Ordered a rather ugly gun today...

Discussion of handguns

Re: Ordered a rather ugly gun today...

Postby Rodentman on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:16 am

I was quoted 2-4 months unless someone cancels, then I move up the list. Arnzen was showing the Mongoose (prettier-cheaper model) on their site as sold. I suspect it was a special order since they told me they put SO's up on the site. BTW I passed on the optional 38spl cylinder which was a grand extra. They also sell a 9mm cylinder. I thought 9mm bullets were narrower than .357 hence I'd wonder about the barrel.

Rodentman

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:45 am

I get doing a 9mm cylinder but why a separate .38spl? So one does not need to clean after shooting lead?

On the 9, I have shot a ruger blackhawk with a conversation cylinder. Seemed plenty accurate.
Last edited by Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holland&Holland

Postby hopkins on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:26 pm

You know what they say about beauty being in the eye....Put that among a bunch of Dardicks and it will win every beauty contest they enter. Did I read correctly that the extra cyl would cost a thousand bucks????? .357 mag = .357 inch , 9mm = .355 inch. It will shoot fine, just won't win any benchrest competitions. Ruger used to put out a .357 that had an extra 9mm cyl.
hopkins

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:26 am

hopkins wrote:You know what they say about beauty being in the eye....Put that among a bunch of Dardicks and it will win every beauty contest they enter. Did I read correctly that the extra cyl would cost a thousand bucks????? .357 mag = .357 inch , 9mm = .355 inch. It will shoot fine, just won't win any benchrest competitions. Ruger used to put out a .357 that had an extra 9mm cyl.

Are you referring to shooting 9mm in a .357 with Moon Clips?? If so, please contact Scratch on this board, who has an infinite supply and sells them for the asking..... Image
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby hopkins on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:15 am

Nope. the 9mm cyl is cut to headspace on the mouth of the case just like it does in semi-autos. I have a .45 colt and a separate .45 ACP cyl that does the same thing. A good design that works well.
hopkins

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Wed May 10, 2017 7:47 am

Rodentman wrote:Well there goes the annual bonus, but it's for a good cause. This one is pretty pricey so the ugliness per dollar is quite low. I don't think it's too ugly though. Who knows when it will arrive. I put the special order receipt with my will and health care directive so my kids can inherit it, or at least try to get the deposit back.

L frame S&W grips will fit it so I may change the Hogue grips. I know I have a few sets of Ahrends nice wood grips that will fit it.

A Korth is a Korth, of Korth of Korth.

Looks "Bulldog" mean to me with a very business-like tone that says "stay off my friggen grass". Talk about "FUGLY" ? It comes with a brown paper bag to use when shooting it. Image
SGW Gunsmith

Postby Ghost on Wed May 10, 2017 8:00 am

hopkins wrote:Nope. the 9mm cyl is cut to headspace on the mouth of the case just like it does in semi-autos. I have a .45 colt and a separate .45 ACP cyl that does the same thing. A good design that works well.

Exactly, I have both of the Rugers, nice guns and no moon clips needed.
Ghost

Postby hard h2o on Wed May 10, 2017 11:11 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I get doing a 9mm cylinder but why a separate .38spl? So one does not need to clean after shooting lead?

On the 9, I have shot a ruger blackhawk with a conversation cylinder. Seemed plenty accurate.

I thought that sometimes with extended shooting of .38 spl in a .357 mag the chambers can get somewhat eroded beyond the case mouth. Then when firing the longer .357 mag cases the case can get "sticky" with the additional friction on the eroded section and have ejection issues.
hard h2o

Ordered a rather ugly gun today...

Postby LumberZach on Wed May 10, 2017 3:06 pm

Yupp, ugly. If you ever need to get rid of it, let me know lol I'd love you have a Korth. Be sure to post pics when you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Rodentman on Wed May 10, 2017 5:10 pm

I called them today and spoke to the sales rep who handles the stores here. He said they got some of the other models in, but none of these lately. So it will be a wait still and he didn't know how long. At least I have a contact there.

I can wait. I have other choices to take to the range. Still, I hope it's before winter....
Rodentman

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri May 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Winter?? Whazzat??? They mentioned at the range I'm joining that in December and January you get nutjobs who will come out and shot when the temperature is in the 35 - 40 degree range..... And that's ABOVE zero... :shock: :P :P :P :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Looks bad ass for a fugly looking gun. At least you can give yourself a colonoscopy with the barrel and scrape out the polyps.
Bearcatrp

Postby FJ540 on Fri May 12, 2017 11:44 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Winter?? Whazzat??? They mentioned at the range I'm joining that in December and January you get nutjobs who will come out and shot when the temperature is in the 35 - 40 degree range..... And that's ABOVE zero... :shock: :P :P :P :P

Sam's got the bravery of being out of range.

Hope a hurricane doesn't flush you into the gulf! :P
FJ540

Postby Rodentman on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:13 am

Past the 4 month mark now. I have others to shoot in the meantime. My kids will get the deposit back if I pass away before it arrives.
Rodentman

Postby Rodentman on Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Called Nighthawk last week. They said they're getting a shipment from Korth in August but aren't sure what it will contain. Hope springs infernal and sooner or later I will get it or get my deposit refunded.
Rodentman

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns