Purchasing a new defensive carry handgun

Discussion of handguns

Re: Purchasing a new defensive carry handgun

Postby Doc Harvey on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:27 pm

xd ED wrote:
ttousi wrote:have you priced thru thunderjohn (southwest arms) He is a forum member

^^^^THIS^^^

I've purchased several guns from Thunderjohn;

nice guy,
excellent service,
good prices

+1! Great local gun shop!
Doc Harvey

Postby hard h2o on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:45 pm

Amazi wrote:
hard h2o wrote:
Amazi wrote:I was stating he shot a 1911 a lot. If he's used to it why would you go with a different gun.... Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I can handle pretty much any firearm. Just because I have experience with the 1911 does not make that my best option. In rifles I own Weatherby, Savage, Stevens, Mossberg, Marlin, Ruger. Variety is the spice of life.

I will someday own a 1911 again. For the price, size, capacity, personal feel... I think the Smith is a great option for me. I have researched, shot, and handled quite a few. Not all of them. Some were ruled out due to size, price...

I did not consider Glocks. Personally I do not like products that have a certain fandom. I like PCs. I do not like Apple computers. The fandom and idolization kind of puts me off. I do own an iPhone only because the thing works great.

If that's how you feel why would you ask for options???? If you don't like things that have fandom followings no gun will be to your liking or really anything.

The only gun I can think of that people don't argue over saying is the best or worse is the desert eagle 50ae.

I really did not ask for options. I stated that I was set on the S&W 45c. Then I later said I was almost swayed by the XD Mod 2. I stated I wanted a 45. Not a 9, 40, 10, 380, 357.

I like the 1911 but not at this time.

Got the call that my permit is approved. Hopefully Monday I can pick up the permit and stop by Cabela's. Thanks for all the great feedback.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:50 pm

So you already know what you want. You just want everyone here to justify your choice? Well your choice sucks. Have a nice day and don't post if you don't want opinions.
Holland&Holland

Postby Hmac on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:So you already know what you want. You just want everyone here to justify your choice? Well your choice sucks. Have a nice day and don't post if you don't want opinions.

He did ask for opinions...about the S&W 45c. He didn't ask for options. He was consistently pretty clear on that while everyone here lobbed in their favorite carry handgun rather than giving him their opinion on his favorite carry handgun which is what he posted here to find out.
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:48 pm

Hmac wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:So you already know what you want. You just want everyone here to justify your choice? Well your choice sucks. Have a nice day and don't post if you don't want opinions.

He did ask for opinions...about the S&W 45c. He didn't ask for options. He was consistently pretty clear on that while everyone here lobbed in their favorite carry handgun rather than giving him their opinion on his favorite carry handgun which is what he posted here to find out.

He asked for pros and cons, my con was it isn't a 9mm.
Ghost

Postby hard h2o on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:06 am

Thank you for your opinion. Why does my choice suck?
hard h2o

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:08 am

Because you don't agree with his choice, so it follows Internet logic that your opinion sucks. :? :lol:
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby westhope on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:00 am

Got the call that my permit is approved. Hopefully Monday I can pick up the permit and stop by Cabela's.

Permits are to be mailed out (unless other arrangements are made by you when you filed the application). Did you specifically ASK to pick up the permit or did the sheriff's department TELL you to pick it up?

The S&W M&P 45c is a good choice. The only reason I would have against it is that width of is a little wider than some other carry guns. For me, the width of a handgun is one of the major things I feel when carrying the gun. More so than the height or length of the gun.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:11 pm

westhope wrote:
Got the call that my permit is approved. Hopefully Monday I can pick up the permit and stop by Cabela's.

Permits are to be mailed out (unless other arrangements are made by you when you filed the application). Did you specifically ASK to pick up the permit or did the sheriff's department TELL you to pick it up?

I believe he applied for a PTP not a PTC so it's probably local PD not sheriff. Maple Grove I know calls you and has you pick them up. On the flip side Brooklyn Park mails them. Seems they can do whatever they want.
grimbeaver

Postby hard h2o on Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Yep Oakdale PD. They had it ready in a very timely manner.

