First handgun purchase

Discussion of handguns

First handgun purchase

Postby Not2Day on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:31 am

A bit inexperienced here. I should have my permit this week and will be buying a handgun for home protection and possibly while working since we have the option to carry. I have made a pretty solid decision to buy a brand new glock 23 gen 4 because i have read they are reliable. I just want something decent size but not too big. Stopped at Dandy mountain and held some really small guns that just plain old felt too small for medium size hands. There were some cheaper but I dont want junk and I really dont feel like learning everything there is to know about handguns at this point in my life i just want a good first gun to learn with and go from there. Btw the guy at the counter was a complete ass because I didnt appear to know exactly what I was looking for. Im sure this must be common with fist time handgun customers or am I wrong? I figured someone would try to "sell me" on something since thats their business.
Question I have is should I broaden my horizons a bit and any recommendations for a good store? Im not giving my cash to anyone who looks down upon me.
Press 1 for English. Press 2 to Learn English. Press any other number to be disconnected.
Not2Day

Re: First handgun purchase

Postby centermass40 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:48 am

Make sure you check out Southwest Arms in Savage. Ask for John Snyder 952-237-4262.
The Glock 23 is a good choice but I think the Glock 19 in 9mm would be a better choice.
I know John has most Glock models in stock.
centermass40

Postby Bitter Bastard on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Gander Mt is known to be very expensive on firearms. I'd second the suggestion for Southwest Arms and also add to look at Gun Stop in Minnetonka and even Bill's in one of their locations.

I'm not a fan of .40 Glocks, preferring 9mm or .45, but they do work just fine and are reliable and will hold up over the years. I'd strongly suggest looking at the S&W M&P line of pistols. I think they have better ergonomics and although I don't mind not having a manual safety, the M&P has the option to have one.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Not2Day on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I just stopped at Gander because I was in woodbury and had some time to kill. the 23 was $699.00 +tax. :| Im not too bent on price but Joes in Roseville just had a 10 percent sale a couple weeks ago and I believe they were at 649.00 and with 10 percent off that would have been a great deal. Ill keep on it and will post back with my purchase when Its complete. In the mean time a little more research research if time permits and ill have to possibly make a trip to savage and or bills. Thanks for not crossing me off, I would like to contribute here sometime in the future.
Last edited by Not2Day on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Press 1 for English. Press 2 to Learn English. Press any other number to be disconnected.
Not2Day

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:53 pm

I would also recommend 9mm for your first. Arnzen in Eden Prairie is another good shop. to the East of Menards.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby dleong on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Fleet Farm currently has the G23 Gen4 at $570, link here.
dleong

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:38 pm

I'd also suggest a 9 over the 40. Target ammo cost will be less and in quality defense ammo will negate much of the ballistics difference.

I'd agree you should consider the M&P, XD and a CZ in addition to the Glock. All are excellent polymer guns, yet different enough one may fit you better.

Don't be in a hurry for that first purchase, it is one that will dictate how you feel about handgun shooting for a long time. Better to make the right purchase, so try some and then buy what works for you.
mmcnx2

Postby Ivan45 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:55 pm

+1 for 9 over .40, and for checking out XD/XDm, M&P, CZ, and FNH.
Ivan45

Postby striped1 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:44 pm

I would go 9 over .40 as well. You cannot go wrong with Glock, just make sure it fits your hand. I would suggest going to Bills and renting a couple to try and then going to see Kate at Arntzen in Eden Prairie to actually purchase it.
striped1

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:13 pm

It would be helpful if you could arrange a range trip to try out a few makes and models before deciding. For some the grip angle of the Glock doesn't fit well. Shooting a few will be helpful.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Snakeman721 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:26 pm

I'm not a Glock fan, prefering the Springfield XDm line for polymer pistols. 9mm for starters is fine...ammo is cheap and recoil is manageble. I like the XDm better because (in my opinion) it has a MUCH better trigger pull and reset than the Glock (for stock factory guns) and the grip mimics the 1911. :D
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:30 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:I'm not a Glock fan, prefering the Springfield XDm line for polymer pistols. 9mm for starters is fine...ammo is cheap and recoil is manageble. I like the XDm better because (in my opinion) it has a MUCH better trigger pull and reset than the Glock (for stock factory guns) and the grip mimics the 1911. :D

OK you get a time out for mentioning a polymer gun and the oracle of autos, the 1911, in the same sentence. Shame on you, bad boy, go sit in the corner. :D
mmcnx2

Postby Ghost on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:41 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:I'm not a Glock fan, prefering the Springfield XDm line for polymer pistols. 9mm for starters is fine...ammo is cheap and recoil is manageble. I like the XDm better because (in my opinion) it has a MUCH better trigger pull and reset than the Glock (for stock factory guns) and the grip mimics the 1911. :D

I second this, Glocks just don't shoot well in my hands and 9mm is more cost effective than the other rounds. 9mm is generally easier to shoot, carries more rounds, better availability and arguably just as good of stopping power.

In full disclosure I have an XDm .40 and only have 9mm revolvers but if I were to do it again I'd go with a 9mm XDm. I prefer 1911's to all else but polymer does have its place.

One other thing is I've got some great deals buying online from Budsgunshop so price check them.
Ghost

Postby jdege on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:59 pm

I'd suggest a couple of trips to Bill's. Rent a couple of different guns and try them out.

Nobody can tell you how well any particular handgun fits your hand but you, and you can only tell for yourself by actually shooting it.
jdege

Postby farmerj on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:17 pm

jdege wrote:I'd suggest a couple of trips to Bill's. Rent a couple of different guns and try them out.

Nobody can tell you how well any particular handgun fits your hand but you, and you can only tell for yourself by actually shooting it.

Still the best advice ever given.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Next

Return to Handguns