DoubleTap defense 9mm

Discussion of handguns

DoubleTap defense 9mm

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:53 pm

Had a few hundred today to purchase a new handgun. Local pawn shop had a new one in the case for $250. Figured I'd pick one up and see what they are all about. Hopefully will get to shoot it this coming weekend. It's just a hair bigger than my Ruger LCP. And weighs more. Pocket carries just as easy. They don't recommend +P ammo. I couldn't imagine shooting that stuff out of such a compact gun. I owned a bond arms 357 cowboy model. That was burial enough.

Anyone else here own one of these? How do you like it?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

DoubleTap defense 9mm

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:51 am

"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

DoubleTap defense 9mm

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:18 pm

Shot it for the first time today. The internet reviews were right about the kick. It hurts. All metal gun and no recoil reduction. Makes for some sore hands. I only fired off 6 rounds and I'm having a hard time typing this on my phone. Also it leaves interesting primer strikes...

Didn't have any failure to fire. And it was just 115gr fmj loads I was shooting.

PHATSPEED7x

DoubleTap defense 9mm

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:44 pm

So no chance for it to become your favorite range gun? :)

Are these reloads? I believe those are the signs of over pressure with primer cup flowing around the firing pin like that
gun_fan111v2

Re: DoubleTap defense 9mm

Postby Rodentman on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:40 pm

They sell, or used to sell, a "training grip< which is a "rubber" sleeve that fits over the grip. I don't know if they are still available. I fired mine a couple of times, and that was enough.
Rodentman

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:32 am

PHATSPEED7x wrote:Shot it for the first time today. The internet reviews were right about the kick. It hurts. All metal gun and no recoil reduction. Makes for some sore hands. I only fired off 6 rounds and I'm having a hard time typing this on my phone. Also it leaves interesting primer strikes...

Didn't have any failure to fire. And it was just 115gr fmj loads I was shooting.

After proving that I am the mighty Curmudgeon of The Day Care Center and no one is worthy to hold my jock strap, I'm going to have to dispense with the nastiness because we have a shooter in SEVERE DANGER!!

STOP!!!! DO NOT FIRE THAT GUN AGAIN!!!

To begin with, the primers look like nothing I have ever seen before. They are bulged back further than I have ever seen in an unexploded gun, and I do not think this is high pressure per se. If it were, the edge of the primer would be forced dead up against the outside of the primer cup without even a LINE between the two. That's not the case here. It looks like a headspace problem, and if you look at the right case you can see 3 bands around the case which are indicative of case stretching, which is also proof of a headspace problem. If you look at the left shoulder of the right case, it appears you can also see a bulge there. That is also a sign of a headspace problem. Considering how primitive the construction of this gun is, either the chambers were cut too long or the latching mechanism of the frame to the barrel is weak, and the gun is TRYING TO CAM OPEN UNDER PRESSURE and having some success doing just that. The fact that one primer has a longer "TIT" than the other primer means the case with the longer tit was in the lower chamber and the case with the shorter tit was in the upper chamber.

Moving away from the gun problems themselves, WHAT are you trying to do to yourself with this gun?? You said it hurts to shoot, and I fully believe that statement, and if I shot it I'm sure it would it would hurt like hell for me too, provided I could even get my huge troll finger into the trigger guard. So every time you shoot this POS, you get a pain impulse stuffed into your subconscious where it won't come back out. And make no mistake, this is MUCH different than the pain from a Smith 500, where it may hurt, but it's a tremendous adrenaline rush and you giggle like a little girl when you shoot it.

So yeah, you got a cheap (and this doesn't mean inexpensive, like my SAR K2 45, which is strong as bank vault and can be shot twice a day for a WEEK, with an extra round left over for Sunday!) and easily concealable derringer that NOBODY will see on you. Whooppee! Let's hear it for concealable!! It won't save your life in any way, and God help you if you have to fumble in your pocket for it, but any rookie can carry one and not worry about being "made"

IF the SHTF, however, the fact that this hurts to shoot, that you only have two rounds to save your azz, and with that short barrel this is the easiest gun in the world to blow a shot with. ALL of this negative stuff will come up front and center in your subconscious when your adrenaline kicks in, and you will be far up Schitt's creek.

If those WERE handloads, please cite powder type and weight, primer used, bullet diameter and weight, and how many mils of crimp, and cartridge OAL after loading.

