Banned FFL Handguns Transfer/Sat Night Specials

Discussion of handguns

Banned FFL Handguns Transfer/Sat Night Specials

Postby win_fcs on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:19 am

Hey Folks, Long post,,
I have been planning for MONTHS to spend my half of income tax refund to buy a Full size semi auto 22 for plinking. I HAD been eyeing the ATI GSG 1911 until recently when I read on this board, that MN forbids FFL transfers of certain handguns because they are considered Sat Night Specials. I found and read the MN statute but it does not state make and models.
(I looked in MNGT board reference section and cannot find a list)
So where can somebody find an all inclusive list for MN?
MN FFL’s MUST have a list to reference, correct?
Is it ALL GSG 1911 models?
The Sig 1911 22 LOOKS identical in my opinion, to the GSG 1911. The Sig specs says its frame is made out of PTFE ( a type of plastic/polymer) which has a lower melting point than zinc. (725 vs 625 F degrees). Yet I see no reference to IT being banned in MN.
Are there other calibers that are in the Sat Special classification in MN?
I don’t really want to buy a 22 target pistol so, should I scrap the 22 idea and go with a different caliber?
I am a newbie. Cost per round is a concern of mine as well as the cost of the weapon. I have started glancing at 9mm but it's ammo is not cheap relative to 22. I see an uptick in 22 on shelves here locally in Roch. I filed my taxes yesterday. Refund should be coming soon and weather is getting warmer. :)
Thank You!
Nick
win_fcs

Re: Banned FFL Handguns Transfer/Sat Night Specials

Postby westhope on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:59 am

I'm looking at my Sig 1911-22 and the frame is aluminum.

They are made by GSG for Sig. They are the same gun except for the Sig marking.

Mine only shoots the hot 22's reliably. (CCI Mini-Mags). It will jam occasionally using the cheap 22's.

I would highly recommend you look at the Ruger 22/45 series of pistols if you want something that feels like a 1911 and shoots the cheap 22 ammo well.

Don't worry about the frame material, it really only applies to die cast frames. If you see the gun for sale in a store, it is OK to buy in MN.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Uffdaphil on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:16 am

I loves a Browning Buck Mark.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby farmerj on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:22 am

I've got the Ruger MKII. Cousin has the Browning Buckmark. They are both reliable guns for the money.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 am

One plus to the Ruger is there are ton of swap parts to personalize it if you want. Everything from grips, triggers, barrels, comp's ect.

I have a Mark I and III, they are a blast.
mmcnx2

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:26 am

Ruger 22/45 are nice and provide a good training platform for having a 1911 45ACP later.

Keep in mind a larger .22 versus something like SR22 or Mosquito offer even less recoil feedback which can get boring...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby Randygmn on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:22 pm

I don't know what the cost and price differences are between the pistols being considered are, but;
I took my daughter to the range last week for the first time (I will be posting about that experience in the next few days) and we rented the Walther P22. I have nothing but great things to day about that firearm. Really surprised it had such a solid build, great trigger and was very accurate in my hands.

Ammo for the 22lr is a double edged sword. Very, very economical and a good way to train on a specific platform when its possible to own identical pistols in different calibers. The biggest problem is finding this stuff. I'm not interested in investing in a caliber in which availability fluctuates so drastically month to month. Case in point, I was at cabelas in Rogers at 9:30 this morning. They had 10 boxes of 50 on the shelf. $2.99 a box. 2 box limit. I bought 2. Would've bought them all if I could've. I don't hoard. I shoot everything I buy. 100 rounds would last my daughter a half hour, lol. They had (past tense) .380 too. First time in a month. Bought every box (1000 rounds of PMC and 150 Winchester). That'll last me 2-3 weeks.
Randygmn

Postby Mn01r6 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Randygmn wrote:I don't know what the cost and price differences are between the pistols being considered are, but;
I took my daughter to the range last week for the first time (I will be posting about that experience in the next few days) and we rented the Walther P22. I have nothing but great things to day about that firearm. Really surprised it had such a solid build, great trigger and was very accurate in my hands.

Ammo for the 22lr is a double edged sword. Very, very economical and a good way to train on a specific platform when its possible to own identical pistols in different calibers. The biggest problem is finding this stuff. I'm not interested in investing in a caliber in which availability fluctuates so drastically month to month. Case in point, I was at cabelas in Rogers at 9:30 this morning. They had 10 boxes of 50 on the shelf. $2.99 a box. 2 box limit. I bought 2. Would've bought them all if I could've. I don't hoard. I shoot everything I buy. 100 rounds would last my daughter a half hour, lol. They had (past tense) .380 too. First time in a month. Bought every box (1000 rounds of PMC and 150 Winchester). That'll last me 2-3 weeks.

1150 rounds every 3 weeks? That's 20k rounds of .380 a year. You need to start reloading.
Mn01r6

Postby Thunderjohn on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Unless Sig changed the zinc frame of their 1911-22 in the past 2 weeks, it's still zinc.
Most of the info is in other posts, but to answer one question,
no one seems to have a 'list'.
We need to be aware of what frames are made out of and determine if we are willing
to break the law. I'm not willing to do so.

As others have said there are many nice 22's to choose from that are legal in MN.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby farmerj on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:07 pm

technically, ANY polymer frame pistol then is a saturday night special then based on melting points.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Eleanor08 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:19 pm

I don't know about the legality of the Sig 1911-22 in MN. But I did buy one from a dealer at the large MN weapons collector's show a few years back.

Although I was initially impressed with, it soon faded. It was in my opinion a pile. Feed issues, was all over the paper at a rest, just a junky gun in my opinion. I don't know if I bought a lemon or what, but it is the ONLY firearm I have ever sold..

My opinion is regardless of it's legality, get something different. I personally like the single action revolvers for .22. It's more hand work than a semi auto, but it's fun to play with ejecting the spent brass, and you won't burn through that rare .22 as fast.

I would also note that I personally think a lever action rifle in .22 is the cats meow.. those golden boys are some serious fun.
Eleanor08

Postby Randygmn on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:
Randygmn wrote:I don't know what the cost and price differences are between the pistols being considered are, but;

1150 rounds every 3 weeks? That's 20k rounds of .380 a year. You need to start reloading.

Yikes. That seems a little high. More like 15k per year. And yes, I've been collecting my brass for the last 4 or 5 months. Would like to learn to reload this summer.
Randygmn

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:15 pm

farmerj wrote:technically, ANY polymer frame pistol then is a saturday night special then based on melting points.

Because it does not melt (as in turning to liquid) Polly frames are never Sat night specials.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby farmerj on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:23 pm

LarryFlew wrote:
farmerj wrote:technically, ANY polymer frame pistol then is a saturday night special then based on melting points.

Because it does not melt (as in turning to liquid) Polly frames are never Sat night specials.

Melt or flow point? After working in injection molding, I'd say its a strong gray area if someone really wanted to push the topic.

And considering that polymer manufacturers specify a "melt point" significantly less than what is specified in the regulations, it would not fare well for the gun manufacturer.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Law says melting point. Not a Tupperware fan myself but putting Glocks etc into the mix at this point might not fare well.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Next

Return to Handguns