Magazine for a 45 Win Mag pistol?

Discussion of handguns

Magazine for a 45 Win Mag pistol?

Postby Lil' Dog on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:13 pm

A co-worker has a 45 Win Mag pistol. He looking for extra magazines for it. It takes two different types of magazines, one is for the 45 Win Mag, and one is for your standard 45. Web searches don't seem to return much. I thought I would try asking my fellow members. Off the top of head he could not remember the manufacturer, and I won't see him until next week. Only a few people made them. If you are familiar with the round, you probably have an idea of who it was that sold them. Thank you.
Lil' Dog

Re: Magazine for a 45 Win Mag pistol?

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:11 am

Well, since you did try web searches, I certainly can't berate you for giving it the good old college try. One company that made guns for the 45 Win Mag was Automag, whose Mark I pistol was the original gun to chamber the 44 Automag pistol. That was too expensive to produce, and Automag started moving around like a floating crap game from one owner to another, and IIRC, I think one of their Mark IV Series was chambered for the 45 Win Mag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoMag_(pistol)

A second pistol design was the Wildey, which was sort of an afterbirth of Automag, and I believe that was chambered for the 45 Win Mag too.

http://www.wildeyguns.com/wildey.html

However, neither of these pistols ever shot the 45 ACP, and the only gun that could have done that was the LAR Grizzly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAR_Grizzly_Win_Mag It was a scaled up 1911, so some 1911 parts were compatible and some weren't. If they had separate mags for 45 ACP, that's news to me, and it would have taken a lot of farting around to change out the recoil springs and scale this down to plain old 45 ACP. It must have also required a different barrel to shoot 45 ACP, or some sort of chamber adapter to account for the difference in headspace. This beast was also chambered for the mighty 50 Action Express, which at the time was around in the big 50 Desert Eagle. Now, while the Desert Eagle is a big MoFo of a gun and can shoot 50AE forever, it was a dismal failure in a 1911 platform and all the 50 LAR's are long since broken or blown up. The 45 Win Mag was less powerful, and therefore these guns survived. The company that made them, however, is LOOOOONG gone, so your buddy is out of luck. Best he can hope for is that somebody has broken LAR in 45 Win Mag and has a magazine to sell.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby ROADGUY on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Another rare breed was The Wildey Magnum it was available in a .45 win mag . The down fall magazines for them are very pricey & rare if you could find them on occasion they pop up on gun broker. The manufacturer would be very helpful.
ROADGUY

Postby crbutler on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm

I think he has a LAR Grizzly.

I have one, but didn't get the .357, the 357-45, or the .45 ACP conversions. Have .50 AE, .45 WM and .44 M. I heard they also offered 10mm M. but never saw one of those. When I ordered the .45 WM and the .44 it was to see how it compared with the IMI Desert eagle, so got them all at once. Tried to order the others and never heard back about them.

Each conversion and the original gun came with a magazine of the appropriate type, so multiple mags are very rare. The conversion kits have a mag, slide stop, recoil spring and a barrel in them.

Its a neat toy, I like it better than my .50 AE desert eagle, but the DE is more durable. As to how it holds up, I think I have fired 2 boxes of 45 WM through it (40 rounds) so its not really broken in yet...
crbutler

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:32 am

crbutler wrote:I think he has a LAR Grizzly.

I have one, but didn't get the .357, the 357-45, or the .45 ACP conversions. Have .50 AE, .45 WM and .44 M. I heard they also offered 10mm M. but never saw one of those. When I ordered the .45 WM and the .44 it was to see how it compared with the IMI Desert eagle, so got them all at once. Tried to order the others and never heard back about them.

Each conversion and the original gun came with a magazine of the appropriate type, so multiple mags are very rare. The conversion kits have a mag, slide stop, recoil spring and a barrel in them.

Its a neat toy, I like it better than my .50 AE desert eagle, but the DE is more durable. As to how it holds up, I think I have fired 2 boxes of 45 WM through it (40 rounds) so its not really broken in yet...

As I previously noted, no amount of beefing up seems to be enough to allow the 1911 design to accommodate 50AE ammo, so as long as you stick to 45 Win Mag the gun will be broken in but not just plain broken... If you were going to shoot 50 AE, you would probably have to develop some reduced loads using something besides H110/296 for obvious reasons.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Return to Handguns