Undergarment for IWB

Discussion of handguns

Undergarment for IWB

Postby LumberZach on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:35 am

Hey all,

This is something that I feel that I don't know as much about. I have heard a few people talking about the need to wear an undershirt if carrying IWB. What do you guys think of this? Seems like it will just get extra warm during the summer. I can understand it being much more comfortable, but how necessary is it?
LumberZach

Re: Undergarment for IWB

Postby CJB on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:06 am

in my experience, if you have a revolver with a rubber grip, it's almost a requirement. Your skin will thank you.

As for my polymer semi's, it doesn't bother me much to not have an under shirt. Also depends on the holster. My crossbreed offers some protection from the grips.
CJB

Postby photogpat on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:21 am

I carry mine in a remora holster.

Undershirt and smooth waistband underwear seems to be the least chafing, rubbing, annoying.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Evad on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:34 pm

I wear an undershirt every day...did it before I could carry so I don't know the difference. I can't think it would be comfortable without.
Evad

Postby igofast on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:45 pm

There's not only the concern for your comfort, but also what the gun is exposed to. Without a barrier layer the gun tends to be in more contact with moisture. Depending on how regular the gun gets cleaned there may be an issue with rust.
igofast

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:46 pm

A lot of it depends on the holster too, I know my N82 holster is comfortable either way - but the leather ones I've tried were terrible after a while. I do prefer a t-shirt or some sort of undershirt though.
Thunder71

Postby Randygmn on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:00 pm

I have two IWB holsters, 1 for my glock and the other for my beretta. Both have a leather guard that keeps the grip from contacting the skin. Both require an undershirt. The leather chafes the skin and does cause the area to sweat.
Randygmn

Postby Scratch on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:13 pm

I never wear undershirts. I carry a G17 in a hybrid IWB holster, at 3 0'clock. Most of the leather touches my tightie whites, the top of the leather touches my are skin. No problems here.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Scratch wrote:I never wear undershirts. I carry a G17 in a hybrid IWB holster, at 3 0'clock. Most of the leather touches my tightie whites, the top of the leather touches my are skin. No problems here.

Resale value just went down substantially. :D
Thunder71

Postby unit44justin on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:11 pm

I wear undershirts everyday, it de[ends on what kind you get. I used to wear just plain cotton hanes shirts but have since switched to the starter brand performance compression shirts. They are similar to under armor, only a third of the cost at $10 from wally world. They keep you cool in the summer and wick sweat away, they are also more durable than just plain cotton shirts.
unit44justin

Postby Evad on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:43 pm

igofast wrote:There's not only the concern for your comfort, but also what the gun is exposed to. Without a barrier layer the gun tends to be in more contact with moisture. Depending on how regular the gun gets cleaned there may be an issue with rust.

Glocks don't rust on the part that would touch skin ;)

Scratch wrote:I never wear undershirts. I carry a G17 in a hybrid IWB holster, at 3 0'clock. Most of the leather touches my tightie whites, the top of the leather touches my are skin. No problems here.

I am sort of surprised you don't wear leather panties.
Evad

Postby gman1868 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:03 pm

I don't do well with the heat myself. I wear either a V-neck or a tank top. Keeps the holster and the grip from chafing my side.
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Series 70 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:33 pm

I generally wear plain cotton t-shirts under whatever other shirt I wear. In hot weather, I've become fond of Under Armor's Charged Cotton t-shirts. They feel like cotton, but have very good wicking properties.

My IWB holsters have sweat guards that cover the slide, but not the stocks. For me, a sweat guard over the stocks interferes with getting a good firing grip. The ability to get a good firing grip fast is the most important part of the presentation.
Series 70

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:31 pm

I don't wear no steenkeng undershirt!! Put on a pair of 5-11 pants, throw a t-shirt over the top, shove my 50GI in the 3 o'clock position, and I'm ready to go! Then again, I'm an 800 pound troll, and I can sand down people's egos and cause all sorts of irritation, and we just keep getting more and more thin skinned n00bs in here all the time...... :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Scratch on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Evad wrote:

I am sort of surprised you don't wear leather panties.

I only wear leather panties for special occasions...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Next

Return to Handguns