Bad day at the range yesterday!

Discussion of handguns

Re: Bad day at the range yesterday!

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Based on the shooter's experience:

On shot #29 I felt a sharp jolt in my hand

This isn't metal fatigue - if it had been the recoil would have been normal or less, and he still would have gotten particles in his face. Where did the extra momentum come from if not from a double load??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 pm

If the gun was originally sold in 2010 from Brazo and your the 4th owner I have to ask why is it moving around that much and is it still all original parts. I've got a open gun from Bob and his quality is excellent. Clearly something was either wrong with the ammo(which is the strongest possibility) or someone did a barrel/link swap and did not know what they were doing.

It will be interesting if your ammo manufacturer will step up and replace the gun.
mmcnx2

Bad day at the range yesterday!

Postby dtapper2 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:15 pm

That is a terrible thing to see happen to that firearm, I'm glad you're safe.

I've personally handled and shot that exact pistol, it is a dang shame to see such a functional piece of art be blown up like that. I sure hope everything gets sorted out.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:58 am

mmcnx2 wrote:It will be interesting if your ammo manufacturer will step up and replace the gun.

A bargain "remanufactured" (whatever that means....) ammo dealer replacing a $2600 gun?? Hah!! Halle Berry will show up and make me her boy-toy before that happens.....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby mrp on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:19 am

Seismic Sam wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:It will be interesting if your ammo manufacturer will step up and replace the gun.

A bargain "remanufactured" (whatever that means....) ammo dealer replacing a $2600 gun?? Hah!! Halle Berry will show up and make me her boy-toy before that happens.....

So you're saying there's a chance...
mrp

Postby rottenit on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:28 am

mmcnx2 wrote:If the gun was originally sold in 2010 from Brazo and your the 4th owner I have to ask why is it moving around that much and is it still all original parts. I've got a open gun from Bob and his quality is excellent. Clearly something was either wrong with the ammo(which is the strongest possibility) or someone did a barrel/link swap and did not know what they were doing.

It will be interesting if your ammo manufacturer will step up and replace the gun.

I've tore down and cleaned it 2 times since July when I bought it. Everything looked right only modifications from aside from what Bob did was a custom grip stipple, and a dawson ice magwel. Previous owner to me was getting out of .40. I got his dies, brass, bullets, powder, 2 holster rigs (1 3-gun, 1 uspsa), and another holster. According to him the guy who owned it before moved to open class and got a STI that was done by someone in MN.
m going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
rottenit

Postby rottenit on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:31 am

Seismic Sam wrote:

Not really a bargain even without factoring in the blown up gun, there new vs reman ammo was about 1 cent each apart. They were out of 180 JHP new and I wanted to try there bullets out so I grabbed the reman stuff. If I look at the prices on the website now I paid more for the reman vs new. :cry:
m going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
rottenit

Postby rottenit on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:32 am

dtapper2 wrote:That is a terrible thing to see happen to that firearm, I'm glad you're safe.

I've personally handled and shot that exact pistol, it is a dang shame to see such a functional piece of art be blown up like that. I sure hope everything gets sorted out.

It was a sweet, sweet gun. Only thing I would have changed, I don't like the STI grip safety, I have an ed brown here that I was going to put on after the season was over.

rottenit

Postby Rodentman on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:15 pm

It's a real shame that happened. I hope you get everything sorted to your satisfaction, but that usually isn't the case in such matters.
Rodentman

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 am

rottenit wrote: They seem like a moderately large company that seems to cater to the action shooting crowd. I've shot about 2500 rounds new and reman from them without a single issue. They say they pressure test all cases.

Okay, how do you pressure test a case without actually firing a calibrated load of some sort through it in a gun?? SAAMI pressure for a 40 S&W is 40,000 PSI, and you sure as hell can't get to that level with compressed air. Hydraulically you might be able to, but that would be one hideously expensive piece of equipment to build, and you certainly couldn't do a case more than every 5 seconds, which would be ruinously expensive. And if they are firing standard or proof loads, that DOUBLES the cost of the ammo because they have to load it TWICE to be able to sell it to you for LESS than factory ammo??? I smell BS here....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Bessy on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:24 am

Seismic Sam wrote:
rottenit wrote: They seem like a moderately large company that seems to cater to the action shooting crowd. I've shot about 2500 rounds new and reman from them without a single issue. They say they pressure test all cases.

Okay, how do you pressure test a case without actually firing a calibrated load of some sort through it in a gun?? SAAMI pressure for a 40 S&W is 40,000 PSI, and you sure as hell can't get to that level with compressed air. Hydraulically you might be able to, but that would be one hideously expensive piece of equipment to build, and you certainly couldn't do a case more than every 5 seconds, which would be ruinously expensive. And if they are firing standard or proof loads, that DOUBLES the cost of the ammo because they have to load it TWICE to be able to sell it to you for LESS than factory ammo??? I smell BS here....

Sam,

They are probably talking about using compressed air to ensure the cases don't have any cracks (leakage),... at least that would be my guess. I recall watching an ammo factory tour where they preformed this step.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:08 am

Thank you for the clarification Bessy. For finding cracks, that makes sense. I was thinking about testing the actual strength of the brass case, and obviously that made no sense at all. In reality, then, they are doing leak testing rather than determining the strength of the case.

Bottom line, based on the extra sharp recoil, the only way to make that happen is to double charge a case to generate that extra felt momentum.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Snakeman721 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Which is why I ONLY buy NEW manufactured ammo from large well known companies like Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Federal, PMC...etc. I'm not saying a Kaboom won't ever happen with those manufacturers, but it's a very, very remote possibility.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby crbutler on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:07 pm

As to extra sharp recoil, that is not only the ammo. If the gun locked up, then the energy used in running the action is transmitted to the shooter.

Not quite an apples to apples, but I had a para break the link once when I was chronographing some .45 loads. I thought that I had double charged and broken the gun. The recoil was really heavy and sharp. However, on checking, Velocity was right at 830 fps, and once I beat the piece open, found the broken barrel link, I figured out the problem.

Point is, this particular gun, the barrel chamber area came apart, and the case head is still visible. Commercially re manufactured ammo is not real likely to be bad, not that it can't be, and the gun is stuck in a locked up position, so I would not be certain the shooter's perception is enough to say that any one part of the failure loop is the cause.

I would expect to see a visible bulge in the barrel with a squib/jacket separation.

I also would expect to see evidence that the unsupported portion of the case head let go if it was a dangerously over pressure round, or if it was an out of battery detonation.

Something like this there are always enough unknown variables that the lawyers can always find something "else" that could cause it. I agree it was a bad day at the range. You were fortunate to take the precautions that you did and that this along with a dose of luck kept you from any physical problems, but you will likely be taking a hit in the wallet to repair or replace the gun.
crbutler

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:56 am

crbutler wrote:As to extra sharp recoil, that is not only the ammo. If the gun locked up, then the energy used in running the action is transmitted to the shooter.

Not quite an apples to apples, but I had a para break the link once when I was chronographing some .45 loads. I thought that I had double charged and broken the gun. The recoil was really heavy and sharp. However, on checking, Velocity was right at 830 fps, and once I beat the piece open, found the broken barrel link, I figured out the problem.

You know, now that you mention it, I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago with a 440 Corbon Magnum barrel for my 50DE. The chamber had not been finished at all, so it was very rough, and when you fired a round the case stuck in the chamber and wouldn't let the action slide back, and the gun did indeed kick like a mule. Not that a DE in regular use doesn't kick, but this actually made my wrist ache. Thanks for pointing this out.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns