Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite 38 special.

Discussion of handguns

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:25 am

After getting frustrated with the sccy, I ended up dumping it (took a little hit on it, but it's out of my life now).

Went back to my dealer and went right to the wheel gun section. They had the typical all stars. S&W 442, 642, Ruger LCR in all the flavors, even had the new Kimber revolver.

Having already owned a S&W 442, and currently a Ruger LCR in 357 (dad is currently carrying it) I was hoping to maybe get another one. But like all things prices go up... ($549 for the 357 ruger ouch!)

The Smith and Wesson were priced right around the $400 mark. Great guns, but again outside my budget (unless I felt like not eating for the next week).

Then mixed in with the bunch was the Taurus 85. I've owned several Taurus revolvers, and never had a problem with any of them. I was suprised it was the Ultra-Lite model, and had the external hammer (I like the ability to shoot single action). I asked to see it, and after handling it I felt like this could fill the roll. Being a revolver I knew I wasn't going to have the issues of the semi auto. Don't get me wrong I love the semi auto. I love all guns (except for the sccy) and can appreciate the affordable things in life. Which this gun was. $279.99 and I was able to pick up a box of Hornady critical defense +P 38 special to go with the new Taurus.

Got the revolver home and gave it a good cleaning. Taurus likes to make sure their guns leave the Brazil factory well lubed. Then I spent 10 minutes dry firing it, getting use to the trigger. It's not a performance center Smith and Wesson, or a LCR... But it does pull clean. Single action is crisp, and should provide decent accuracy. Bench resting a snubnose revolver is like putting your Prius on the dyno; you know the results are going to be disappointing, and it doesn’t matter anyway.

Hope to get to shoot it sometime this week. I'll let you know how this one works out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite 38 special.

Postby LePetomane on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:01 am

Dude, enjoy your new revolver. Real men shoot revolvers.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Erud on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Alright, I guess I'll be the one to ask. It appears that you have bought 3 cheap carry guns in the last 2 weeks or so, after having to sell your trusty EDC G26. Why not just hold off on those 3, wait another week or so and buy another 26? They aren't super expensive, and will hold up and perform better than the trio you just bought. You take a loss when you get rid of one you weren't happy with, and the stuff you are buying is bound to make you unhappy. Just curious I guess. :hmm:
Erud

Postby Amazi on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:43 pm

I have one of those its the older model pre +p really nice trigger on them gave it to my gf/ wife. Every newer smith after like 1990 the triggers suck way to stiff and way to many lbs to break. My performance center 460 smith which was made for hunting had a 14lbs trigger break, high point could make a better trigger... Ruger and Taurus are my new go to revolvers unless I get a good deal on one like I did with my police trade in 640-1, or if colt ever brings back the double action.
Amazi

Postby farmerj on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Paid $259 for a Taurus 685 last year. Let's you shoot 357 Magnum if you want a full power load.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby prushin on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:25 pm

The only thing I'd watch out for is the cylinder stop.

I've had problems in the past with 2 Taurus 85Ul's with the cylinder stops breaking off under normal wear. They're cheap little MIM parts.

It's not a hard fix, the S&W cylinder stops are usually readily available, and made of real steel.
prushin

Postby farmerj on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:27 pm

prushin wrote:The only thing I'd watch out for is the cylinder stop.

I've had problems in the past with 2 Taurus 85Ul's with the cylinder stops breaking off under normal wear. They're cheap little MIM parts.

It's not a hard fix, the S&W cylinder stops are usually readily available, and made of real steel.

Do you know if the 685 is made the same?
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby prushin on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:38 pm

I have no idea farmerj...

If you look at the Taurus cylinder stop and it looks like it was chromed then its probably MIM.

I wonder if tootsie will chime in and give us a second opinion on how the S&W stop is holding up in a the last Taurus I fixed.
prushin

Postby farmerj on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Easy upgrade to do?
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Erud wrote:Alright, I guess I'll be the one to ask. It appears that you have bought 3 cheap carry guns in the last 2 weeks or so, after having to sell your trusty EDC G26. Why not just hold off on those 3, wait another week or so and buy another 26? They aren't super expensive, and will hold up and perform better than the trio you just bought. You take a loss when you get rid of one you weren't happy with, and the stuff you are buying is bound to make you unhappy. Just curious I guess. :hmm:

I was going to ask the exact same thing, and then decided to erase what I wrote so the local peasants wouldn't storm my castle with torches and pitchforks AGAIN. But from your own description, you had to sell your whole collection a few months ago to make ends meet, and that must have been one hell of a bath financially. Apparently I missed one recent purchase, which only highlights your pennypinching and pound foolish ways even more. As far as your personal safety, you're really playing a game of Russian roulette, because in a crisis situation it may take you a second to remember what the hell you have on you, and whether it's DA, SA, both AND also whether it's an auto or revolver. You sure as hell won't have any instinctive use of the gun(s) if TSHTF.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Yes I could of just saved some money and gotten into another Glock. But I have no self control when it comes to money.

Anyways... Back to the model 85. Took the first shots with it today.

6x6" square at 5 yards. I'm going to have to shoot more wheel gun because my groups were less than impressive.

"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:33 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:Yes I could of just saved some money and gotten into another Glock. But I have no self control when it comes to money.

Anyways...

For what it is worth, I enjoy your new gun evaluation posts. They probably account for half the posts on this forum. Thanks :)

Seeing your groups reminded me of the time a new shooter with one of these lightweight short revos asked me to shoot their gun to make sure it works OK. My groups were not much better than his so we agreed that it was not the guns fault - Ha!
gun_fan111v2

Postby Amazi on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Could just carry one of these
Attachments
1486428596827.jpg
Amazi

Postby MnHornet on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 pm

I like it. Picked up a SW air weight a while back and love it.
Little snubbies are too fun. Have fun with it. Light snubbies are great for carry IMO. :D
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Packing silver today...

PHATSPEED7x

Return to Handguns