Walther PPS

Discussion of handguns

Walther PPS

Postby JackCoke on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Anyone have any experience with this gun? Good, bad? Cabela's has them on sale (starting tomorrow) for $200 off, in either 9mm or 40 S&W, for $389.00. I am looking hard at buying one...most reviews seem favorable.
JackCoke

Re: Walther PPS

Postby Hmac on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:23 pm

JackCoke wrote:Anyone have any experience with this gun? Good, bad? Cabela's has them on sale (starting tomorrow) for $200 off, in either 9mm or 40 S&W, for $389.00. I am looking hard at buying one...most reviews seem favorable.

It is a superb handgun especially in the concealed carry role because of it's thin profile. Reliable, accurate, and handles more like a full-size pistol than a sub-compact. My wife has had one for several years. I got tired of carrying a compact and she got pissed when I started asking her if I could use her PPS. She made me buy my own a couple of years ago. I have about 3000 rounds through it and it has never failed me.
Hmac

Postby JackCoke on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Thank you for the input! I am going to pick up the 9 tomorrow.
JackCoke

Postby INOR on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:16 am

That was an outstanding deal on the PPS. I think it was actually on sale for $369.99 at Cabela's. Funny, because I was just looking at them at GM the Sunday prior and they had them at $699! Yikes. :shock: I've had very mixed experiences at GM. I don't hate them like many people do. I've gotten some really good deals there on things, but sometimes they are indeed out of their minds on pricing. That's the worst example I've seen.
INOR

Postby speedy396 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:45 am

I picked up a PPS at Cabela's. Very good price and shoots really nice. Shot a couple boxes through it without a hitch. Pretty accurate for its size. The trigger guard mag release takes a bit getting used to. I agree with Hmac saying it feels more like shooting a larger compact/fullsize than a sub.
speedy396

Postby Hmac on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:22 am

I note that a new version of the PPS, the PPS M2, is slated to be announced at SHOT. It loses the backstrap, the accessory rail, and has a button mag release.

Hmac

Postby JackCoke on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:38 am

INOR wrote:That was an outstanding deal on the PPS. I think it was actually on sale for $369.99 at Cabela's. Funny, because I was just looking at them at GM the Sunday prior and they had them at $699! Yikes. :shock: I've had very mixed experiences at GM. I don't hate them like many people do. I've gotten some really good deals there on things, but sometimes they are indeed out of their minds on pricing. That's the worst example I've seen.

You're right, it was priced at $369.99, and I also had a coupon for $20 off of a $100 purchase...so $349.99 plus taxes out the door. It shoots great and carries easily. Like others have mentioned, the paddle mag release takes a little getting used to, but not much--I kind of like it, actually. Now I am looking for a good IWB holster for it.
JackCoke

Postby karlobag on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:44 am

ThuderJohn has three for sale at $375.00 each/cash.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=55534
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby ZeeC on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Just got one as well, the trigger is almost as nice as my PPQ
ZeeC

Postby Hmac on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:50 pm

New version is on Walther's website as of a few hours ago. Dimensions appear to be identical.

http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/pps/pps-m2/
Hmac

Postby ZeeC on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:22 am

Which is why the PPS M1 price has dropped so much.

I like how the grip looks however I believe they dropped the change-able back strap.

Also went to the button mag release, I prefer the trigger guard lever release.
ZeeC

Postby Hmac on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:46 am

ZeeC wrote:Which is why the PPS M1 price has dropped so much.

Kentucky Gun Co is listing the new M2 version at $402 for cash, $415 for credit card purchase.

http://www.kygunco.com/walther-pps-m2-9 ... rip-112901
Hmac

Postby Hmac on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:55 am

I've been following the early testing on the PPS M2. It's getting great reviews for its ergonomics and its significantly upgraded trigger, people reporting a nice, crisp, 6 lb break. A buddy and I each ordered one shortly after it was announced and they should be arriving next week. The gun is seeing a big demand these days, but Dave Timm in Baxter is providing his usual exceptional customer service.

