Browning Hi Power .40 S&W Do you/Did you have one?

Discussion of handguns

Browning Hi Power .40 S&W Do you/Did you have one?

Postby 3Spaniels on Wed May 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Some years ago Browning offered their Hi-Power in .40 S&W, this chambering was available for only a short time before it was discontinued. I have always liked the Hi Power in 9mm and really prefer the single stage trigger. If you have one or did have one I would like to hear about your experiences with the .40 caliber horsepower upgrade. Any problems or dislikes, etc. How did the Hi Power hold up to the quicker slide speed? Did the bigger cartridge feed OK from the double stack magazine?

If you have one you would like to sell a PM would be welcome.
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok-Matthew Quiggley
3Spaniels

Re: Browning Hi Power .40 S&W Do you/Did you have one?

Postby crbutler on Wed May 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Have one in the family.

Its an absolute PITA to clean as the recoil spring is very heavy. Pretty much I am the only one in the family who can clean it...

Oldsters and young folks/women have a bit of difficulty working the slide.

It is not quite as reliable feeding wise as a 9mm hipower (or beretta or SIG, much less a glock)

Accuracy wise it was better than most, but not quite match grade by any stretch of the imagination. About the same as the glocks in .40 I have shot. Couple that to 1/3 less mag capacity, costing about twice as much, and the ergonomics and reliability issues noted above, and it was doomed to start with.
crbutler

Postby 3Spaniels on Wed May 06, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks for your input on this and getting me straightened out on the .41 Mag thread.

This is just the kind of feedback I am looking for. The 9mm Hi Power is an excellent pistol that was not originally designed for the .40 S&W and I have been concerned with it's ability to withstand the rigors of more horsepower the .40 brings. I noticed that the slide seems to have more width to it and I suspected a larger recoil spring, but, did not know until now. Thanks much!
3Spaniels

Postby j130wood on Fri May 15, 2015 8:45 pm

I have one and I really like it now that I've gotten the trigger pull lightened up. I also have a Hi-Power in 9mm and the .40 is heavier, and just a tad larger all around. It feels good to shoot, not much different then the 9, probably due to the weight. I agree that the recoil spring is a total pain. That part I don't like. The trigger was very heavy, but smooth. I finally took it to Ahlman's for a trigger job and it it is far more pleasant to shoot. It's as accurate as anything else I own, handgun-wise. Overall, I probably like the 9mm a bit better, but I wouldn't complain if I could only have the .40.
j130wood

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon May 18, 2015 1:35 am

Well, being an olde and peculiar phart, I actually have a very rare conversion kit for a Browning Mark 1 in 41 AE. The barrel is ungodly thin, but it holds together, and the mag for 40 S&W is the SAME as 41AE. It is a wicked ride, and the hammer bite is like an old model 1911. NOT very fun to shoot because of the recoil and hammer bite, and I have an EAA 45 worked up to 45 Super that scares people away from shooting it that is more comfortable to shoot than the Browning.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby 3Spaniels on Mon May 18, 2015 5:44 am

From photographs that I have seen it appears as though quite a bit of metal was added to the slide.
3Spaniels

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue May 19, 2015 5:51 am

3Spaniels wrote:From photographs that I have seen it appears as though quite a bit of metal was added to the slide.

Doubt the metal added to the slide would help a lot, and unless they entirely reconfigured the rear of the frame with a full beavertail, the hammer bite would still be there. That's the part that really hurts. I would NOT spend my money on one. I got by easy with a 41AE barrel and a mag to go with it for about $150. You can shoot it if you want, but bring your own band-aids and/or shooting gloves.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby 3Spaniels on Tue May 19, 2015 6:18 am

Seismic Sam wrote:
3Spaniels wrote:From photographs that I have seen it appears as though quite a bit of metal was added to the slide.

You can shoot it if you want, but bring your own band-aids and/or shooting gloves.

I appreciate the offer Sam, but, I have decided to stick with the 9mm. I shot a friends Glock 27 and I thought it to be pleasant to shoot. Further thought on the subject brought me to realize that I really don't need another cartridge to reload for.

The Bring your own Band-Aid line brought many chuckles ... I needed that. Thanks!
3Spaniels

Return to Handguns