Fiber or gold front sight?

Discussion of handguns

Postby shovelheadmike on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:29 am

I need some pros and cons of fiber or gold on the front sight,Kimber gold match 45. I've used an Aimpoint for years for Bullseye,but now I'm shooting open sights and having a little trouble picking up the front[black] sight.I'm going to be using this both in and outdoors so any and all opinions welcome,thanks
Mike
shovelheadmike

Postby george on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:31 am

I can only say I have never regretted the day that I took an expensive pair of competition sites off and put on my fiber optics. Getting a little older now the only thing that I would have tried different next time is to purchase the fiber optics with that tritium inserts for dead dark or dark conditions.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby jshuberg on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:26 am

For competition, go fiber. For carry or defense, go tritium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Re: Fiber or gold front sight?

Postby shovelheadmike on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:25 am

thanks for the replies,I have nite sights on one of my carry guns and I do pick up those a lot better,but really haven't shot with those outside a lot and was wondering about the sun with fiber or gold dot outside.I do want to shoot more action,plates,etc.
thanks again,
Greenbikemike
shovelheadmike

Postby MWAG on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:21 pm

I like the Trijicon HD sights. The orange fluorescent circle on the front sight is easy to pick up (for me) in bright sunlight. My $0.02
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby goatroper on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Took the gold dot front sight off my S&W 625JM and replaced it with a green fiber optic. My eyes are getting old and it made a world of difference for the better.
"Tell me... do you like music, Mr. Finch?"
goatroper

Postby cs tunes on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:28 am

If you're shooting outdoors fiber will stand out nicely. In a dimly lit indoor range they can be a little tougher to pick up but outdoors or under good lighting they can be very bright. I have Dawson on the front of my CZ and it shines like a small star. :D
cs tunes

Postby shovelheadmike on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks again for your recommendations,I'm going to try to find a couple of 1911's with different color front sight's to try and go from there.I would like to try them both in and outdoors and see what works.....or buy a few more 1911's with different sights for all occasions!
Gbm
shovelheadmike

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm

You need to own a different gun for every sight that you use and for every purpose that they serve. That'll put you on the right track!
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby shovelheadmike on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:54 am

jshuberg wrote:You need to own a different gun for every sight that you use and for every purpose that they serve. That'll put you on the right track!

That's way I'm leaning,I have a built bullseye Springfield,carry a Kimber and just picked up a Kimber Gold Medal...all 1911's,so I'm getting there.I want to try my hand at more action shooting.
thanks again,
Mike
shovelheadmike

Postby old558 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:24 am

I like the fiber optics, I have a gold dot and think it can be harder to see.
old558

Postby Hmac on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:39 am

I have two PPQ's...one with a 10-8 gold dot and one with a a Dawson Precision fiberoptic. The way the Fleet Farm indoor range is lit, a gold dot works much better for me than fiberoptic. In bright sunlight, the fiber can't be beat. In overcast or no-sun conditions, fiber and gold dot are about the same.
Hmac

Return to Handguns