Purchasing a new defensive carry handgun

Discussion of handguns

Postby hard h2o on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:16 am

Turned in my PTP with the Oakdale PD on Monday.

Going to get my carry permit.

I have my selection narrowed down to the S&W M&P 45 Compact. I like how it handles and shoots.

I have shot 45 quite extensively out of full sized 1911s.

It seems that the bit heavier weight of the S&W M&P 45 Compact versus the 45 Shield will mitigate a bit of recoil.

Anyone have pros or cons on this choice?

Next will be getting the permit to carry and deciding on a carry holster.
hard h2o

Re: Purchasing a new defensive carry handgun

Postby Thunderjohn on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:06 pm

The M&P's shoot nice and the 45c is very manageable and affordable.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby Ghost on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:16 pm

My only comment is have you considered a 9mm? There are benefits to the 9 such as capacity, controllability and ammo cost. I ask this as somebody whom doesn't have a semi auto 9mm, only 40's and 45's for me. But, my next carry gun will be a 9.
Ghost

Postby LePetomane on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:10 pm

There are a lot of good choices. In an attempt to confuse you more I would add the FNS compact and the H&K P30 compact. I purchased the H&K a while back from Southwest Arms and am very satisfied. My son has the FN. The advantage of the FN is that it is striker fired. H&K needs to bring out the VP-9 in a compact.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Hmac on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:23 pm

I prefer 9mm without question. For concealability and comfort of carry I prefer single-stack 9mm. After a couple of years struggling with an M&P, I have no desire to hike down that rutted road again and went with a Walther PPS, now PPS M2. What a truly excellent 9mm gun for concealed carry.
Hmac

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:01 pm

As a 1911 fan, you owe it to the rest of the community to try a lightweight frame CCO :)

I think it is just as easy, if not easier, to carry than a polymer double stack.

YMMV

Edit: just wanted to add that if you decide to switch to 9mm, then a polymer gun makes more sense (to me).
gun_fan111v2

Postby LePetomane on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:46 pm

hard h2o wrote:I have my selection narrowed down to the S&W M&P 45 Compact. I like how it handles and shoots.

Then you need to get the gun. You have researched it well.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby hard h2o on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am a 1911 fan. Shot one for several years on an Army pistol team. Someday I will invest in a full sized 1911 again.

Looking for a .45 so the FNS is out.

I am not considering a 9. I like the idea of a large slow moving bullet. I understand that the bullets in the 9s have gotten better and the shooting at gelatin blocks and such shows they are a viable alternative. My question is if the bullets in the 9s have improved then haven't the bullets in the .45 improved as well? If the .45 was superior to the 9 with older tech projectiles is it not still superior with newer tech ammo? I can handle the

That HK compact .45 is a bit pricey.

Stopped by Joe's and Cabela's this evening.

Double checking the M&P 45c versus the XD® Mod.2™ .45ACP Sub-Compact. Almost swayed back to the XD.

Not enough room on the XD for my pinky finger.

M&P is 8 + 1 standard.

XD is 9 + 1 and also comes with a 13 round mag. With 9 rounder in no room for pinky. 13 rounder is quite a bit longer and seemed ungainly.

Cabela's has the M&P for $499 right now. I am going to stop tomorrow and put 25% down to save the sale price until my PTP comes in.
hard h2o

Postby xd ED on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:35 pm

hard h2o wrote:Thanks for all the feedback.

I am a 1911 fan. Shot one for several years on an Army pistol team. Someday I will invest in a full sized 1911 again.

Looking for a .45 so the FNS is out.

I am not considering a 9. I like the idea of a large slow moving bullet. I understand that the bullets in the 9s have gotten better and the shooting at gelatin blocks and such shows they are a viable alternative. My question is if the bullets in the 9s have improved then haven't the bullets in the .45 improved as well? If the .45 was superior to the 9 with older tech projectiles is it not still superior with newer tech ammo? I can handle the

That HK compact .45 is a bit pricey.

Stopped by Joe's and Cabela's this evening.

Double checking the M&P 45c versus the XD® Mod.2™ .45ACP Sub-Compact. Almost swayed back to the XD.

M&P is 8 + 1 standard.

XD is 9 + 1 and also comes with a 13 round mag. With 9 rounder in no room for pinky. 13 rounder is quite a bit longer and seemed ungainly.

Cabela's has the M&P for $499 right now. I am going to stop tomorrow and put 25% down to save the sale price until my PTP comes in.

The Pearce Grip extensions do wonders for XD mags...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:30 am

hard h2o wrote:Stopped by Joe's and Cabela's this evening.

The XD Mod.2 is a fantastic platform with a very comfortable grip. I picked up a 9mm 5" tactical model a few months ago and love it. As xd ED said the Pierce Grip Extensions do wonders on XD mags and only cost $10 each. I used to use them on my XDS but in the winter I used a pocket holster in my cargo pants that they didn't fit in so I got used to shooting without.

Only other thing about the M&P is they have models both with and without a manual safety. Make sure you know which one you are getting.
grimbeaver

Postby hard h2o on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:35 am

Thanks. You guys are great.

Even with the low amount of posts on this forum day to day it is still one of the best. When there are posts you can be assured that it is good timely info and the replies will be mostly on topic.
hard h2o

Postby ttousi on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:59 am

have you priced thru thunderjohn (southwest arms) He is a forum member
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:05 am

ttousi wrote:have you priced thru thunderjohn (southwest arms) He is a forum member

At least give him a link :D
http://www.southwest-arms.com/home.html

It's a nice little shop and his prices are good. Though $499 for the M&P I think is pretty good. I would say 80% of the time though Cabela's and Gander's sale prices are still above independent local shops. I don't go to Joe's much but every time I've been there I have not been too impressed with their prices.
grimbeaver

Postby xd ED on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:16 am

ttousi wrote:have you priced thru thunderjohn (southwest arms) He is a forum member

^^^^THIS^^^

I've purchased several guns from Thunderjohn;

nice guy,
excellent service,
good prices
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:18 am

grimbeaver wrote:

At least give him a link :D
http://www.southwest-arms.com/home.html

It's a nice little shop and his prices are good. Though $499 for the M&P I think is pretty good. I would say 80% of the time though Cabela's and Gander's sale prices are still above independent local shops. I don't go to Joe's much but every time I've been there I have not been too impressed with their prices.

the only time to buy at Joe's is when they're having a sale; and I don't think guns go on sale
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to Handguns