SS can shut up about his stupid 50GI now

Discussion of handguns

SS can shut up about his stupid 50GI now

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:02 am

:lol:

10.5" 458 SOCOM pistol. Happy New year to me... Get some!

I'm not sure the Law folder will stay or not, and I have to go fetch my SBX to complete the package, but she's already been test fired against some primed brass. 8-)
FJ540

Re: SS can shut up about his stupid 50GI now

Postby Ghost on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:04 am

Looks nice, needs SBR'd
Ghost

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:08 am

Ghost wrote:Looks nice, needs SBR'd

We'll see...

If the HPA passes, this will be a prime candidate for becoming an integrally suppressed rifle, thus no stamps. For now, the SBX is the next best thing.
FJ540

Postby Scratch on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Well that looks like fun...!
Yeah I'd wait on the SBR thing too. Things might be a changin'
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:05 pm

How'd you like the Mega set? It's my go-to for builds now.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Sweet pistol. I enjoy my 308 "pistol". 12.5 inch barrel.
Bearcatrp

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Shaddup, ya worn out old machine tool!!! :P :P

You're not as big as me, or as OLD as me, or as butt UGLY as me, and you are totally UNWORTHY of holding my jock strap as far as being the Board Curmudgeon!!! Plus you're way too trusting and patient with other people. It took you 16 pages to get sick of Russstra, while I was on his two-faced, lying Troll azz from the get-go, and actually leaned on him hard enough to cause some sort of time warp to occur!! Nice build, but how in hell do you shoot it without a stock?? Seeing as you ARE rather talented mechanically, I think you should fuse the Coonan geometry with an AR and make a carbine in 500 S&W!!! That would truly be a Mount Everest class engineering and ballistic design!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:59 pm

My SBX (aka: Sig brace, rev 2) is currently residing on my other AR pistol, which I need to go fetch. That's how you stabilize this little bugger. It ain't fully assembled yet. ;)

This wasn't a matched set, but rather came from opposite ends of the country in upper/lower respectively. The MML rail is fit to the upper in-house and they won't sell them separately because of refusing to allow a sloppy set to exist with their name on it. I got the upper from DSG due to some fluke in the space-time continuum (must've happened when Sam's head exploded from the troll :lol: ) where they gave me a discount deal not possible anywhere else after I returned a Rise trigger from them refusing to price match it before it had even arrived (was still in the mail when Primary Arms put it on sale), and then had to go to Michigan to find a lower to mate to it as everyone else is still out of stock from the H scare. So I got my upper for $40 less than anywhere else, and paid about $5 too much for my lower after it was shipped. I'm happy! :mrgreen:

And then I mated the two with great anticipation: would they be loose?? Would I have the most expensive sloppy seconds AR receiver set on the planet because they couldn't be hand matched? They're not as tight as my MATEN set (which was hand matched by Mega), but that was actually stiff when it was new (like a poorly fit double barrel shotgun that takes work to get the breech open) - these aren't that tight. They're tight enough to sustain shaking hard enough to achieve the forces of Sam's head movements when someone suggests not doing a work-up to a +P+ .40 load being shot out of a glock; without pins in! They're tight! :booyah: I still have the take-up screw in the baggie it came in. There's no point in installing it.

Yes, you'll walk funny after paying the bill for the Mega's because your butt will be sore. But there's nothing else like them. I almost went with the Aero version of this configuration, but thought - for $50 bucks more I can get a Mega. I'm glad I did.
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Seismic Sam wrote: I think you should fuse the Coonan geometry with an AR and make a carbine in 500 S&W!!! That would truly be a Mount Everest class engineering and ballistic design!!

Got $50k for startup costs? :lol:
FJ540

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:58 pm

FJ540 wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote: I think you should fuse the Coonan geometry with an AR and make a carbine in 500 S&W!!! That would truly be a Mount Everest class engineering and ballistic design!!

Got $50k for startup costs? :lol:

Don't insult SS, he has that as pocket change :wack:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Pat Cannon on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:...or as butt UGLY as me

Well, speaking as somebody who's met both of you, he's at least in the ballpark.
Pat Cannon

Postby FJ540 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:56 am

BigDog58 wrote:Don't insult SS, he has that as pocket change :wack:

Yeah, but is he willing to give it up for the project? Big difference. ;)

Made some changes after fetching the other AR pistol today.

My buffer tube stretched my SBX or this brace is larger than the original and these are just inherently incompatible with the MI tube all together. So the MI tube is going back and I swapped over my old tube to the new build; which shaved 2" off the LOP and OAL, and that was a good thing. It's now right at 27" so it falls under "firearm" and I can put a VFG on it if I want with no issues from the spooks.
FJ540

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:30 am

I had a Sig brace on mine until I put a shockwave on it. Reduced the weight. Just replaced the flash can and put on a war comp. Hoping the laws change so I can put a can on mine without the $200 extortion fee!
Bearcatrp

Postby FJ540 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:50 am

I put a Shockwave/KAK tube on my other lower when I stole the SBX off of it. 458S has the KE of .308 win, in a smaller form factor. This is a more efficient "AR10 pistol", but lacks the mag capacity of the large format frames. I wanted all the padding I could get. The SBX might not be enough to keep from dislocating my jaw. :lol:

That little set screw in the SW is also a bad idea with the socom recoil. No one familiar with the cartridge recommends it.
FJ540

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:33 am

I think the new Tailhook brace from GearHeadWorks is interesting, if they ever get around to shipping it

https://youtu.be/AlxNWyODuG4
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Next

Return to Handguns