Sccy cpx-2 9mm. The good, and the bad.

Discussion of handguns

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 am

I was searching YouTube and found this video...

https://youtu.be/jCmyRhpFKnE

Pretty much what my gun is doing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: Sccy cpx-2 9mm. The good, and the bad.

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:51 am

That's a bummer. I've seen those advertised by the big box stores and always wondered if they were any good.
grimbeaver

Postby gaberelli on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:13 pm

I just hand cycled Speer gold dots throw mine. No hiccups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaberelli

Postby minnesotaguy on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Have had mine for over a year with 600-700 rounds through it, without a single problem. One of my regular carry guns.

If you can get a reliable one, it is excellent... But the reviews seem to be somewhat inconsistent.
minnesotaguy

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:13 pm

The problems most people have are with the CPX-1 models (with manual safety). The thumb tends to sweep the safety on while shooting, which isn't a great thing. We've had good luck with the CPX-2 models.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Total round count though mine is now 250 rounds of fmj and 50 rounds of jhp. I can finally hand cycle both types of rounds though the gun. Guess it just needed a break in season.

"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:26 pm

Grabbed 10 rounds of critical defense. Tried to hand cycle them. 5 rounds jammed, 5 cycled. Used the slide release to load them. Again. 5 jams. 5 cycled.

Both magazines did this.

Edit...

Test fired 10rds of critical defense. #3 bullet jammed. Rest cycled. Loaded another mag of just regular fmj. Ran fine.

I believe it's a issue with mags and ammo.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:46 pm

I paid about $340 for my Kahr CW9 with night sights new. Kahr is ok - but has some weird habits, like -per the manual, it is not meant to have the slide "racked" and to load the chamber must be done from a cocked slide and mag release used. Don't know why, but if you don't do it that way it will jam every round on you. :?
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Got a reply from their service department. They wanted me to contact them by telephone to discuss the issues with the firearm. But they contacted me right when they closed for the weekend. So I'll have to get a hold of them next week.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:06 pm

wasfuzz wrote:I paid about $340 for my Kahr CW9 with night sights new. Kahr is ok - but has some weird habits, like -per the manual, it is not meant to have the slide "racked" and to load the chamber must be done from a cocked slide and mag release used. Don't know why, but if you don't do it that way it will jam every round on you. :?

Probably because people tend to ride the slide when they rack it. Boberg's were notoriously sensitive to this problem. I have a CW380 and have no issues racking the slide, though I'm not sure what my manual says.
grimbeaver

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:58 am

[/quote] Probably because people tend to ride the slide when they rack it. Boberg's were notoriously sensitive to this problem. I have a CW380 and have no issues racking the slide, though I'm not sure what my manual says.[/quote]
Nope not an issue with riding the slides - if you look at a fully loaded Kahr CW9 or its variants, they cock the bullet at a very unusual angle and they will only feed using the mag release. If you run it 2 rounds short will work like a "normal" handgun. Don't ask me why, I am no engineer! But have been around a few pistols in my life. If you look at the Kahr forums it is a issue many have come across until they read the manual, contact customer service or hear from someone else. I know who needs to read a manual to operate a striker fired pistol?
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby smurfman on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:51 pm

I wish I would not have read this, I can see nothing but trouble for me. I am not interested in this gun but a coworker recently asked my opinion and I then checked this thread. I have a CW9 and load the chamber either by using the slide release or by racking the slide. Both ways have always worked for me. I bought it used with no box, manual or anything other than the extra mag with it.

Now I know I will have troubles loading the chamber, it never fails for me. Sometimes ignorance IS bliss!!!
smurfman

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:51 pm

On a fully loaded with 10rds. With slide closed I go to rack the slide (a normal rack not sling shot) and not riding it this the end result...

I'm so looking forward to sitting on hold with sccy and thinking of how I'm going to nicely discuss how they plan to fix this...

PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:06 pm

This is the other magazine...

PHATSPEED7x

Postby fjrdc on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:43 pm

Sorry NOT for me......
" Little By Little One Travels Far"
fjrdc

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns