First Revolver Need Opinions on Ruger vs. S&W

Discussion of handguns

Postby Minge on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:24 am

I am looking to purchase my first revolver and have my search narrowed down to the the Smith and Wesson 686 SSR or the Ruger GP100 Match Champion. I want something I can keep a good long time built well and is accurate. These two pistols seem to fit the bill and was wondering if anyone have any first hand experience with either of these or can help tilt the scales one way or another. Money is not a driving force behind my decision so saving a few bucks one over the other is not a big motivator. It will be used just for the range if that helps at all.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.
Minge

Re: First Revolver Need Opinions on Ruger vs. S&W

Postby Eleanor08 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:11 pm

Well, I will comment with my opinions.

First off I just bought a Ruger GP100, but have not shot it yet.
Second I own a Smith Model 66-3, it is a .357 mag revolver similar to the 686. It is lighter, and does not have the full under lug like the 686.

So owning both I fell pretty decent giving you some solid opinions.

Fit and finish. Though the Ruger is a beautiful gun, it does fall short compared to my Smith. I am a machinist and notice things like chatter, and craftsmanship someone put into making some thing. The Smith's fit and finish are very very good, and the Ruger I found chatter on some machined surfaces, and burrs on other areas. Nothing in any area that you will real notice with out looking for it, but there none the less. So the Smith wins this round..

Trigger.. Again I have not shot the Ruger, but I have use snap caps and tried the trigger on both of them just to see if I could tell a difference. And I could. The Smith broke like a glass rod, but the Ruger you could feel just the smallest something before it broke. Now could I tell if I was just out shooting. Not likely, but side by side you could fell the difference. Now when it comes to Double Action, I like the Ruger better, it had a solid distinction when the hammer was cocked and ready to break. So the Smith was better in Single action, but the I like the Ruger with the DA.

Function.. This time the Ruger gets the nod, it sounds and feels like a machine when you cock the hammer. The Smith is a older gun (80's) so this could be why the Ruger feels better in this area.

I bought my Ruger as a "working" gun for out in the woods, and my Smiths are in the safe for range time only. So not really apples to apples, plus my Smiths are all older, made when Smith and Wesson had more attention to detail (my opinion).

If I where you, I would go someplace where you can play with both, try the triggers, look them over, feel them out. In the end it just my come down to what one catches your eye.
Eleanor08

Postby Minge on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Getting in hand type feel them both is going to be difficult with these exact pistols as they are pretty hard to find. I reached out to a couple of places and they both said Gunbroker if you want it now or be prepared for a long wait. Fit and finish is important which does lead me more towards the Smith and Wesson.
Minge

Postby Eleanor08 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Keep in mind my Smith's are older ones, I can't tell you if the new Smith's still have the same type of fit and finish. Hopefully someone with a newer Smith can comment.
Eleanor08

Postby Minge on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:37 pm

I recently purchased an e-series 45 auto S&W and I can tell you that is a beautiful piece and I am more then happy with it.
Minge

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm

I've been thinking really hard about getting a Ruger GP100 Match Champion. I've come across other GP100's but the Match Champion is pretty near impossible to find right now. If you want it sooner rather then later probably going to find the S&W first. Either one is going to be a fine gun that will serve you well for many years to come.
grimbeaver

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Check out rugerforum.net for some reviews of the Match Champion.

I've only shot a 686 a couple times and they seem like a great gun, but I really like the tank-like sturdiness of my GP100.
Pat Cannon

Postby Eleanor08 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:56 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Check out rugerforum.net for some reviews of the Match Champion.

I've only shot a 686 a couple times and they seem like a great gun, but I really like the tank-like sturdiness of my GP100.

I second that.. my GP 100 feels like she's meant to work.

I will tell you, I had one Heck of a time tracking down my GP100. I wanted a 4" or 6". And it was hard to find. 3" or less are found but the longer ones are tough right now.

My advice is check Cabela'S gun library. If you see one in a library somewhere, it's only a $25 fee to have sent to a local Cabela's for inspection before buying it if you like.
Eleanor08

Postby curteric on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Go looking for a Dan Wesson Model 15. You won't be disappointed. Way better than either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curteric

Postby LePetomane on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:01 pm

I cannot speak for the Ruger but I do have a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel and it is a fine gun.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Countryfried Frank on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm

My experience is that, generally speaking, the S&W revo's are more refined but the Rugers are heartier. At least the OP didn't ask the Glock/1911 question.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby gun_fan111 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:41 pm

I was looking for a S&W 586 of current production for my first revolver - the styling appeals to me on that one.
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby IDPA Shooter on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 pm

I own a sweet 686 4" and have seen several 686 SSRs at IDPA matches. Shot one and they are a very fine gun in all respects.

If sport shooters know anything about guns, how many Rugers revolvers do you see at their matches?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby Evad on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 pm

I love my 625. I may get another revolver someday...but this one is so damn nice.
Evad

Re:

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 pm

IDPA Shooter wrote:If sport shooters know anything about guns, how many Rugers revolvers do you see at their matches?

Yeah, I'm sure that's why Ruger decided make this "Match Champion" model. Some people do just fine with Rugers; Massad Ayoob won the New England Regional IDPA match a few times with a GP100. Me, I'm just happy to beat somebody at any match I go to.

My greatest moment of competition glory with my GP100 was the one time I beat SelurCSPI in the Man v. Man at a steel match. I believe he was shooting a 686. His fancy 625 had just broke and he was out of practice with the 686 so I beat him, by like a millisecond.

Jerry Miculek, the god of revolver shooters, likes Smiths mostly because of the trigger reset (and maybe not only because they pay him).
Pat Cannon

Next

Return to Handguns