Walther PPS

Discussion of handguns

Re: Walther PPS

Postby Tronster on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:04 am

Thanks for that very detailed review! I've been eyeing the single stack 9's for awhile, and they all had some shortcoming. Seems the M2 is just right, considering my hands are the same size (7.5 sterile gloves). Looks like they got rid of the front rail, which always seemed unnecessary on a compact carry piece. The few times I've handles the PPS the grip felt very squared and blocky, seems that's been changed too. Did they eliminate the magazine disconnect?
Tronster

Postby Hmac on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:52 am

Neither the PPS Classic nor the PPS M2 have a magazine disconnect.
Hmac

Postby 2in2out on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:01 am

Kelor wrote:Any idea if this sale is still going on?

Check the Marketplace forum. As of today, there's still at least one NIB for sale there. Thunderjohn is a good guy.

Excellent review, Hmac. Thanks for posting that.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Hmac on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:23 am

Tronster wrote: Did they eliminate the magazine disconnect?

Sorry, it occurs to me that you might have been asking about the backstrap disconnect on the PPS Classic. That pointless little feature has been eliminated. I've never had a problem with it...I just leave it connected all the time and pull the trigger to field-strip rather than removing the backstrap to de-cock. I haven't seen it to be a problem, but the theoretical ranting on the subject has been about "what if you drop it and the backstrap breaks? Now the gun is inoperable". I doubt that's a problem, but the whole backstrap disconnect concept was pointless enough that Walther apparently decided to ditch it in designing this new version.

Short answer...no backstrap disconnect on the PPS M2. This PPS M2 literally addressed every single complaint I might have had about the PPS Classic. There are a lot of the Walther faithful that are completely wedded to the paddle mag release on the trigger guard and are now vowing to never buy Walther again, or some such nonsense. I am completely indifferent, although the way Walther implemented the button release on this PPS M2 works exceptionally well for me given the shape and size of the grip.
Hmac

Postby RAGGED on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:34 am

I have had the PPS since it first came out, mine is one of the First Editions. It has been my go to carry gun for the past 8+ years. My only gripe is that the First Editions had a Hydro graphic "anthracite" finish on the frame and after any amount of carrying it looks pretty crappy, wouldn't be an issue with any of the normal ones. I have all three mag sizes and prefer the mid size. It gobbles up just about everything I've thrown at it.
RAGGED

Postby Hmac on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:49 am

I have about 400 rounds of 115 ball and 40 rounds of Critical Defense through my new PPS M2 without a hiccup. Every bit as reliable and accurate as my PPS Classic has been. I have nothing against the paddle mag release - I have it on my PPS, my PPQs, and my VP9, but I have to say that on a gun as small as the PPS, the button mag release they put on the PPS M2 is a significant improvement IMHO. Works better for me on a gun that size. I don't know about the finishes...neither my wife's AK version nor my BD version PPS show any appreciable wear on the slide finish despite years of CC, belt or purse (my belt, her purse). The First Edition Anthracite finish turned out to be kind of a disappointment. The finish was just some kind of paint applied over the black polymer frame, and IIRC complaints about premature wear surfaced within weeks of the release of the pistol.

Hmac

Previous

Return to Handguns