Got a chance to put 30 rounds downrange at OGC an hour ago. Man is that a sweet shooter. Grip is just right for me. Very controllable. No need for sight adjustment. Shoots where I aim right out of the box.

Funny how much ammo I have already for her. Looking at the Federal Personal Defense 230 grain Premium with the Hydra-Shok JHP. I have 30 rounds left. I have 30 rounds left of American Eagle 230 grain FMJ Syntech. I also have 50 rounds of Winchester 230 grain FMJ.

Looking at the concealed carry class at OGC on July 11th.

Need to sort out a tuckable IWB holster. Looks like there are a couple of cheap options that can get me by until I figure out what the better options are. I wear a suit for work and drive around the cities meeting clients in their homes. I need something that will not be seen if the coat tails ride up.
hard h2o

Postby hard h2o on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:27 pm

I love this thing. Need to get the trigger pull sorted out but otherwise it is fabulous.

hard h2o

Postby 2in2out on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:58 pm

Nice! Congrats!
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby goett047 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:34 pm

hard h2o wrote:
Amazi wrote:I was stating he shot a 1911 a lot. If he's used to it why would you go with a different gun.... Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I can handle pretty much any firearm. Just because I have experience with the 1911 does not make that my best option. In rifles I own Weatherby, Savage, Stevens, Mossberg, Marlin, Ruger. Variety is the spice of life.

I will someday own a 1911 again. For the price, size, capacity, personal feel... I think the Smith is a great option for me. I have researched, shot, and handled quite a few. Not all of them. Some were ruled out due to size, price...

I did not consider Glocks. Personally I do not like products that have a certain fandom. I like PCs. I do not like Apple computers. The fandom and idolization kind of puts me off. I do own an iPhone only because the thing works great.

1. 1911's have decades more fandom than Glocks
2. It is insanity to rule out an option based on "Fandom" alone
3. By your own testament Apple makes a product (the iPhone is perhaps the product with the most 'fandom' ever) that works well enough to overcome your desire to avoid popular products. Maybe, Glock does too??? It's hypocrisy to hate on products based on fan base when you own an iPhone because "the thing works great"
goett047

Postby hard h2o on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:25 am

goett047 wrote:
1. 1911's have decades more fandom than Glocks
2. It is insanity to rule out an option based on "Fandom" alone
3. By your own testament Apple makes a product (the iPhone is perhaps the product with the most 'fandom' ever) that works well enough to overcome your desire to avoid popular products. Maybe, Glock does too??? It's hypocrisy to hate on products based on fan base when you own an iPhone because "the thing works great"

I will admit a bit of contradiction in my statements. I am happy with my choice.

Glocks are $100 to $200 over what I wanted to spend so it was not entirely fandom that colored my decision.

I have thrown out all my t-shirts and hats and replaced with S&W and M&P logo gear. Is that a symptom of fandom?
hard h2o

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:39 am

I'm going to post a suggestion based on your appreciation of the timeless 1911 round, which is an appreciation I certainly share:

What?? A hicap 1911??

Well, the gun you have picked is a LOWER capacity 1911, so it's pretty just a matter of round count and size. The trick here is that the SAR K2 is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the PARA P14.45 shown next to it, so it's the smallest external size hicap 45 out there. In addition, if CDNN is still selling these for $360 or so, it's the best deal out there. The gun is all steel, and as far as I'm concerned the trigger is one step down from match grade. To me that means the break on the trigger isn't dead perfect, but it's damn close. Once you get used to shooting this gun, you can print a damn good (15 shot!!) group. I suggest this just so you can keep it in the back of your mind, but if you can grip a gun this size, this choice is essentially the most 45 bang for the buck in the smallest package available. Keep the idea in the back of your head, as people who love the 1911 round generally only want one thing more, and to be able to carry more of the same ammo! If you want to shoot one, I'm a member at Oakdale.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Previous

Return to Handguns