I've lost my dang mind! Bought another Taurus carry gun...

Discussion of handguns

I've lost my dang mind! Bought another Taurus carry gun...

Postby gdubya on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:37 am

...and I like it!

I was looking at this Millenium PT111 G2 only half-seriously, as an alternative to a G26 or M&P9C. I didn't like the G26 in the hand, M&P felt OK so I was thinking that direction, dubiously curious about the G2 but hadn't held one. Read a lot of really good reviews, and very few complaints. Enter $239 clearance sale at PSA and I couldn't resist trying one out. I had very low expectations, and they were exceeded dramatically.

Comes with cardboard box only, 2 mags, soft drawstring bag for firearm, soft bags for spare mag and keys. The thing looks very nice to my eye, and feels great in my hand. Just big enough for my long but relatively skinny hands to get a good 3-finger grip. The very aggressive stippling on the grip seems to be in exactly the right places where grip is needed but not anywhere that is uncomfortable like some stippled guns I have held, I also really like the concave spot for an indexed finger. It actually seemed to fit my High Noon Slide-guard OWB better than the Baby Eagle it was ordered for.

(sorry for poorly rotate or upside down pics, new phone and photobucket won't seem to rotate/flip)

I am not a frequent Glock shooter but the trigger felt very glock-like to my finger used to DA/SA hammer-fired pistols, very light take up, slight stack, clean break, short positive reset. I am no better than average shooter, but after some warm up I was able to consistenly place rounds inside a medium shoot n see sticker at 30 feet. It ate 100 rnds WWB, 100 rnds Federal, and 250 rnds of Herters as well as the last 20rnds I had of my usual PDX carry ammo, all flawlessly. Need to pick up and run a few more boxes of PDX through it just to be sure it will feed those 100% but so far very reassuring.

There are a couple things I do not like. One of the places they saved some money manufacturing was the tiny frame rails. Doesn't feel loose, but also not rock solid tight like my CZ clones either. Also, the front sight looks like it was made in a low-end Chinese factory, marginally molded plastic and white dot sloppily painted. I ordered some Williams firesights for just under $50 which I would have probably put on whatever I purchased. Per youtube, should also be able to fit Glock front sights that have a few thousands filed off them and their mounting screw.

So, my final calculation is that for about the price of the M&P9C (or G26) I got the PT 111 G2 and saved enough to pay for aftermarket sights, IWB and OWB holsters from Aliengear, and the ammo to run through it for break-in and reliability test for carry. I'm a happy man.

Size comparison with its little brother TCP.
Last edited by gdubya on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdubya

Re: I've lost my dang mind! Bought another Taurus carry gun...

Postby bensdad on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:58 pm

I've had a fleet of Milpro's (since they fixed the take-down pin). PT 111, 140, 145 and 745. Lost rd. count on all of them ages ago. They all have failures once in a great while (usually cuz I don't clean them for multiple shooting sessions), but I played USPSA long enough to know the only guns that never fail are on the internetz.

The 745 was my first and favorite. It looks like it's been to war.

Have you done your desk pop with it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948-2Vzgi3w
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby old guy on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:10 am

I've had no problems 7 taurus, one of my favorite carrys is my pt145.

John
old guy

Postby onebohemian on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:14 am

You should buy one of their new Curves and let us know how it is too. http://www.taurususa.com/whats-new-the-curve.cfm. Haven't seen one for sale in a local case yet. I won't be getting one but am curious to hold it.

Congrats on the new gun.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby tsbrewers on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:17 pm

I have been carrying one since last summer/fall and have had zero issues. mine from PSA did come with a molded plastic case instead of the box though. I have probably 1500+ rounds through it and the only failures where when my brother shot it for the first time. First time he ever shot a pistol bigger than a .22 and I think he limp wristed it.
tsbrewers

Postby linksep on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:18 am

I should change my alias to "TaurusFan"... I have a PT-100 (Beretta 96 "clone") in .40, and my dad has a Taurus PT-92 (Beretta model 92 "clone"). I like them. Since I'm a big fan of value, as well as SA/DA, hammers, and decockers, my wish-list includes Taurus 709 (or 740), a Taurus 809 (or 840), a Taurus Pt-1911 (in 9mm 'cuz I'm cheap and always want to be a little different, or .45 [with aftermarket .40 and/or 9mm barrels/mags]), and possibly a 24/7 G2 or Millennium G2.

Congrats on the new gun, may you never have to use it, but enjoy using it at your leisure.
Last edited by linksep on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby gdubya on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 pm

Oh my, just saw the PT111 G2 listed for $199 at PSA. Might have to pick up a spare at that price.
gdubya

Postby linksep on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:55 am

I really wanted to get one of these at this PSA clearance price... I even basically (kinda almost maybe) have the approval of my CFO for the expenditure. Then I put my hands on one... I like it, I really do, but my fat fingers put the hook of the pinky rest right in the middle of my pinky. :(

I could try to mod the pinky rest by sanding to remove the hook (looks like there might be just enough material there), or grind the base plate flat removing the protruding pinky rest entirely... decisions decisions... Should I buy a gun that is a really good deal and fills a hole in my collection (small-medium striker 9mm) knowing full well it doesn't fit my hand in box stock configuration and I will have to modify the magazine base plates, or wait until find (or can afford) something similarly sized that requires no modifications out of the box?

I did find a good thread from someone in my same situation: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/mille ... e-mod.html
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby gdubya on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:01 am

Never did get the firesights to work out, apparently there are not ones for the G2 yet. I read glock front sights can be filed to fit pretty easily but I went for an even less expensive option and for about $10 installed a fiber optic universal bead with the existing sight screw per a thread on the Taurus forum. Works great for me. Not a lot of reasonable rear sight choices, so I am content for the moment.
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
gdubya

Postby gdubya on Sat May 27, 2017 4:28 pm

The fiber optic in the universal bead shotgun sight cracked apart after another 300 rounds or so. Looked again and was able to pickup a set of front and rear fiber optic sights from Lakeline. Went together perfectly, took less than half an hour and required a T-8 torx bit, small flat bit, blue loctite, and a lighter to melt the FO ends. Reuses the rear sight screw. Came with orange, red, and green fiber rods long enough to do all three in the same color or any combination.
gdubya

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat May 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Here, already!! I rotated the 1st pic of the thread for you!!
Howcum it's the 68 year old troll who has to teach young n00bs about how to use their electronimical cell phones??
SHEESH!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby FJ540 on Sun May 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Here, already!! I rotated the 1st pic of the thread for you!!
Howcum it's the 68 year old troll who has to teach young n00bs about how to use their electronimical cell phones??
SHEESH!!!

Next up, you can learn the crop function. :rotf:

Depending on what software a host is using (forum, photobucket, etc), they don't always recognize landscape vs portrait correctly. It's not user error 100%.
FJ540

Postby Amazi on Sun May 28, 2017 7:39 pm

I like taurus revolvers more, but I'd buy one over a hipoint or kel tec.
Amazi

Return to Handguns