Ruger Mark Pistol "NEW" Firing Pin

Discussion of handguns

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Ruger has changed the complete profile of the firing pin used in the Ruger Mark I,II, III, IV & 22/45 pistols.

So far, I really like how well this new style of firing pin performs in the three Ruger Mark pistols I've tried a sample firing pin in. The firing pin tip has a smaller footprint that really seems to concentrate all the force from the hammer hit directly onto the rim of the cartridge in the most effective area to detonate the primer mix.

Here is a random sampling of the spent cases I picked out of the snow, from the three test pistols I was using.

I would consider these sample spent cases to have received excellent firing pin hits, and every cartridge went off perfectly. Now, I can't say why Ruger changed the design of these firing pins, but from my initial testing, I think they did a fine job.
Now, for sure, we can't position a cartridge in the chamber perfectly to the point where if the primer mix has not reached all the way around the inside rim of the case, that we will still get complete ignition. But still, I have some suspect .22 rimfire brands that are thought to have voids in the rim that didn't get any primer mix. Gonna test that ammunition with this firing pin, just to see.
SGW Gunsmith

Re: Ruger Mark Pistol "NEW" Firing Pin

Postby Packrat on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:43 am

I have two standard models and a 22/45, i have more issues with extraction than light primer strikes.
I do run CCI most of the time.
Packrat

Postby Spike on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Where did you buy the new firing pin? They seem to be out of stock everywhere.
Spike

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Packrat wrote:I have two standard models and a 22/45, i have more issues with extraction than light primer strikes.

In all three guns? I had issues with 10/22 before that were cured by an aftermarket extractor but my 22/45 is running pretty good unless I go over 1,000-1,200 without a good cleaning.
gun_fan111v2

Re: Ruger Mark Pistol

Postby Packrat on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:44 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:
Packrat wrote:I have two standard models and a 22/45, i have more issues with extraction than light primer strikes.

In all three guns? I had issues with 10/22 before that were cured by an aftermarket extractor but my 22/45 is running pretty good unless I go over 1,000-1,200 without a good cleaning.

Yah, i should have been more clear. i have no issues with light primer strikes and the occasional issue with a case not getting kicked out on the standards. One of the standards has an upgraded extractor and I probably don't clean them as often as i should but they will go bang if the cartridge is in the chamber. I was just thinking of the new firing pin as a solution to a problem that maybe did not exist.
Packrat

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 am

Over the years, I've tried every one of the aftermarket extractors that are available. There's a very good reason why there's at least five companies offering replacements for the factory version. I now stock only one brand and order those 50 to 75 at a time. Yup! I really do go through that many. The thing is, these extractors not only work for the Ruger Mark pistols, they also work very well in the Ruger 10/22 rifles. For $10.00, they are very hard to beat and will send spent cases flying out of the ejection part and landing 12 to 15 feet to the right.

I also stock the new style Mark pistol firing pins, and those also go fast. It looks like Ruger will be discontinuing the stamped version of the Ruger Mark firing pins and going exclusively with this new variation.
SGW Gunsmith

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks SGW. Looking at those parts I started wondering if they interchange between the pistols and 10/22.

I have to say, you picked one of the funnest guns to work on!
gun_fan111v2

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Yes, the Ruger 10/22 and the Ruger Mark pistols share the same part number extractor. The extractor I have pictured above is a much better design, for both of those guns. It has a better working hook angle and profile than the stamped factory version has. I began working on the Ruger Mark pistols and the 10/22 rifles in 1970 and have accumulated quite a few notes on what works, and what doesn't.
SGW Gunsmith

Postby mmcnx2 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Interesting, I'm amazed at peoples need to swap parts. I have a Mark I, III and a 10/22. All fire and extract 100% and they are all stock.
mmcnx2

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:01 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:Interesting, I'm amazed at peoples need to swap parts. I have a Mark I, III and a 10/22. All fire and extract 100% and they are all stock.

It's nice to read that you have been lucky with your three Ruger guns. Unfortunately, from what I've found over the 45+ years that I've been working on these Ruger guns, the extractor is one of the most troublesome parts. The NEW style firing pin is something Ruger has recently gone over to, so if a replacement firing pin is NEEDED, the new style is what you'll receive, there's no choice, unless one goes to the aftermarket.

Owning any firearm is a very personal thing, especially with the Rugers, so personal choices become involved with that ownership along with the whole myriad of aftermarket parts that have been proven to enhance the performance of these pistols, as many, many Ruger owners have found. Choices are a very wonderful thing. :D
SGW Gunsmith

Return to Handguns