Which Subcompact, if at all?

Discussion of handguns

Postby lumbering.buffalo on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:32 pm

My go-to carry gun is the 642. I cut my teeth on revolvers and though I have a number of full-size semiautomatics from 9's to 45's I keep pulling out the 642 when I carry. A long time ago I had a SS Speed Six which I sold away (one of many regretful decisions). I am toying with finding another one of those instead of a 5-shot 357. On a different day I think about going for a subcompact. Probably a 9. I've looked at the R51, Shield, XD-S and the LC9. Have not seen the Sig (whose model escapes me).

After holding one R51 I wasn't all that impressed so that leaves the other three. I will rent all three at some point which will help in the decision making process, but I'm looking for feedback from those who have one and why you chose the one you did.

I am looking for something smaller that I can just throw on (or drop into the pocket) and not have to dress around.

Maybe some are wondering why I would change platforms. That's a great question and one I haven't fully answered myself.

So let me know what you've learned, what you've leaned to or introduce to something I haven't considered.

Thanks.
lumbering.buffalo

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Sig P938.

Slightly larger than other subcompacts, but chambered in 9mm, has real sights, the slide locks back on the last round, and you can put a few hundred rounds through it without your hands ringing afterward.

If your actually looking for a compact rather than subcompact, check out the Sig P239. It's my EDC piece, and one of the best pistols I own. I can easily hold a 4" group at 25 yards with it, which is pretty damn good for a compact.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Re: Which Subcompact, if at all?

Postby BBeckwith on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm particular to the Kahr PM9.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby gun_fan111 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:16 pm

My current favorite is Kahr CW9. Everybody says the pull is just like a DA S&W revolver :)
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby Scratch on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I like the Kahr CM9 pretty much the same thing, little more stripped down version of the PM9.

I was wanting no safety, which left out the LC9 and the 938, but wanted thinner than the G26.

It shoots very well, the LC9 hurt my girlie hands for some reason.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:18 pm

I like the Ruger LCP or Glock 26 for pocket carry - though I've mostly switched to the G26 for pocket carry.

I have a 642 and like it a lot as well.

I'd say - carry what you're comfortable with and that suits your needs and carry style.

B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby old guy on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 pm

I find my Boberg gets the subcompact job most of the time, it's the size of a p3at .380 but is a 9mil with a 3.3 inch barell and 1/2 the felt recoil of a PF9 Kel-Tec.

John
old guy

Postby Hmac on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 pm

I have an Airweight. Last time I got it out, it made me realize what a great, flexible gun it is to carry. When I actually shot it, it reminded me what a vastly superior firearm my Walther PPS is. The 642 went back in the safe.
Hmac

Postby hunterfreakhd on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:47 pm

bstrawse wrote:I like the Ruger LCP or Glock 26 for pocket carry - though I've mostly switched to the G26 for pocket carry.

I'd say - carry what you're comfortable with and that suits your needs and carry style.

B

G26 pocket carry? Them some deep pockets ;) I'm an lcp fan.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby Mn01r6 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm

Hmac wrote:I have an Airweight. Last time I got it out, it made me realize what a great, flexible gun it is to carry. When I actually shot it, it reminded me what a vastly superior firearm my Walther PPS is. The 642 went back in the safe.

I need a PPS...and a G26. Mostly a G26 because I *want to be* a single platform guy.
Mn01r6

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm

hunterfreakhd wrote:
bstrawse wrote:I like the Ruger LCP or Glock 26 for pocket carry - though I've mostly switched to the G26 for pocket carry.

B

G26 pocket carry? Them some deep pockets ;) I'm an lcp fan.

I'm a big guy - I come with big shorts ;-)

I haven't found the G26 to be too comfy for pocket carry - I'm more likely to throw the 642 in my pocket - or just put on the IWB holster with the Glock 19...

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby gunsmith on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:13 pm

The Glock single stack 9mm will be available for Christmas Delivery :)
gunsmith

Postby gman1868 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:04 pm

It seems everyone has a favorite. I presume that they like how it shoots and have found it reliable. Have you considered going to the range and trying them before you buy?
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Hmac on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:17 am

Mn01r6 wrote:
I need a PPS...and a G26. Mostly a G26 because I *want to be* a single platform guy.

I've never seen the utility of that, personally, but is understand the theoretical advantages.

Anyway, I'm pretty much a single platform guy too...the platform being 9mm.
Hmac

Postby Mn01r6 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:35 am

Hmac wrote:
Mn01r6 wrote:

I've never seen the utility of that, personally, but is understand the theoretical advantages.

Anyway, I'm pretty much a single platform guy too...the platform being 9mm.

Remembering to sweep off the safety on a shield in a high stress tenth of a second is something I don't want to have to think about or remember, since it is completely different from the way I draw for competition (g34 ) or for winter carry (g19). I think any striker fired pistol with no manual safety would be 99.99% as good as "same platform" but the shield with the safety doesn't meet that criteria. same platform has the added benefit of using interchangeable magazines and holsters but that's just a convenience/cost factor.

I do carry with the manual safety off on the shield, but I still have to train to sweep it off just to be sure.

I am also a 9mm platform guy :)
Mn01r6

Next

Return to Handguns