http://www.ruger.com/products/markIV/overview.html

News release:
http://www.ruger.com/news/2016-09-22.html

Manual:
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_ma ... 4tS28s.pdf

* One button takedown
* Ambi safety
* No more LCI

Last edited by grimbeaver on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
grimbeaver

Re: Ruger Mark IV

Postby karlobag on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:09 am

That looks sweet!

I am not sure about the hinged barrel set up though, as that means TandemKross, Volquartsen, and others will have to make "Mark IV" only aftermarket barrels.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:39 am

Looking at the takedown in the manual I will be really curious to see how solid the fit is. It's not real clear exactly how/where it hooks and the barrel is not pinned it just rotates and lifts off.
grimbeaver

Postby karlobag on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:54 am

From the video, it looked like it was pinned. If not, that is a good thing!
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:15 am

karlobag wrote:From the video, it looked like it was pinned. If not, that is a good thing!

I thought the same thing from the video but the manual says otherwise.
grimbeaver

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:38 am

I did see a video on these a few days ago. The front of the barrel has a slot that hooks on a pin in the frame and you pivot the rear of the barrel down on the frame which then locks in the rear.

I'm sure it is a huge improvement for ease of cleaning and will help sales. What it does for accuracy and reliability is yet to be seen. The Mark series has been one heck of a platform, let's hope they didn't mess it up.

On a lighter note, I'm old school, I've been taking apart Mark I,II and III's for 30+ years if you can't disassemble one down to the bare frame you aren't really a gun guy.

It is like trying to watch a someone claiming to be a 1911 guy and they can't do more than a field strip.

Heck, even most of the Glock folks can't disassemble those down to a bare frame; we have a whole new bunch of folks in the sport that have no idea how their guns actually function internally.

It is not unlike autos, computers, and half the other stuff people use today. Products seem to be engineered for the least common denominator.
mmcnx2

Postby ranger on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:06 am

Looks like a winner for Ruger. The reassembly procedure was always the biggest beef people have with the Mark series and this fixes the issue. Losing the LCI (dirt trap) was a good move as well.

Here's a video review by .22 Plinkster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbiyPMA7CE
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby Dill on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:13 am

mmcnx2 wrote:I did see a video on these a few days ago. The front of the barrel has a slot that hooks on a pin in the frame and you pivot the rear of the barrel down on the frame which then locks in the rear.

I'm sure it is a huge improvement for ease of cleaning and will help sales. What it does for accuracy and reliability is yet to be seen. The Mark series has been one heck of a platform, let's hope they didn't mess it up.

On a lighter note, I'm old school, I've been taking apart Mark I,II and III's for 30+ years if you can't disassemble one down to the bare frame you aren't really a gun guy.

It is like trying to watch a someone claiming to be a 1911 guy and they can't do more than a field strip.

Heck, even most of the Glock folks can't disassemble those down to a bare frame; we have a whole new bunch of folks in the sport that have no idea how their guns actually function internally.

It is not unlike autos, computers, and half the other stuff people use today. Products seem to be engineered for the least common denominator.

I have a Mark III Hunter, and I don't take it down very often. Maybe you should offer a class, because every time I do it I end up cursing the stupid engineer that designed it, hah...give me an AR to build any day!
Dill

Postby Ironbear on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:38 am

ranger wrote:Looks like a winner for Ruger. The reassembly procedure was always the biggest beef people have with the Mark series and this fixes the issue. Losing the LCI (dirt trap) was a good move as well.

Here's a video review by .22 Plinkster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbiyPMA7CE

Wow! Almost as easy to field strip as a High Standard!!
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Ruger Mark IV

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:47 am

I like the idea and really hope the price difference will not be drastic enough to stop me from getting one :)

There is also no mention of implementing these improvements into the 22/45 variant...
gun_fan111v2

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:50 pm

Dill wrote:I have a Mark III Hunter, and I don't take it down very often. Maybe you should offer a class, because every time I do it I end up cursing the stupid engineer that designed it, hah...give me an AR to build any day!

If you do not have a magazine disconnect bushing get one. It makes the take down so much easier.
grimbeaver

Postby ranger on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:05 am

Arnzen Arms in Eden Prairie is already showing the new Mark IV on their website. :o
http://arnzenarms.com/catalog-search?se ... 2++mark+IV
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby grimbeaver on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:30 am

ranger wrote:Arnzen Arms in Eden Prairie is already showing the new Mark IV on their website. :o

That was quick. As much as I want one I think I'm going to wait a bit and see what other models they come out with. This model hunter actually weighs 3oz more than the Mark III Hunter :(
grimbeaver

Postby Ghost on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:48 am

ranger wrote:Arnzen Arms in Eden Prairie is already showing the new Mark IV on their website. :o

I thought Ruger's policy was to announce when they are ready to sell?
Ghost

Ruger Mark IV

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:00 pm

If they make this is 22/45, I would be all over that!
gun_fan111v2

Next

Return to Handguns