Glock 42... it's too late for me, save yourself

Discussion of handguns

Glock 42... it's too late for me, save yourself

Postby 2in2out on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:58 pm

A Glock 42 followed me home the other night. I've resisted Glock for so long that I thought this day would never happen. If it happened to me, it could happen to anyone.

Seriously, though... anyone have a 42? Anything I need to know, other than keeping it halfway clean and learning to speak German in a Bavarian dialect?
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Re: Glock 42... it's too late for me, save yourself

Postby usnret on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:20 pm

They prefer hot ammo. Watch your thumb so it doesn't engage the slide stop when you are firing it. You might want to leave it with the slide locked back for about two weeks, just to break in the recoil spring assembly. I can be rather stiff.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:31 am

The most important thing to know about ANY Glock is that it's dishwasher safe!! Plus if you gonna carry it in the city, you gotta get all ethnic and shoot it sideways! :P :P :P :P :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Why do you have to keep it clean? Shoot hard and put away dirty. She likes it dirty... :D
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby SkyRock on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:10 am

usnret wrote:... You might want to leave it with the slide locked back for about two weeks, just to break in the recoil spring assembly. I can be rather stiff.

Interesting. I've never heard (or had to do) that. If you can provide a source for that info, could you let me know, please? PM if you prefer.
SkyRock

Postby SkyRock on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:13 am

Get a holster, spare mags and mag carriers, and shoot it as much as you can. If you can, shoot it in a match where they let you enter that caliber (not any USPSA match, but Burnsville Pistol Range Winter League permits it). [Disclaimer: I'm the match director, but get no money for doing it.]
SkyRock

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:54 am

Seismic Sam wrote:The most important thing to know about ANY Glock is that it's dishwasher safe!! Plus if you gonna carry it in the city, you gotta get all ethnic and shoot it sideways! :P :P :P :P :P

It is dishwasher safe and can be dried in an oven.

http://scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14819
OldmanFCSA

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:30 am

Was always against glock for the longest. When I went looking for a carry, didn't want another SA. After handling a glock 27, found it to be a dam good pistol. Got a smokin deal too
Bearcatrp

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:22 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:The most important thing to know about ANY Glock is that it's dishwasher safe!! Plus if you gonna carry it in the city, you gotta get all ethnic and shoot it sideways! :P :P :P :P :P

It is dishwasher safe and can be dried in an oven.

http://scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14819

Yep , but unlike those nasty Beretta 92 & 96, they shoot where you aim them :stirthepot:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:57 pm

SkyRock wrote:
usnret wrote:... You might want to leave it with the slide locked back for about two weeks, just to break in the recoil spring assembly. I can be rather stiff.

Interesting. I've never heard (or had to do) that. If you can provide a source for that info, could you let me know, please? PM if you prefer.

As a Glock LE Armour I have never heard that either - but I do suggest you find 200 - 300 rnds of cheap ammo and thoroughly break it in!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Motoman on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:30 pm

I had the 42 for a while, but picked up a 43 when they came out. The 42 was a good little shooter, much more accurate then the Kel-Tec P3AT I had before that.

It ate everything I fed it, and never had a single failure.
Mike

Osseo, MN 07/02 FFL & SOT
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Pistol/Shotgun
MN/FL/WI/AZ Permit to Carry Instructor
Motoman

Postby usnret on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:14 pm

SkyRock wrote:

That came out of personal experience. They (Glock) put in a rather heavy recoil spring assembly, which helps it be a sweet shooter. But can make a new one rather a bitch to cycle the action by hand. By locking the slide back for say 2 weeks, it helps break the recoil spring assembly in.
By the way, I am also an Armorer.
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:01 am

In theory, locking the slide back for 2 weeks should do abiabsoluty nothing. Cycling it repeatedly for 2 weeks might.
Holland&Holland

Postby usnret on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:21 am

Holland&Holland wrote:In theory, locking the slide back for 2 weeks should do abiabsoluty nothing. Cycling it repeatedly for 2 weeks might.

Ya, but it does.
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby SkyRock on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:14 am

usnret wrote:
SkyRock wrote:

That came out of personal experience. They (Glock) put in a rather heavy recoil spring assembly, which helps it be a sweet shooter. But can make a new one rather a bitch to cycle the action by hand. By locking the slide back for say 2 weeks, it helps break the recoil spring assembly in.
By the way, I am also an Armorer.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep that in mind.
SkyRock

Next

Return to Handguns