Site adjustmentioned screw help.

Discussion of handguns

Site adjustmentioned screw help.

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 am

My brand new (2 range trips) SAR K2 rear site elevation screw is not budging. I've tried a little CLP to loosen it but no go. Any suggestions on what to try next. I really want to dial it in as it is a sweet shooter and I'd consider it for Carry.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Site adjustmentioned screw help.

Postby karlobag on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:39 pm

I have used the tip of a soldering gun directly on the screw to heat them up and remove them. Alternately, I have also used a drop or two of "Tap Magic" to loosen stubborn screws, as I got it free from the machine shop where I worked.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Heat gun or air dryer to heat it up also may work.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:57 am

Yes, it IS a sweet shooter, and with 15 rounds of Federal HST ammo in the gun you're ready for anything smaller than Godzilla!! If your avatar is accurate, however, you are going to need a belt AND suspenders to hold that three pounds of black steel and lead on that skinny geek frame of yours...

The solution is to take the whole rear sight off, and then you can see what's going on.... Unscrew the windage screw all the way and that part of the sight will come off, and then drive out the drift pin at the front. IIRC, that should allow you to get to the actual mounting screws underneath, and/or the elevation screw from the underside.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:47 am

Thank you for the input. I'll have some time this weekend to try your suggestions. :thankyou:

I've been working out since that last avatar picture was taken.......................Update is now up.................. :D
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:10 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Thank you for the input. I'll have some time this weekend to try your suggestions. :thankyou:

I've been working out since that last avatar picture was taken.......................Update is now up.................. :D

Was just noticing your avatar, thanks for explaining. Looks like it's working and you should be able to break it loose now.
Ghost

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Thank you for the input. I'll have some time this weekend to try your suggestions. :thankyou:

We're all used to you as a skinny, nerdy geek!! Go back to the original, which is undoubtedly real!!!

More interesting info!!! http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=74199.0
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm

update: sorry for the time elapsed on this one, but finally got around to pulling the K2 out last night. I don't know whether it was the CLP or the Heat from a soldering iron - maybe both, but the screw is moving now - the screw is a little scratched up from messing with it before, but not too bad. It moves pretty freely and seems to have graduated "stops" or clicks as you rotate it.

Thoughts on this would be welcome: The windage adjustment was a little weird as it seemed like, at first, I was able to loosen the screw and push the sight over and it seemed to have some spring to it, but you could push it by hand, so I tightened it back and it held where I had left it. That didn't seem correct, so I moved the screw again and the sight seemed to move according to the turn of the screw not freely with a little spring back like before. I'm thinking that maybe the movable part of that rear sight was binding, broke loose but was disconnected from the screw and it took the adjustment to get it reunited with the adjustment screw.

I guess I'll see if it falls apart when I get some rounds through it. I won't have range time to dial it in until the 29th. Would it be advisable to use a little Loctite on those screws once its zeroed? Or is that a bad idea?

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Sounds like the original oil that was put on it may have started to turn to varnish. No telling how big a run they make on these things, but CDNN has got to be selling them left and right. I remember ordering mine December 1st in 2015 for the ridiculous price of $369.00, and CDNN has kept that price EVER SINCE.... :o :shock: :? Meanwhile EAA has the price of $811 for the exact same gun, and I can't imagine they are selling ANY. That seems a little weird, and the only thing I can think of that would cause both companies to act like this is EAA's notoriously sucky customer service. This all has to do with the gunsmith, named Paul, who unfortunately is part owner of EAA, and he is a premier dickhead deluxe, and his dozens and dozens of customer horror stories are documented over on CZ forums in the Clone Section. It might be possible that Paul got pissy with CDNN, who are a pretty good company, and they decided to unload every SAR K2 they could get their hands on at distributor or wholesaler price just to pay him back. I can attest to the fact that Paul is a sufficiently huge PITA to get people to really hate even the sound of his name, so it seems at least possible.

I think the $811 price is about equal to what the Para P14.45 is selling for these days.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Dakotared on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Sounds like the original oil that was put on it may have started to turn to varnish. No telling how big a run they make on these things, but CDNN has got to be selling them left and right. I remember ordering mine December 1st in 2015 for the ridiculous price of $369.00, and CDNN has kept that price EVER SINCE.... :o :shock: :? Meanwhile EAA has the price of $811 for the exact same gun, and I can't imagine they are selling ANY. That seems a little weird, and the only thing I can think of that would cause both companies to act like this is EAA's notoriously sucky customer service. This all has to do with the gunsmith, named Paul, who unfortunately is part owner of EAA, and he is a premier dickhead deluxe, and his dozens and dozens of customer horror stories are documented over on CZ forums in the Clone Section. It might be possible that Paul got pissy with CDNN, who are a pretty good company, and they decided to unload every SAR K2 they could get their hands on at distributor or wholesaler price just to pay him back. I can attest to the fact that Paul is a sufficiently huge PITA to get people to really hate even the sound of his name, so it seems at least possible.

I think the $811 price is about equal to what the Para P14.45 is selling for these days.

Amen I say to the sucky customer service.
Dakotared

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Dunno if you have actually had the complete and utter displeasure of ever talking to Paul, but if you have then the thought of CDNN jamming a SAR K2 with a $369 price tag up Paul's azz and telling him that price is forever should make you grin for the rest of the day... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ironbear on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 am

The last time I called EAA, the phone was answered by a nice lady who transferred me to a helpful smith, who got me squared away. Admittedly, that was 20 years ago, but the experience was anything but negative. Spare parts prices did seem a bit high though, but then that is typical of parts.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Well, you sure as hell didn't talk to Paul, then The nice lady is still nice, and still there, and how she can put up with Paul is beyond me
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby yukonjasper on Mon May 01, 2017 9:48 am

OK, so I get out to the range, finally, this Saturday with the K2. The elevation screw does move and it appears to "index" but it doesn't move the site up or down. Turning the adjustment screw will raise it temporarily between index clicks but falls back to the same position if you progress to the next Index click. Seems like it is probably stripped out. Shoots 3 inches low at 15 yards.

From what I'm reading, it seems like the solution is to scrap the rear site and replace it with something else. My only issue with that is it appears to involve shims and other adjustments that push me out of my comfort zone number 1 and number 2, I am not well equipped for delicate work. I'm more of a demolitions expert/heavy equipment operator type than a watchmaker type.

Any suggestions for how to solve this issue?

BTW - the Windage adjustment worked with the sight all the way to the left with the hash mark on the base lined up the right most hash on the sight. Could use a bit more adjustment to be absolutely correct, maybe another half inch, but its still acceptable if the elevation could be fixed.

Still a sweet shooter and seems to be a good fit for me - which is why I'd love to get it dialed in.

I continued to have some initial feed issues. When charging the slide on the first round off the mag, there was some binding. Winchester White box FMJ range ammo, so that was a concern also. Maybe this will never be a viable carry partner.................everyone needs a project, right??????? :D

Thanks for any thoughts.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon May 01, 2017 10:33 am

Google around a bit on "sights for SAR K2 45" and you will find one that fits. As far as the binding, getting 14 rounds into the mag is a job, and immediately after compressing that mag spring the top round is in there TIGHT. It might loosen up after few days, but who's got the time for that?? I just chamber a round, carefully lower the hammer, put 13 in the mag, and life is good.

Also, it might be instructive to remove the windage part of the sight, which allows you to see the screws holding the sight in place, and take those out. That should allow you to just rotate the sight forward until it's upside down on the slide. You can then futz with the elevation screw as much as you want, take it out and inspect it, and make sure the threads aren't bunged up.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Next

Return to Handguns