Recall: ALL Ruger MarkIV (including 22/45)

Discussion of handguns

Recall: ALL Ruger MarkIV (including 22/45)

Postby mrp on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:59 pm

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRec ... ex.php?r=y

Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time.
mrp

Re: Recall: ALL Ruger MarkIV (including 22/45)

Postby Rodentman on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:04 pm

That is a shame. That model was quite welcomed by people who had struggled with assembly of prior versions, or held out for this improved model.
Rodentman

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Ohhhh - and that sounds like one insidious failure mode too!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Rodentman wrote:That is a shame. That model was quite welcomed by people who had struggled with assembly of prior versions, or held out for this improved model.

Not really an improvement as much as a something done to help the less competent disassemble/assemble the firearm. Just another example of the dumbing down of society. If you can't take apart a Mark I/II or III and put it back together you probably should try something more in line with your IQ like darts. :roll:

On a more serious note, I do find it somewhat disappointing the number of people you meet that say they are dedicated shooters and have never disabled any of their firearms down to the frame, be it a Mark, 1911, CZ or even a Glock. Growing up my father did not let me shoot anything on a routine basis that I could not take apart and put back together. His motto was you shoot it, you clean it. And by clean he meant ever screw, spring and every other part taken out cleaned and lubricated, no cheating on field strip and wipe down.
mmcnx2

Postby Rodentman on Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:43 pm

I have never removed the side plate from any of my S&W's. Are you saying I should do this, and take it totally apart? Frankly, if there was something amiss at that level I'd rather pay a competent gunsmith who has all the right tools for the job.
Rodentman

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Rodentman wrote:I have never removed the side plate from any of my S&W's. Are you saying I should do this, and take it totally apart? Frankly, if there was something amiss at that level I'd rather pay a competent gunsmith who has all the right tools for the job.

I agree, it's important to know your limitations, can be expensive otherwise.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 am

I've never had one of the motors in any of the vehicles I've owned over the years completely apart. I know my limitations. I did take a welding class at a technical college in Rice Lake, WI, and found that any "caveman" can do that sort of thing, after just a few hours of instruction. :o

I do understand the reluctance of some owners who shy away from complete disassembly of a Ruger Mark pistol prior to the Ruger Mark IV. There's been so much ink over the years from owners who've gotten involved with disassembly of a Ruger Mark pistol only to bring it to a 'smith, in a paper bag, so he/she can put it back to normal again. Now, with the Ruger Mark IV, just pressing a take-down button on this version will allow removal of the upper from the grip frame assembly for rudimentary cleaning. Complete disassembly of the grip frame is still quite daunting for many who just don't want to get involved with that in-depth sort of maintenance, or when replacing factory parts with aftermarket parts. So, why go through the frustration? Bring it to somebody who does this sort of stuff on a daily basis, and then go golfing or do something you REALLY enjoy.
SGW Gunsmith

Postby hard h2o on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:13 am

There is a difference between user level maintenance and armory or gunsmith level.

Everyone should know how to maintain their tools be it a truck, car, boat, or firearm. Not everyone should disassemble things beyond their limitations.
hard h2o

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:59 am

hard h2o wrote:There is a difference between user level maintenance and armory or gunsmith level.

Everyone should know how to maintain their tools be it a truck, car, boat, or firearm. Not everyone should disassemble things beyond their limitations.

Well, who is it that creates those "limitations" ? I firmly believe and, have actually seen it for myself, that anyone can learn how to disassemble and then re-assembly any of the Ruger Mark pistols, if they want to, bad enough.
SGW Gunsmith

Return to Handguns