Plus P loads??

Discussion of handguns

Re: Plus P loads??

Postby purd0027 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:10 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:If reloading +P+, be sure to check that brass is not of the "balloon" style as it will not reliably hold pressure.

Curious - is this a joke? Or is this a reference to some brass being softer?
purd0027

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:18 pm

NO this is not a joke. It is the name given to a style of case construction that results in a very weak base = the internal shape of the case base very closely follows the shape of the exterior of the case with a consistent wall thickness. I currently have no good picture to better show the cross-section- construction, so will provide the following link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 2459252520
OldmanFCSA

Postby purd0027 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Ahh interesting, thanks. The powder column extends into the case head. Was there generally a time frame cutoff where these ceased to be made? Or if I were to get a new box of factory .44-40, would it have a balloon head?

Any other cartridges have this characteristic besides the 44-40, 45 schoefield, etc mentioned in that link?
purd0027

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:12 am

purd0027 wrote:Ahh interesting, thanks. The powder column extends into the case head. Was there generally a time frame cutoff where these ceased to be made? Or if I were to get a new box of factory .44-40, would it have a balloon head?

Any other cartridges have this characteristic besides the 44-40, 45 schoefield, etc mentioned in that link?

I've seen a few in 38Special and 44Special. Most modern ammo is of no worry, but if you reload range pick-up brass, look into bottom of casing before loading to any +P or +P+ type loadings. Or any loading at all to prevent further use of said product. Brass can currently be recycled at $1/pound.

My posting of this topic may represent my age and availability of these cases during my tenure. :(
OldmanFCSA

Previous

Return to Handguns