J frame/revolver experts - lubrication

Discussion of handguns

Postby purd0027 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi,
I've got a 637 that I'm comfortable cleaning externally but I had encountered some sticky trigger issues after about two years of daily pocket carry. I've disassembled the firearm (removed grip, crane, cylinder) and have blasted it with Gunscrubber cleaner and scrubbed the parts with a brush. Drying now and hope this will take care of the issue (although I was expecting a lot of lint/grit, etc. in the mechanism it seemed pretty clean).

I've never been clear regarding which parts need lubrication and how much. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!
purd0027

Re: J frame/revolver experts - lubrication

Postby JJ on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 pm

Look at your areas of metal/metal contact. If it slides, grease it, if it rotates oil it.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Sticky trigger?
gun_fan111v2

Postby purd0027 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:17 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:Sticky trigger?

Yes, the trigger required non-linear pull in double action, almost like it was binding up. If I drew the hammer back with my thumb it was okay.
purd0027

Postby Hmac on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:23 am

I've had a J-frame 642 Airweight for many years. Very convenient to carry around, and a very simple self-defense tool. That said, I hate that little gun and shoot it only enough to be reasonably proficient. The OOB trigger was bad, so I installed an Apex Duty/Carry kit, also took the opportunity to scrub the relevant parts with some Flitz. Made a YUGE difference in the trigger. My son has one in his as well, neither of us has had any ignition problems.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirec ... ils/192058
Hmac

Postby usnret on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:38 am

What is "OOB trigger"?
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby JJ on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:57 am

usnret wrote:What is "OOB trigger"?

Out Of Box
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Hmac on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:07 am

The Apex trigger kit for the J-frame is like $25. As a percentage of the total investment and in terms of bang-for-buck, that kit is an excellent expenditure.
Hmac

Postby karlobag on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:24 am

Here are my two cents worth of advice:

I will occasionally place a drop of oil on the ejector rod (not on the ejector star) and will put a dab of grease on the yoke shaft. Key word is a drop- as the ad slogan goes, a little dab'll do ya...... Work the ejector rod and spin the cylinder a few times, then wipe off any visible excess. Most problems that people seem to have with revolvers are due to over-lubrication. Mix oil, heat, spent powder, and lead --- and you can get a gooey sludge that expands beneath the star and pushes it rearward. Then the cylinder gets stuck. Very small amounts probably won't be a problem, but lots of folks overdo it.

If I am removing the sideplate for some other reason, I will place a drop of oil on the bottom of the rebound slide and on the hammer and trigger pivot pins. However, I believe that S&W revolver lockwork was designed to work with minimal lubrication, and that excess oil will just attract dirt and eventually gum up the works. For that reason, I advise against blindly squirting oil into the hammer recess, around the trigger, etc.

Also, any oil that goes into revolver lockwork should be the kind that will never dry up and leave varnish; you should use high-quality synthetics and avoid cheap generic products like WD-40 or 3-in-One.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby LumberZach on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:03 am

I just purchased the Wilson combat kit for my j-frame. Haven't had time to work on it, but I was hoping to polish a few things while in there. I may just start with the springs though. This thread is helpful to me, so thank you everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby karlobag on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:52 am

I have an S&W rebound slide spring tool, it makes installing a new spring slightly easier (it is still a PITA). If anyone would like to borrow it, send me a PM.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby igofast on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:26 pm

purd0027 wrote:Hi,
I've got a 637 that I'm comfortable cleaning externally but I had encountered some sticky trigger issues after about two years of daily pocket carry. I've disassembled the firearm (removed grip, crane, cylinder) and have blasted it with Gunscrubber cleaner and scrubbed the parts with a brush. Drying now and hope this will take care of the issue (although I was expecting a lot of lint/grit, etc. in the mechanism it seemed pretty clean).

I've never been clear regarding which parts need lubrication and how much. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

You did not take the side plate off? If not, search youtube for the process as that probably needs cleaning as well.
igofast

Postby hammAR on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:33 pm

Proper way to lubricate a handgun..............

cleaning2.jpg
cleaning2.jpg (49.65 KB) Viewed 3442 times
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Return to Handguns