One result of this new PPS M2 is that the PPS Classic is generally going for significantly discounted prices compared to the $600 I paid for that pistol 3 years ago. There's nothing wrong with the PPS Classic and anyone looking for a great bargain on that excellent single stack 9mm ought to give it a hard look.
Hmac

Postby Kelor on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Any idea if this sale is still going on?
Kelor

Postby Hmac on Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Kelor wrote:Any idea if this sale is still going on?

I don't think it's a sale. I think it's just what they've decided to sell the guns for. The price will likely fluctuate depending on availability and popularity.

I just picked up a new PPS M2 this morning from Dave Timm in Baxter. He ordered a couple, one for me and one for a friend late last week and they were both delivered yesterday. My buddy is a huge Glock fan, in fact this PPS M2 is his first non-Glock handgun in a decade. He had used a Glock 26, didn't like it because of bulk and grip, has been carrying a Glock 42, but didn't really like it enough to consider a Glock 43 now that they're available. He did like my PPS Classic, the way it shot, the way it felt. He opted to get the PPS M2 sight unseen based on my assurance that it was likely to be an improvement over the PPS Classic. He absolutely did not care for the paddle mag release on the PPS Classic - dealbreaker for him. Dave provided his usual meticulous customer service. I've known him for years. He is utterly reliable.

I've had a PPS Classic (BD) for a couple of years and it has about 1500 rounds through it I've shot it or my wife's PPS AK in defensive carry pistol courses. My wife has a PPS Classic (AK) - she made me get my own because she got tired of loaning me hers. I was OK with the trigger on the PPS Classic -- it was a little creepy, even after 1500 rounds, but I shot it well and it has been utterly reliable, shooting both ball and Hornady Critical Defense. I am a big fan of the PPS Classic. It's a great firearm for concealed carry for someone with my body (BMI 25, 32 inch waist) and my wife who is tall and slim (although if she carries, she generally carries in her purse).

So, I picked up the PPS M2 from Dave at his shop this morning and later went to the range - just got back. My observations:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the PPS M2 fits my DeSantis Speed Scabbard perfectly. It does not fit my BladeTech OWB, nor does it fit my RCS kydex. The reason is that there is a slight inward bevel to the end of the slide on the PPS Classic whereas the forward-grooved end of the PPS M2 is squared. So, I heated the RCS holster a little toward the end with a heat gun, jammed the PPS M2 in there and put it in my kydex press while it cooled. Perfect! The M2 snaps into the modified RCS holster perfectly. Likewise, the magazines fit all my existing mag pouches.

Carrying....it is absolutely every bit as comfortable and concealable as the PPS Classic, even with the 7 round magazine in it.

Shooting one vs the other at the range...the M2 is noticeably more natural to grip and the grip texture is likewise noticeable. I have smallish hands -- I wear medium PIGs and a 7 1/2 surgical glove. The undercut trigger and the contouring are the big factors in the improved grip and handling. I am a huge fan of the way they implemented the button mag release. Very natural, easy to find and activate, zero tendency (for me) to release accidentally. I like it much better than the paddle release, despite the fact that I also own two PPQs and a VP9 and shoot them in Action Pistol.

Absolutely no cycling issues in the PPS M2 using some kind of 114gr ball, and about 3 magazines of Hornady critical defense.

Felt recoil -- I'm not recoil sensitive. I shoot the PPS Classic fast and accurately. Having said that, I can notice a difference in getting the PPS M2 back on target in rapid fire. That's subjective...I didn't put the timer on it to compare but I'm confident that it's better.

Trigger - I'm used to the smooth-but-a-little creeepy trigger of my PPS Classic and shoot it well. The trigger of the PPS M2 is an improvement in break, but I do note that the take-up is longer. It is not, in any way, shape, or form, comparable to the PPQ trigger. It's a little better than the PPS Classic, and much better than any S&W or Glock compact or sub-compact that I've ever shot. This is comparing My M2 with a couple of hundred rounds to my Classic with about 1500 rounds.

All-in-all, the PPS M2, especially in the low-to-mid $400s, is a huge winner for Walther in the US CCW market. It is so vastly superior to the Glock 43 or Shield that it's hard for me to imagine anyone choosing one of those other two guns.

Hmac

Next

Return to Handguns