Hogue Grips - Customer Service

Discussion of handguns

Hogue Grips - Customer Service

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:06 pm

I purchased a Hogue grip about 2 years ago for my 625 and it was exactly what I wanted in fit. Fast forward to month ago and I reordered the same item for my new 929. The new grip came in and while very nice it had a significantly different shape at the base. I contacted Hogue and they said they had changed the shape about a year ago. I explained I was disappointed given my past positive experience; I had reordered the exact same SKU expecting the same product. In the end they offered to remake me a new grip using the old one as the template if I sent them both. They said they there is variation given they are all hand finished and by send in the one I liked they could make an exact duplicate.

I was pretty impressed they were willing to remake the grip versus just telling to return the new one.
mmcnx2

Re: Hogue Grips - Customer Service

Postby Thunderjohn on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:57 am

CS is not dead. That's impressive.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby minnbrit on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 am

Unfortunately my experience has not been acceptable. In July I finally got around to installing a new grip from Hogue on my Ruger SP101 only to find that it doesn’t fit snuggly. There is enough space to partially insert a nickel between the grip and the trigger guard. I actually sent them a photo.

The response from Hogue: Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Hogue. This is a normal and very necessary gap, if the wood sits flush at this point when firing the gun it will crack.
minnbrit

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:53 pm

minnbrit wrote:Unfortunately my experience has not been acceptable. In July I finally got around to installing a new grip from Hogue on my Ruger SP101 only to find that it doesn’t fit snuggly. There is enough space to partially insert a nickel between the grip and the trigger guard. I actually sent them a photo.

The response from Hogue: Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Hogue. This is a normal and very necessary gap, if the wood sits flush at this point when firing the gun it will crack.

So ... I don't get it. You wanted a cracked grip but they don't make one or what?
Holland&Holland

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:52 am

Got my grips back from Hogue.

They are dimensional duplicates. They felt the same but could not help taking a caliper to them to check and they are so close you'd need a micrometer to tell the difference.

The wood grain coloration is slightly different as you'd expect in any two pieces of wood, so overall I'm very pleased with the end results.

Nice job Hogue.
mmcnx2

Postby ktech on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:46 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
minnbrit wrote:Unfortunately my experience has not been acceptable. In July I finally got around to installing a new grip from Hogue on my Ruger SP101 only to find that it doesn’t fit snuggly. There is enough space to partially insert a nickel between the grip and the trigger guard. I actually sent them a photo.

So ... I don't get it. You wanted a cracked grip but they don't make one or what?

Being wrong is hard.

Bravo to Hogue for customer service, it's great to hear somebody's got it right!
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Return to Handguns