First AR15 pistol build.

Discussion of handguns

First AR15 pistol build.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:29 am

Figured I better build it now before the election and won't be able to.

Palmetto state Amory 10.5" upper I ordered yesterday. Will be mated to a aero precision lower with a pistol build kit.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: First AR15 pistol build.

Postby Scratch on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:29 am

Nice! Gonna go with an arm brace of some sort, or just the tube?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:45 am

Scratch wrote:Nice! Gonna go with an arm brace of some sort, or just the tube?

I'm researching that now. I know the atf made a big stink about the sig arm brace. I may just go with a cheek rest style cover over a tube.

"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

First AR15 pistol build.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:40 am

Hoping finished gun will look like this.

PHATSPEED7x

First AR15 pistol build.

Postby LumberZach on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:49 am

PHATSPEED7x wrote:
Scratch wrote:Nice! Gonna go with an arm brace of some sort, or just the tube?

I'm researching that now. I know the atf made a big stink about the sig arm brace. I may just go with a cheek rest style cover over a tube.

To be fair, the way I understand the law it doesn't matter if it's a brace or a bare tube. Shouldering the pistol at all is the atf no-no. Looks like a great build though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Ghost on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Might as well get started on a Form 1 lower it's only a matter of time. You'll be glad you did if you do.
Ghost

First AR15 pistol build.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Think I'm going to use Phase 5 components to make this build for the lower. Their hex buffer tubes look badass.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:36 pm

Have never been hassled shouldering my AR10 pistol. Why pay the 200 extortion fee. But if you do get caught, its your ass. Less restrictions as a pistol vs sbr.
Bearcatrp

First AR15 pistol build.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:19 am

I'm looking forward to the build. Would also like to get a 300 blackout pistol upper down the road.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby nhluke on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:10 pm

I just finished my first pistol build and I went with the phase5. So far I'm happy with it. I'm waiting on my sbr stamps (Nov eta) and wanted to get the uppers while I can. I was concerned that the lower is registered with a certain barrel length and I believe I have to have that configuration available. Bcm/mega uppers seem to have spotty availability when things get political.
I think the phase5 balances alright with a 10ish barrel and lighter handguard. I'm not in love with shooting ar pistols due to atf shoulder rules but it's something I'm glad I tried. They do feel a little awkward to me but it may be lack of experience. I can see some logic in going a lighter/basic pistol tube route since the phase5 isn't really heavy enough to fully balance the firearm, and it's kinda heavy for what it is/needs to do. Classic AR solution....make more with slight differences.
nhluke

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:37 am

nhluke wrote:I just finished my first pistol build and I went with the phase5. So far I'm happy with it. I'm waiting on my sbr stamps (Nov eta) and wanted to get the uppers while I can. I was concerned that the lower is registered with a certain barrel length and I believe I have to have that configuration available. Bcm/mega uppers seem to have spotty availability when things get political.
I think the phase5 balances alright with a 10ish barrel and lighter handguard. I'm not in love with shooting ar pistols due to atf shoulder rules but it's something I'm glad I tried. They do feel a little awkward to me but it may be lack of experience. I can see some logic in going a lighter/basic pistol tube route since the phase5 isn't really heavy enough to fully balance the firearm, and it's kinda heavy for what it is/needs to do. Classic AR solution....make more with slight differences.

Got a picture of your pistol?

PHATSPEED7x

Postby nhluke on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Nothing fancy but it works. 9in 300b/o bcm with a kmr The real build is a 10.5 but when my sbr forms were being filled out a 9 in upper was listed so I had to scramble and at least have one ready. And of course I can't have a short upper while I wait (if I want to play by their rules) without a pistol lower.
I'm not sure about what sights and or optics I want to use. Maybe it will grow on me, but I can't see using this all that much when I have other options that are more ergonomic/comfortable to shoot. When it comes to the ar platform I've always been bi-curious... just experimenting
Attachments
10715.jpeg
nhluke

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:10 am

nhluke wrote:Nothing fancy but it works. 9in 300b/o bcm with a kmr The real build is a 10.5 but when my sbr forms were being filled out a 9 in upper was listed so I had to scramble and at least have one ready. And of course I can't have a short upper while I wait (if I want to play by their rules) without a pistol lower.
I'm not sure about what sights and or optics I want to use. Maybe it will grow on me, but I can't see using this all that much when I have other options that are more ergonomic/comfortable to shoot. When it comes to the ar platform I've always been bi-curious... just experimenting

You have a good defensive weapon to pump out allot of bullets if needed. But if you want to sell it, feel free to contact me.
Bearcatrp

First AR15 pistol build.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:06 pm

https://youtu.be/iLuZL9-u8NA

Good video about the AR15 pistol.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:46 pm

Upper shipped yesterday. Hopefully I'll see it by the end of next week.

PHATSPEED7x

Next

Return to Handguns