New Member Ruger Mark 'smith

Discussion of handguns

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:49 am

Just signed up for this forum. Have a shop in Northwestern Wisconsin and specialize on the Ruger Mark pistols. Been working with, and on, these pistols for 45+ years. Would like to read about others who own Ruger Mark pistols and help with performance issues you might have.

SGW Gunsmith

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Welcome!

Got a Mark 3 22/45 Light that have not seen much use after I acquired a 1911 .22 conversion last year.

What are your thoughts on these Mark 4 models? I like the new take-down process but to be honest not a big fan of the way they look now with that big "hinge"...
gun_fan111v2

Re: New Member Ruger Mark 'smith

Postby karlobag on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Welcome.

I bought a new Ruger Mark I T 512 - Bull Barrel, new is 1975 for $125.00. I have been shooting it ever since. From Smallbore Hunter's Pistol Metallic Silhouettes to tin cans at my dad's ranch. Not quite as accurate as my High Standard Supermatic Citation, but close and there are a more aftermarket parts available for it.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby LumberZach on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:17 pm

I like that a lot. Nothing better than a vent rib pistol. Do you build any Ruger's for bullseye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Scratch on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Welcome from another cheesehead! Nice looking work!
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 pm

SGW Gunsmith wrote:Just signed up for this forum. Have a shop in Northwestern Wisconsin and specialize on the Ruger Mark pistols.

Welcome from Osceola, Wisconsin.

Where in Northwestern Wisconsin ?

I've spent some time in Ashland - Drummond - - Cable area, so just curious where you're located.

Is this you ?

http://saronagunworks.com/sarona-gun-wo ... to-gallery

EDIT

Tic

Tok

Tic

Tok

Tic

Tok

No response about your shop in Northwestern Wisconsin ????????????????
OldmanFCSA

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 am

gun_fan111v2 wrote:Welcome!

Got a Mark 3 22/45 Light that have not seen much use after I acquired a 1911 .22 conversion last year.

What are your thoughts on these Mark 4 models? I like the new take-down process but to be honest not a big fan of the way they look now with that big "hinge"...

I think the jury is still out on these ~NEW~ versions. Yes, I agree, the hinge has sorta taken away from the lines of these pistols. I have an order in for a couple of Mark IV pistols, but because I don't turn many guns in sales, I'm a long time on the waiting list to get any new models.

As soon as I can find my bench under the white stuff, I want to do some testing of this new Mark IV with the 6 7/8 inch barrel and see how it goes up against a Mark II Government and then a Mark II Competition Target. May even add a Browning Buckmark Contour with the 7 ¼ barrel into the mix. Shooting will be done using a Ransom Rest to eliminate any of the "me" from the process. Will report back when data is gathered.
SGW Gunsmith

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:29 am

karlobag wrote:Welcome.

I bought a new Ruger Mark I T 512 - Bull Barrel, new is 1975 for $125.00. I have been shooting it ever since. From Smallbore Hunter's Pistol Metallic Silhouettes to tin cans at my dad's ranch. Not quite as accurate as my High Standard Supermatic Citation, but close and there are a more aftermarket parts available for it.

Thank you.

I bought this one two months before the Ruger Mark II version came out. Whoda thunk?

Very true about the aftermarket parts. I stock pretty much all of the OEM parts that Ruger allows to be sold and many, many aftermarket replacement parts. Also, drill and tap receivers and make a picatinny rail that still allows use of the sights.
SGW Gunsmith

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:33 am

LumberZach wrote:I like that a lot. Nothing better than a vent rib pistol. Do you build any Ruger's for bullseye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do a lot of smoothing and tuning of the Ruger Mark I, II, III, & 22/45 pistols. Trigger jobs and sight alterations. Check out the web-site, and if anyone here has questions feel free to call. I hope to get some DIY posts up so folks can do some of this stuff themselves, or at least those who want to get involved.
SGW Gunsmith

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:34 am

Scratch wrote:Welcome from another cheesehead! Nice looking work!

Thank you sir!
SGW Gunsmith

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
SGW Gunsmith wrote:Just signed up for this forum. Have a shop in Northwestern Wisconsin and specialize on the Ruger Mark pistols.

Welcome from Osceola, Wisconsin.

Where in Northwestern Wisconsin ?

I've spent some time in Ashland - Drummond - - Cable area, so just curious where you're located.

Is this you ?

http://saronagunworks.com/sarona-gun-wo ... to-gallery

Yes sir, you caught me! :) Smack dab in the middle, between Rice Lake and Spooner, just off Highway 53 in the huge metropolis of Sarona. Actually, it says Sarona on both sides of the sign, so don't blink when driving through.

EDIT

Tic

Tok

Tic

Tok

Tic

Tok

No response about your shop in Northwestern Wisconsin ????????????????
SGW Gunsmith

Postby karlobag on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:16 am

Thank you.

I bought this one two months before the Ruger Mark II version came out. Whoda thunk?

That is pretty much what my Mark I still looks like! I still shoot it, pretty much every time I go to the range. I tend to shoot .22 LR a bit, before I move to my larger bore revolvers and semi-autos. Sometimes, I just shoot may various .22's pistols and conversion kit/pistols though.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby Erud on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:04 pm

SGW Gunsmith wrote:As soon as I can find my bench under the white stuff

Cocaine? You didn't used to work at Armored Fire, did you? :cogitating:
Erud

Postby FJ540 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Erud wrote:

:lol:
FJ540

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Erud wrote:

No...........I can't afford that stuff. But instead, I'll have a "snort" of Crown Royal now and then. :mrgreen:
SGW Gunsmith

Return to Handguns