Sccy cpx-2 9mm. The good, and the bad.

Discussion of handguns

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:37 pm

I purchased this gun because it fit my budget. A rocky end to 2016 left me a gapping hole in my income and I was forced to sell off most of my gun collection. Including my EDC Glock 26 gen4.

Went about a month without a EDC handgun (felt weird, and not right) before some extra cash came my way. Went to my local dealer with very limited funds. I knew I was going to need a firearm, and ammo to go with it (unless I decided to go 380acp). Looked at the Ruger LCP and LCP II. The shield which I really wanted was about $100 more than what I had on me. Then over in the corner I spotted it. A bi-tone cpx2. Price $229.99. I asked to see it. I've fondled them before and they always reminded me of a chubby kel tec pf9. Heavy double action only trigger. Styling was close to being the same. I did like the fact it came with 2 10rd magazines and was built in the USA. I filled out the paper work, bought ammo, and walked out with enough money left over to buy me and a buddy lunch later that day.

I inspected the gun at the shop and it looked good to me. This is where problem #1 happened. I didn't know that they should have included two flat base plates for the magazines (mine weren't in the box). I sent them an E-mail to see if I can get some shipped out. Won't hear back until Monday at the earliest.

So I get it all disassembled and cleaned up. I load each magazine with 10 rounds of blazer brass 115gr fml. Insert it into the gun and rack the slide. Here is where issue #2 happened...

Bullet nose dives into feed ramp jamming up the slide. Note this only happens if the slide is not racked hard or aggressive. If you send the slide home with the slide release or "powerstroke" it its fine. A little Polish job to the feed ramp should fix this issue.

I took it out side and ran 50 rounds though it. It ate all the ammo without and malfunctions. Recoil isn't as bad as I expected from a 15oz (empty) sub compact.

This gun fits in the leather Iwb holster I had for my old Beretta nano just fine.

This gun will act as my EDC until I can purchase something better. Probably won't be til spring time (hopefully full time employment happens then).

I'll keep you updated on the gun as time goes by here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby INOR on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Hope that one works out for you and also hope your job situation improves soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:49 pm

INOR wrote:Hope that one works out for you and also hope your job situation improves soon!

+1

I had a gun before that would always nosedive unless I would drop the slide with a slide stop. It has never malfunctioned at the range over 5-600 rounds.

Did you let those mags sit loaded for a day or two before shooting?
gun_fan111v2

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm guessing the mags were loaded for 24ish hours before I went shooting with it. It's been awhile since I've owned a dao subcompact pistol. Will have to get some practice in with this one. From reports I've read online 7 yards groups vary from 2-5" for 10 rounds. If I can keep all 10 rounds on a 8"paper plate I'll be impressed.

"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby gaberelli on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Sorry to hear about the life happenings... on the SCCY, I also have a CPX-2 and had some hiccups in the first two mags (same as you pictured) but seemed to work themselves out as hasn't happened since. Keep shooting the piss out of it to break it in.

gaberelli

Re: Sccy cpx-2 9mm. The good, and the bad.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:52 pm

gaberelli wrote:Sorry to hear about the life happenings... on the SCCY, I also have a CPX-2 and had some hiccups in the first two mags (same as you pictured) but seemed to work themselves out as hasn't happened since. Keep shooting the piss out of it to break it in.

How you like your pistol? I've been eye balling this one for a couple years. So far I like it.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby gaberelli on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:16 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:
gaberelli wrote:Sorry to hear about the life happenings... on the SCCY, I also have a CPX-2 and had some hiccups in the first two mags (same as you pictured) but seemed to work themselves out as hasn't happened since. Keep shooting the piss out of it to break it in.

How you like your pistol? I've been eye balling this one for a couple years. So far I like it.

I like the 10 rounds in such a small gun. The feel in hand is nice and it's easily concealed. The hiccups on first couple mags were disappointing but as an AR builder, I know sometimes the fix is to just shoot the damn thing when you have a small percentage of issues on a new build and they work themselves out. For that reason I will need a trouble free 200 rounds of FMJ and another 50 Gold Dots before I carry it. Until then it's my office desk gun.

How do you like yours?

gaberelli

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Well it jams trying to chamber Hollow points now...

And it ate a large chuck of thumbnail...

Thinking I'd have better luck with a Hi-Point...

PHATSPEED7x

Postby gaberelli on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Ouch! Yeah, it's certainly not a first choice kind of firearm....

How many FMJ rounds through it so far?

gaberelli

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:48 pm

How is the trigger? I wonder if a used Kahr CW9 would treat you better for the same $. Mine was $300 new and it never bites :)
gun_fan111v2

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:53 pm

gaberelli wrote:Ouch! Yeah, it's certainly not a first choice kind of firearm....

How many FMJ rounds through it so far?

I got about 100 rounds though it. I just spend the last half an hour polishing the feed ramp. Still jams. Think it's magazine related. Tomorrow I'll see if I can't contact sccy for some advice.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:54 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:How is the trigger? I wonder if a used Kahr CW9 would treat you better for the same $. Mine was $300 new and it never bites :)

Long and heavy. Advertised at 9lb. Dao. I remember my kel tec pf9 having a better trigger.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby Randygmn on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:52 pm

It's funny that you mention how it's reminiscent of a Keltech. I believe the owner of SCCY was a former employee there, if my memory serves correctly.
I'd suggest breaking down the mags and giving them a good cleaning and add a shot of dry lube. I'd also add a bit of grease instead of oil, to the rails. That will give some indication of whether or not a break in will be effective or not. Any firearm unable to shoot hollow points is useless. Fwiw- the Shield can be bought in the very low $300 range. Perhaps used even lower, although I don't see them for sale too often used.
Randygmn

Postby fjrdc on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Do they have any customer service? I'd go for a Shield IMHO.
" Little By Little One Travels Far"
fjrdc

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:35 pm

As soon as I can afford another carry gun I have a feeling this one will become a truck gun or a beater.

PHATSPEED7x

Next

Return to Handguns