1911 Guide Rod

Discussion of handguns

1911 Guide Rod

Postby GregM on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:46 pm

I have an Auto Ordnance 1911, Government style. I would like to replace the short guide rod and tube with a full length guide rod and bushing.

I'd be grateful for some advice.
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Re: 1911 Guide Rod

Postby White Horseradish on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Is there a particular reason you want to do that? Unless you just find the aesthetics of a gun with a FLGR particularly appealing, the only practical benefit of one (slight change in the balance of the gun) is, IMO, outweighed by the increase in takedown difficulty.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby Ramoel on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:33 pm

My advice is don't do it. John Browning knew what he was doing. You might decrease reliability, you won't make it any better.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby cobb on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:31 pm

I hear this a lot, it increases the difficulty of field stripping a 1911. Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on what type of guide rod that you get and what a person considers difficult. A solid one piece rod, the pistol will field strip basically the same way as a goverment model with the short rod . If it is a two piece rod, then there is one more step of using a hex/allen wrench, or depending on the style, maybe a standard screw driver to loosen the 2 piece guide rod to unthread it, then you field strip the same way.

Plus or minuses, I have read things both ways. The government short style rod works just fine and some top smiths build their guns with the government short rod. Some believe the full length rod helps to keep the recoil spring from binding and so those smith"s build their guns with the full length rod.

Me, I have guns with both and it really doesn't make much difference to me except on my Colt Delta Elites in 10mm, in those I use a full length tungsten guide. I like the added weight, but can't honestly say it makes that much difference.

So Greg, do it if you feel like it, it is an easy thing to install or remove and sell. I think it is much more important that people check for spring stack when the replace their recoil springs, especially if they are using a buffer, but I bet most don't.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby 1911fan on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:41 pm

it only works for wieght or very light recoil springs with popper loads.
1911fan

Postby GregM on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:57 pm

I have heard (can't remember where ... ) that a full length rod improves accuracy. But I'm a total ignoramus in such matters, so I have to ask.

Is there any modification that will improve the accuracy of a stock 1911? Or is it basically practice, practice, practice?
GregM

Postby cobb on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:27 pm

A forum you might want to check out about you questions -
http://forums.1911forum.com/
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby gunnerbmg on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:55 am

I would look at your trigger pull first, a tuned trigger is a big factor.....IMHO
"arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden times" Winston Churchill
gunnerbmg

Postby White Horseradish on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:56 am

GregM wrote:I have heard (can't remember where ... ) that a full length rod improves accuracy. But I'm a total ignoramus in such matters, so I have to ask.

You mostly hear this from the guys selling the rods and wrenches. :)
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby GregM on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:50 am

White Horseradish wrote:
GregM wrote:I have heard (can't remember where ... ) that a full length rod improves accuracy. But I'm a total ignoramus in such matters, so I have to ask.

You mostly hear this from the guys selling the rods and wrenches. :)

Good one! That's probably where I heard it ...
GregM

Postby jac714 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:34 am

The only real advantage I can see to a FLGR is to put more weight at the muzzle using tungsten or something else.

Haveing sasid that I have two 1911's with FLGRs but they are 4" guns and came that way from the factory. I've never had a problem with them, but then again I have never had a problem with the GI length guide rod. I think in most cases the FLGR is more marketing hype than necessary.

Just my .02.
Last edited by jac714 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to fix units
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm in favor of full length guide rods, particularly in heavily sprung guns. If you have the short one, a combination of a heavy spring and a short guide rod can yield this kind of "crunchy raspy springy" noise of the spring adopting a somewhat serpetine shape before it's fully compressed and all the way onto the rod, and rubbing on the inside of the frame of the gun.

The original short plastic guide rods in Delta Elites were extraordinarily cheap and weird, in that they had two springs like the Desert Eagle setup, and they they didn't stand up to abuse very well. Not good PARTICULARLY for a 10mm.

Takedown with a long solid guide rod in my Delta Elite is no problem. Takedown with a two piece long guide rod in my Springfield V-16 longslide in 45 Super is a hude pain in the ass. Takedown with my 50GI is easier than normal, because it's a bushingless slide with a reverse plug spring guide, and there is a hole drilled in the guide rod. Pull the slide back until it locks, drop a small pin in the hole in the guide rod, and then thumb the slide release. The pin holds the spring compressed on the rod, and takedown is a snap.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby plblark on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:36 am

jac714 wrote:I have two 1911's with FLGRs but they are 4' guns and came that way from the factory.

That is one HECK of a guide rod. I mean, 4 FEET of barrel probably doesn't need any more weight out front, never mind the concealment aspect ;-)
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:41 am

Hell, 4' long is only a few inches more than a Smith 500, so what's the big deal??

BTW - is this poster a fisherman?? That could also explain it. A longslide 45 measured with your standard fisherman's tape measure would come in at just under 4 feet...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby jac714 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:35 pm

Colon, quotation mark ht's the difference? :shock: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll correct it right now.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Next

Return to Handguns