Recoil springs-3 Part Question

Discussion of handguns

Recoil springs-3 Part Question

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:05 am

Howdy, yesterday when I was at the range my CZ SP-01 started to drop the slide upon mage insertion. Checked it at home, it will drop without the mag if tapped with sufficient force. I know been using the google-fu a bit, and I know some think this is a time saver and feature, for me I would like it to run as designed. Based on my brief research and a conversation with a range employees it appears a weak recoil spring may be the culprit.

1-How many rounds are you running through your gun prior to replacing a recoil spring? I have about 2-4k though the gun, mostly standard bulk pack type target rounds, and some mouse fart type gamer hand loads.

2-Is there anything else I need to be taking into consideration or looking at on the gun?

3-Is there anyone in town (TC area) that would have CZ recoil springs in stock?
Jack's My dog

Re: Recoil springs-3 Part Question

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:13 pm

I don't believe a recoil spring is going to resolve your issue.

When you insert a mag with some force it can cause the slide stop to bounce and thus release the slide. The harder you insert the mag the more potential for this issue.

The reality is the slide stop is deactivated/activated by the placement of a round in the mag, unless of course you have specifically deactivated the mag connection,

I do replace recoil mags about every 5K and main springs in 1911's about every 10k.

Finding local recoil springs for 1911's is tough, CZ has to be almost impossible,
mmcnx2

Postby cs tunes on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:52 pm

I would be hard pressed to believe that the recoil spring replacement will change what you're experiencing as mentioned. I've run the stock 18lb all the way down to an 11lb (13/15 also) in mine and not had it happen without purposefully trying by slamming the mag home. I ordered mine online but did not look local. Arnzen might be your best bet as some of their shooters use CZs.
cs tunes

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:57 pm

If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:47 pm

cs tunes wrote:I would be hard pressed to believe that the recoil spring replacement will change what you're experiencing as mentioned. I've run the stock 18lb all the way down to an 11lb (13/15 also) in mine and not had it happen without purposefully trying by slamming the mag home. I ordered mine online but did not look local. Arnzen might be your best bet as some of their shooters use CZs.

This is occurring with out the mag being inserted. Simply tapping the gun forcefully, without any mag can cause this to happen. This has developed after several years of ownership and has not been an issue until now, which led me down the trail of a possible wear issue. In the past I had practiced reloads for matches and never had this happen.

I am not so naive to think that some thing has not changed in my reload mechanics, but it is odd to me that this just began to occur. Solid tip on Arnzen, I will call CZ tomorrow as well.
Jack's My dog

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:09 pm

i find the guys at CZ Custom more helpful than CZUSA.
LarryFlew

Postby Snakeman721 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:17 pm

I think it's more an issue of wear of the slide stop itself, not the recoil spring.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby cs tunes on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:06 pm

You prompted me to walk downstairs and look at my own and yes, without a magazine in and if you hit with a fair bit of steam it will unlock the slide. It depends on the angle of the hit but it did not take all that much force to release it without a magazine. Compare it to the G34 I had out just to see and even it will do it but it takes more energy to do so. Perhaps because the plastic frame is less efficient at transferring the energy to the slide release than the CZ? Either way, I was able to duplicate that action with every auto loader in the house. Does it do it with what would be considered a standard magazine insertion? Pressing it in with enough force to seat it? Outside of a match I would never drive a magazine home as hard as I was just tapping it empty. Just curious. Could try Matt Mink at Automatic Accuracy too if you are inquiring about some service or theories.
cs tunes

Postby Ironbear on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Cajun Gun Works is also considered a go-to shop for CZ's.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Re:

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Ironbear wrote:Cajun Gun Works is also considered a go-to shop for CZ's.

David is certainly another great go to but tougher to get on the phone.
LarryFlew

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:17 pm

cs tunes wrote:You prompted me to walk downstairs and look at my own and yes, without a magazine in and if you hit with a fair bit of steam it will unlock the slide. It depends on the angle of the hit but it did not take all that much force to release it without a magazine. Compare it to the G34 I had out just to see and even it will do it but it takes more energy to do so. Perhaps because the plastic frame is less efficient at transferring the energy to the slide release than the CZ? Either way, I was able to duplicate that action with every auto loader in the house. Does it do it with what would be considered a standard magazine insertion? Pressing it in with enough force to seat it? Outside of a match I would never drive a magazine home as hard as I was just tapping it empty. Just curious. Could try Matt Mink at Automatic Accuracy too if you are inquiring about some service or theories.

When it happened at the range, I was just seating the mag with what I would have considered normal force. I tried it with both mags I had with me. I never filled either of them up past 11 or 12, which seemed to be the capacity at which they were most prone to dropping the slide. Thanks for checking the other guns, I only have the one semi auto at this time. When I get back to the range I will check it out more.
Jack's My dog

Postby linksep on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:33 am

Are the slide stop and notch in the slide square? Is the slide stop fully engaging (maybe the mag spring is weak or the follower is worn and not pushing the stop all they way up)?
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:08 am

Check out Wolff springs, and see what they have. More specifically, Tanfoglios tend to be CZ clones. Springs are rated by pounds of force at full recoil, and the way this is done with at least Tanfoglio springs is that the number of turns is CONSTANT (32 turns, I think...??), but the DIAMETER of the spring wire gets BIGGER with stiffer springs. At any rate, Wolff sprngs makes springs for a big bunch of guns, so you can probably find one that is identical or very close.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby crbutler on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:50 am

I would agree that it is more likely slide stop geometry than it is recoil spring weight.
crbutler

Postby usnret on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Look at the bright side. Your magazine changes are faster with auto slide drop. My Glock 34 that I use in competition does that, and I look at it as an enhancement.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Next

Return to Handguns