Advise on first handgun purchase

Discussion of handguns

Postby Infantry_Blacksheep on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:03 pm

Hello, I am looking at buying my first handgun. I am looking for some advice on options. My only background on handguns is shooting the M9 Beretta in the Army. We didn't train with it nearly as much as our M4's but from the time I did use it I didn't mind the recoil and how easy it was to use, clean and operate. Outside of the military I've been shooting my friends Glock 35 which I enjoyed and shot quite well with and my friends glock 23 gen 4 which I didn't enjoy as much although I still had a decent shot group. For my first weapon I am looking for a good conceal and carry weapon and which I can also use for home defense. Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by Infantry_Blacksheep on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infantry_Blacksheep

Re: Advise on first handgun purchase

Postby linksep on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:11 pm

What's your preferred budget range and your "absolute seriously not joking can't go a penny over" price?

You can buy a new handgun for $150 to $Thousands.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Infantry_Blacksheep on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Well I have read so many mixed reviews saying don't spend to much on your first one because you outgrow it quick or it turns out not being right. But if its quality and I can probably test it before firing I'd say $1k
Infantry_Blacksheep

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 pm

I would highly recommend 9mm as the first cartridge. It's a lighter recoiling load, the ammo is plentiful and is the least expensive out there (excluding .22LR). The two Glocks you shot were .40S&W, and that is notoriously a bad cartridge for newer shooters due to the sharper recoil impulse and the way it pounds the piss out of your gun internals. .45ACP is a tad more expensive, but it has a slower recoil impulse that is actually not bad if shot in the right gun.

The best thing to do is to go to Bill's Gun Shop and rent some guns to see what you want. If you like the DA/SA gun with a hammer and longer trigger pull, you can look at options like Beretta, Sig P226, HK P30 or USP, FN FNX, CZ 75, etc. If you want a single action, a 1911 is a great pistol and very easy to shoot. Quality options come at a price, however. If you want striker-fired, the Glocks, Sig P320, HK VP9, S&W M&P9, Walther PPQ, FN FNS, Springfield XD etc. are the primary options.

Pick whichever gun you like.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby jdege on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:15 pm

I would strongly suggest that you find a range that rents and try out a number of firearms for yourself.

One of the most important questions about a gun is how well it fits your hand, and nothing but shooting it will answer it
jdege

Postby Ghost on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 pm

Decide which one you like the looks of the best and then see if it feels right in your hand. If you can shoot it that's even better. Pretty much all of the ones named above are good quality and you can't go wrong with any of them as long as you like it and it feels/shoots like you want. As recommended a 9mm is likely the best choice.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:19 pm

Rent different calibers to see what fits you. Since your X Army, your no wimp to shooting so a 40 S&W shouldn't be out of the question. Are you the only person that will be using it? If not, you will want them to be comfortable too. Being X Army myself, I prefer a heavier round. I enjoy the 40 S&W. Had 44 mags but sold them. My carry is a glock 27 in 40 S&W. 3 inch barrel. My other pistol is a SA with a 5.25 barrel. Sits in the safe but ready when needed. Consider funds for feeding it. Can't just buy it and let it sit until needed. Practice allot to get very comfortable with it. Feel free to ask about particular pistols when you think you found one you like.
Bearcatrp

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Thank you for your service.

I am a big fan of single stack guns for carry (Kahr and smaller 1911 in my case) and double stack guns for home defense (CZ fan here).

If I was asked to recommend one for both purposes it would be Kahr 3.5" or 4" for 9mm and Springfield Range Officer Compact for 45 ACP.

I find that a good belt is more important for carry than the actual holster. My favorite combo is http://www.tuckergunleather.com/latigo- ... 1-2-width/ with https://clingerholsters.com/product/sti ... r-holster/, but there are a lot of good choices.

Most people end up with multiple guns and a box of gear - enjoy the journey!
gun_fan111v2

Postby Randygmn on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:57 pm

IMO, a carry gun should be different from a home defense gun (size, weight, capacity, rail, etc). For a first gun I'd only consider 9mm. It's ubiquitous, inexpensive and extremely capable.

