Something To Be Aware Of

Discussion of handguns

Something To Be Aware Of

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:43 am

Over the years I've had a whole bunch of Ruger Mark II pistols cross my bench. There was a spate of time when Ruger thought it would be easier to make the Ruger Mark II bolt, in two parts. The two part bolts are often found with a mainspring housing assembly that started out as a solid, one-piece casting, rather than the three piece laminate most often encountered. There have been some problems with the two piece Ruger Mark II bolts. Below is a two piece Ruger Mark II bolt:

Image You can easily see the seam between the bolt ears and the bolt body. The main concern, and catastrophe with the two-piece bolt is this:

Image Separation, that once happens can't be fixed. Ruger says they no longer have replacement Mark II bolts should your two-piece bolt separate. So, instead, they will replace you Mark II bolt, that has larger ear diameter, with a Mark III bolt that has smaller ear diameter.
As for me, I'd rather keep my Ruger Mark II pistols as close to being Mark II styles as possible. So, I have a preventative method that will forever keep your two-piece bolt a Ruger Mark II bolt. The fix is pretty much invisible and you will be the only one to know how and where it is. If this prevention interests you, send an email to info@saronagunworks.com and we can discuss it.
SGW Gunsmith

Re: Something To Be Aware Of

Postby FJ540 on Thu May 04, 2017 6:07 pm

That can be welded in less than 5 minutes.
FJ540

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Wed May 10, 2017 7:26 am

FJ540 wrote:That can be welded in less than 5 minutes.

It was the FIRST time and it failed. Have you welded these before?
SGW Gunsmith

Postby FJ540 on Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 am

No, but 99% of everything I've ever welded has been a first time too.

If you want to keep pinning them on prior to failure, I'm not going to stop you. This post really belongs in the for sale section though.
FJ540

Postby 870TC on Wed May 10, 2017 2:28 pm

FJ540 wrote: This post really belongs in the for sale section though.

Agreed, there is no "discussing the problem" other than, "I'm a gunsmith and I can fix this for you for a price" ...nothing wrong with that. But definitely a solicitation for work belongs in another forum section.
870TC

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Thu May 11, 2017 8:27 am

FJ540 wrote:No, but 99% of everything I've ever welded has been a first time too.

If you want to keep pinning them on prior to failure, I'm not going to stop you. This post really belongs in the for sale section though.

Well, that's for dam sure!
SGW Gunsmith

Postby FJ540 on Thu May 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Which dam?

FJ540

Return to Handguns