If you really want to perform a public service, take this POS back to ANY pawn shop and get some money out of it!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:01 am

I bought one because I like novelty pistols. I haven't shot it and after reading this I probably won't :)
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:02 am

Seismic Sam wrote:
PHATSPEED7x wrote:Shot it for the first time today. The internet reviews were right about the kick. It hurts. All metal gun and no recoil reduction. Makes for some sore hands. I only fired off 6 rounds and I'm having a hard time typing this on my phone. Also it leaves interesting primer strikes...

After proving that I am the mighty Curmudgeon of The Day Care Center and no one is worthy to hold my jock strap, I'm going to have to dispense with the nastiness because we have a shooter in SEVERE DANGER!!

STOP!!!! DO NOT FIRE THAT GUN AGAIN!!!

To begin with, the primers look like nothing I have ever seen before. They are bulged back further than I have ever seen in an unexploded gun, and I do not think this is high pressure per se. If it were, the edge of the primer would be forced dead up against the outside of the primer cup without even a LINE between the two. That's not the case here. It looks like a headspace problem, and if you look at the right case you can see 3 bands around the case which are indicative of case stretching, which is also proof of a headspace problem. If you look at the left shoulder of the right case, it appears you can also see a bulge there. That is also a sign of a headspace problem. Considering how primitive the construction of this gun is, either the chambers were cut too long or the latching mechanism of the frame to the barrel is weak, and the gun is TRYING TO CAM OPEN UNDER PRESSURE and having some success doing just that. The fact that one primer has a longer "TIT" than the other primer means the case with the longer tit was in the lower chamber and the case with the shorter tit was in the upper chamber.

Moving away from the gun problems themselves, WHAT are you trying to do to yourself with this gun?? You said it hurts to shoot, and I fully believe that statement, and if I shot it I'm sure it would it would hurt like hell for me too, provided I could even get my huge troll finger into the trigger guard. So every time you shoot this POS, you get a pain impulse stuffed into your subconscious where it won't come back out. And make no mistake, this is MUCH different than the pain from a Smith 500, where it may hurt, but it's a tremendous adrenaline rush and you giggle like a little girl when you shoot it.

So yeah, you got a cheap (and this doesn't mean inexpensive, like my SAR K2 45, which is strong as bank vault and can be shot twice a day for a WEEK, with an extra round left over for Sunday!) and easily concealable derringer that NOBODY will see on you. Whooppee! Let's hear it for concealable!! It won't save your life in any way, and God help you if you have to fumble in your pocket for it, but any rookie can carry one and not worry about being "made"

IF the SHTF, however, the fact that this hurts to shoot, that you only have two rounds to save your azz, and with that short barrel this is the easiest gun in the world to blow a shot with. ALL of this negative stuff will come up front and center in your subconscious when your adrenaline kicks in, and you will be far up Schitt's creek.

If those WERE handloads, please cite powder type and weight, primer used, bullet diameter and weight, and how many mils of crimp, and cartridge OAL after loading.

If you really want to perform a public service, take this POS back to ANY pawn shop and get some money out of it!!

These were factory American Eagle 115 fmj loads. I don't do any reloading.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:06 am

The review that the truth about guns did on this firearm shows similar primer strikes across a wide range of factory ammo.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby crbutler on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:55 pm

It's not overpressure sign, it's a sign of one of two other issues.

Either excessive headspace as Sam said, or else it's oversize firing pin holes.

Either is believable, given the case heads are exposed, excess headspace would be my bet.

Not something I would choose to defend myself if relatively mild factory ammo does that. The primers are close to losing gas containment. Given that, I would be concerned about other less obvious flaws in design or manufacturing.

Either issue is fixable, but probably will cost more than the gun did in the first place.
crbutler

Postby westhope on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:10 pm

From "Double Tap's" web site:

Casings fired in the 9mm DoubleTap will exhibit primer deformation. This is normal for the 9mm and is not a sign of excess pressure from standard ammunition or defect of the gun. It is inherent to the design. The primers in some ammunition brands may deform more than others.
-

They also say a lot of what types of ammo to use and not to use.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Check the firing pin detents and make sure they aren't binding.. like this

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:19 am

Squib Joe wrote:I bought one because I like novelty pistols. I haven't shot it and after reading this I probably won't :)

Does that mean you have all the same ugly pistols that Rodentman does??? Hmmmmmm???? :( :o :shock: :?
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rodentman on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Such as this 28-2?

Rodentman

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:19 pm

Squib Joe wrote:Check the firing pin detents and make sure they aren't binding.. like this

Mine are not. I've been concealing the 26 all week. Pretty sure this gun is going to be a safe bitch.

PHATSPEED7x

Next

Return to Handguns