Handgun hunting.

Discussion of handguns

Handgun hunting.

Postby kowalzekc on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I was out in the woods This weekend (who wasn't right) and I was lugging my 26" heavy barrel remington. I got to thinking that if I'm beating the brush, what about carrying a handgun around. Just curious what others are doing, what set up do you have and what ranges can you go out to?

I was thinking of a 44 mag with a scope.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Re: Handgun hunting.

Postby LumberZach on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:29 pm

I have been very heavily contemplating a ruger redhawk in 44 mag with a nikon scope and a chest holster. It would make fighting the brush I run through much easier, but money and other guns. 44 mag seems to be the way to go from the looking around I have been doing. Though a SW 460 would take care of the long shots better than a .44...
LumberZach

Postby tullibee on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:37 pm

I hunted this weekend with my .44 Super Redhawk. unfortunately, I haven't seen any deer at all. :(
will likely switch to the trusty 30-30 since I'll probably switch to a stand with a little more distance potential in the morning as my hunting buddy went home a day early.

I really like the revolver for traipsing thru the thick crap trying to move deer toward buddies in stands later in the season.
tullibee

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:29 am

I've taken 4 deer with my GP100 in 357 Magnum using a healthy charge of WIN296 under a 180 grain XTP in Wisconsin, and 1 doe with a 22LR (at a distance of 2" behind head while laying on tree stand, not telling where, meat hunting for family while laid-off work)

But for a new revolver hunter, I would recommend a Ruger 44Mag in either Super Blackhawk or Redhawk. A scope is not required, but if you do, keep the lowest power not more than 1.5X or you will lose sight at closer ranges. I would recommend a 300 grain XTP reload.

In 1982 I took 2 deer with 1-shot using my 14" T/C Contender re-chambered from 44Mag to 444Marlin using a 320 grain cast bullet. Front deer was a 6 pt, doe was standing alongside totally hidden as both were in brush up to their bellies. Both dropped with broken front shoulders, bullet went thru and out, range was 15 yards and almost dark in Michigan.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:38 am

I had my 460 with me in a chest harness just in case I had a shot that lent itself to the handgun more than the AR. I got my deer with my Grendel though.
Ghost

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Grendel got the deer for you?? Where was Hansel while she was doing this?? :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:33 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Where was Hansel while she was doing this?? :P

Out handgun hunting. ;)
Ghost

Postby kowalzekc on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Ghost wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:Where was Hansel while she was doing this?? :P

Out handgun hunting. ;)

Hahaha. I see what you did there! B

On the serious note. Thanks for a couple of replies. This is stemming from a debate I am having with myself if I want to invest in a 44 mag revolver and scope it or if I want to try my luck next year with my AR pistol.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby LePetomane on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:08 pm

I have taken 3 whitetail deer with a S&W 686 .357 magnum with a Nikon scope. The .44 is nice but I like the .357 better for hunting.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Deputyhiro on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:49 pm

S&W 460. Just gotta bring ear plugs with you to the stand, or else you hear a hell of a ring for the next week or so.
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby bman940 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:05 pm

I love shooting my 44mag handguns. After shooting a .50 on time I no longer call my .44's hand cannon's when compared to .50's. I have hrvested one doe with my .44 and even one with my .45 acp from 10 yards away. One of the feature's I like the best on my Nikon Force XR is the BDC reticle. I have put 6 shots on a pie plate at 100 yards using Spot On and that is with me not being a good pistol shooter. I carry my .44 in a back pack while still hunting, I want to make sure I have a rock solid rest and know the ditance of my shot.

bman940

Postby Eric Marleau on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:41 pm

I feel confident with any one of my three .44 magnums with iron sights up to 75 yards.
I use my .44 magnums instead of a shotgun when I hunt around here.

When hunting at home in Ely, I carry my Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun that I have taken a pile of deer with.
I'll take my 45/70 any day over a pistol if I can have a choice.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Handgun hunting.

Postby bluelens on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:51 pm

I killed a 200 lb wild pig last month with my 686 357 magnum. Good shot placement is the key with any gun, use something you are comfortable with.
bluelens

Postby kowalzekc on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Well I think I will look into a revolver over my ar pistol. However im darn tempted to look at a 10mm Glock for deer instead. Anyone got good ideas on that?
kowalzekc

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:26 pm

kowalzekc wrote:Well I think I will look into a revolver over my ar pistol. However im darn tempted to look at a 10mm Glock for deer instead. Anyone got good ideas on that?

I've heard that if you load them to the MAX or even higher, that the 10mm is the best there is for hunting grizzly bears at close range from horseback. :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Get a Ruger Redhawk or Super Blackhawk in 44Magnum and be happy with your deer hunting revolver. Perfect gun for the application in my experience. :pickme: :pickme:
OldmanFCSA

Next

Return to Handguns