Your first consideration is body size. It's harder for a small guy to conceal a full sized duty gun. But, that makes no difference when laying on the nightstand. Single or double stack? Single is all the rage now for carry because it's thinner. Firearm width and grip length (not barrel length) are the two most important factors when considering something concealable. Again, a home defense gun in your dresser drawer isn't subjected to these considerations. As mentioned above, you can choose metal (heavier) or polymer. Hammer fired or striker fired. Single action AND double action, double action only (1911's, amongst others) or striker fired (technically single action but most often referred to as double action).

There are guns that serve both roles, but you'd sacrifice some concealability. Glock 19 is the perfect example. It's considered a compact (not full/duty size, nor is it a subcompact or a micro). It holds fifteen, which is fantastic capacity. If you're a small guy, would be doable, but as big as you'd want to go if you're looking to conceal (either inside the waistband or shoulder rig). There are similar sized all metal guns, too. CZ makes the Rami. Beretta makes a 92 compact. Sit makes the 320 (in every size because it's modular). Single stack 9's come in the Glock 43 (simple way to go from 6+1 to 8+1 without adding ridiculous looking mag extensions- I'll tell you if you're interested), SW Shield. Springfield XD, Khar, and of course all your 1911's. Everything on this "list" is around $600 or so, with the exception of the 1911's. You can spend more on HK's if you like.

As everyone has mentioned, you can go to Bills in Robinsdale and finger bang all those pistols, and more. See what feels right in your hands. Pick a few of your favorites and the. Then go downstairs and rent the same models and start shooting. You'll know what feels right. A few tips, when you decide-buy a quality holster. That means don't ever buy anything nylon. Consider a model with night sights or has the ability to buy aftermarket. Remember, there's low/no light conditions AT LEAST 50% of the time. And finally, capacity is king. Buy the biggest gun, with the most capacity that you can comfortably carry. No one has EVER survived a gun fight and said, "gee, I wish had taken less ammo with me"

Good luck.
Randygmn

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:26 am

Noting I can really add that has not been said. As others have indicated, you really do need to get out and shoot some to know more and decide what its real purpose is.

That said, IMHO, the glock 19 really is not a bad purchase. It is not perfect for every situation but it is serviceable for most. I think of it like a hammer. It is a tool and not a bad tool to have around. It is the gun that most folks I take shooting whether newbies or experienced, can shoot well. It is relatively inexpensive to feed. It is large enough to serve roles reserved for full size handguns and small enough to use as a concealed though as indicated it is not the most concealable. My wife and kids can shoot it well. It goes bang when you want it to.... It is not my EDC, it is not what I would use for competition, it is not a lot of things but it is a very serviceable tool to have around and if you are going to start with one, not a bad one to start with.

I own several hammers, I own 2 glock 19s.
Holland&Holland

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:56 am

Buying a handgun without trying it out first is like getting married without dating first. You'll be in divorce court and looking for another one before you know it!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby jdege on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Buying a handgun without trying it out first is like getting married without dating first. You'll be in divorce court and looking for another one before you know it!!

True, but having guns you no longer use in your gun safe isn't much of a problem.
jdege

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:11 am

jdege wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:Buying a handgun without trying it out first is like getting married without dating first. You'll be in divorce court and looking for another one before you know it!!

True, but having guns you no longer use in your gun safe isn't much of a problem.

And seldom is the gun in the safe jealous of the one you are shooting.

Seriously I'd start 9mm and would agree try a bunch before you buy. Osseo Gun Range has some sampler days where you pay a flat fee and get to try like half a dozen guns. Might be an option you could look into.
mmcnx2

Postby igofast on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:03 am

Randygmn wrote:IMO, a carry gun should be different from a home defense gun (size, weight, capacity, rail, etc)...<and other stuff that's spot on>

You don't need to conceal a HD gun, so it should be a larger capacity and long sight radius. Being larger it will also be easier to shoot. There are a couple of guns previously mentioned that manage this fine line, but you are probably going to be unhappy with a one size fits all approach.

Be sure to include the Sig P320 in your testing. The thing that makes it unique is you can swap the serialized part to a different grip frame and slide - allowing you to have a full size full slide at home and a compact frame short slide for carry if you wish.

IMHO, buy the HD gun first. Get training and shoot, shoot, shoot. Then look into a firearm that's easy for you to conceal.
igofast

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:12 pm

To bad we can't lock up the wife and stick in the safe until needed like a used gun. Its there when you need it. :mrgreen:
Bearcatrp

Next

Return to Handguns