Taurus Raging Bull in 480

Discussion of handguns

Taurus Raging Bull in 480

Postby oldhunter on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Any opinions on this gun? I have been offered one in a trade. Have seen differences in opinions on Taurus hand guns.
oldhunter

Re: Taurus Raging Bull in 480

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:20 am

I have heard second hand opinions about Taurus and variable quality, but have never owned one, so I'll STFU on that.

As far as the ammo is concerned, however, the 480 is now a duckbill platypus. IIRC, the bullets are actually .475", so at the time it was created it was competing against the 475 Linebaugh. Unfortunately, the whole .475" thing became obsolete when the Smith 500 came out, and then it was FURTHER marginalized but the Smith 460. Loaded ammo could be hard to find, it will be expensive as hell, and you get very little selection if any with .475" bullets if you handload. Just because of the ammo and bullet supply, I wouldn't buy one at any price.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Amazi on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:17 am

With that being rare ammo I'd look around for it to see if you can find it. My buddy has a raging bull in 454 looks nice feels good, shoots well there not bad guns for the most part. Are you going to hunt with it? Or just plink. If you're looking for a large bore plinker I'd just go with a 44mag. If your looking for a hunting handgun check out a s&w 460 or a 454.
Amazi

Postby cobb on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:15 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Unfortunately, the whole .475" thing became obsolete when the Smith 500 came out,...

Wrong.
Seems like the .38 special is still hanging on after the intro of the .357 magnum.
The 30-06 still seems to hold it's own which is strange because of all of the .30 magnums out there.

I will also argue that the .475 comes in a real handgun size, the x frame is a much larger frame than a normal handgun and it's weight puts it more in the specialty handgun class like a Contender, Lone Eagle and the such.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:28 pm

Well, you're wrong, not me: Check this out:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?223897-Beware-Taurus-480-Raging-Bullk

Seems the 480 Raging Bull has been officially withdrawn from the market after less than two decades in existence. Thus it has NOTHING in common with the 38/357 or the 30-06, and two of those have already had their centennial year. The 357 has its centennial in 2035. So I was wrong that it is a duckbill platypus. It's as dead and non-existent as the Dodo bird itself.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby cobb on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Well, you're wrong, not me: Check this out:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?223897-Beware-Taurus-480-Raging-Bullk

Seems the 480 Raging Bull has been officially withdrawn from the market after less than two decades in existence. Thus it has NOTHING in common with the 38/357 or the 30-06, and two of those have already had their centennial year. The 357 has its centennial in 2035. So I was wrong that it is a duckbill platypus. It's as dead and non-existent as the Dodo bird itself.

If you say so, but you are talking about a Taurus, I am talking about the .475 Linebaugh cartridge and it is far from dead. 8-)
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Return to Handguns