My glock jammed yesterday

Discussion of handguns

Postby LumberZach on Wed May 20, 2015 11:12 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432141690.567756.jpg

My glock 17 wearing trijicon hd night sights and a polished feed ramp had a failure to eject. I was shooting wpa steel case ammo, firing one handed. I was using a magazine that had been loaded for about 1 year and carried for about as long. I had fired the ammo in the mag without a hitch and continued shooting through the day and this finally happened.

I have marked the magazine and I will watch for any other issues. Otherwise I am not too concerned. I just felt like sharing but if you guys have any other comments, they are welcomed.
LumberZach

Re: My glock jammed yesterday

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed May 20, 2015 12:42 pm

Are you sure you weren't shooting the gun "gangsta style" (sideways...)?? Fo' shizzle!!! :P :P :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby westhope on Wed May 20, 2015 1:00 pm

My 1911 worked fine (as usual) yesterday at the FR&PC IPSC match.

Sorry, no pictures.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby LePetomane on Wed May 20, 2015 2:40 pm

My revolvers don't do that. :D :D :D
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby rtk on Wed May 20, 2015 2:55 pm

Limp wrist?
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby EAJuggalo on Thu May 21, 2015 6:53 am

Some specific guns have had problems with FTE while having a light on the front. IIRC those were generally subcompacts but you do hear occasionally of a full size that just won't work right. How many rounds through it that day before this happened?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby LumberZach on Thu May 21, 2015 7:53 am

It was very possibly a limp wrist, but i have never had any kind of malfunction before. I expect it was a combination of the steel case ammo, some level of limp wrist, and the magazine being loaded for a year. I have shot with the light on a fair amount but maybe I will keep an eye on that as well. I shot my kimber on Monday, and it probably jammed 7-8 times with these cheap mags I was using. I shot it along side my glock on Tuesday and the 1911 outperformed the glock.
LumberZach

Postby westhope on Thu May 21, 2015 8:04 am

....the 1911 outperformed the glock.

:exactly:
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby andrewP on Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 am

EAJuggalo wrote:Some specific guns have had problems with FTE while having a light on the front. IIRC those were generally subcompacts but you do hear occasionally of a full size that just won't work right. How many rounds through it that day before this happened?

My (limited) understanding of this is that it's mainly .40 S&W Glocks that have had that problem. MANY police departments have had that issue with G22s. Upon switching to 9mm (17s and/or 19s), their problems generally went away, IIRC. I'm not saying it's impossible; after all, somebody has to be the unlucky one with tolerance stacking, etc, but I'd bet more that it was the Wolf ammo than the gun or the gun + light combo.
andrewP

Postby mmcnx2 on Thu May 21, 2015 8:34 am

My 1911's, 2011's, revolvers, Mark III, CZ and Coonan all performed flawlessly last time at the range.

I even test drove a Walther that ran 100%.
mmcnx2

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu May 21, 2015 6:15 pm

In this recent spell of cold weather, Glock have been known to jam unless pre-heated in an oven set at 450 degrees - about an hour should solve the problems completely.
OldmanFCSA

Postby yuppiejr on Fri May 22, 2015 4:13 am

Aren't those made of porcelain? Maybe hit it with some toilet bowl cleaner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yuppiejr

Postby 20mm on Fri May 22, 2015 7:38 am

LumberZach wrote:My glock 17 wearing trijicon hd night sights and a polished feed ramp had a failure to eject.

Glock jammed after some amateur gunsmithing was performed. Total shock.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby LumberZach on Fri May 22, 2015 9:34 am

20mm wrote:
LumberZach wrote:My glock 17 wearing trijicon hd night sights and a polished feed ramp had a failure to eject.

I've had a little over 1000 trouble free rounds fired since the amateur gunsmithing so I don't think that had anything to do with it.
LumberZach

Postby andrewP on Fri May 22, 2015 10:26 am

LumberZach wrote:
20mm wrote:

I've had a little over 1000 trouble free rounds fired since the amateur gunsmithing so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

I'm normally on the side of amateur gunsmithing being a bad idea, but I don't see how polishing a feed ramp could affect ejection. I wouldn't lay the blame there even if you had zero rounds though it post-polishing. If you were having failures to feed, then sure, I'd say you did it to yourself, and it was (possibly, if the problem persists/repeats) time to buy a new barrel in order to fix it, but that's not what you had a problem with.

Just out of curiosity, how many rounds through that G17, and which, if any, parts have been replaced along the way?

I will say that I'm curious why you felt that the feed ramp needed polishing anyway, though. The ramp on my Walther came glassy smooth from the factory - are Glocks not similarly well finished? :)
andrewP

Next

Return to Handguns