottom and rotationaly, checking it agaist a working mag.
Sorcerer

Re: Wonky magazine

Postby Lunchbox on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:59 pm

If the follower isn't to blame look into getting some new springs. It could very well be that after use and abuse over the years the spring strength has just faded.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Return to Handguns