Twist rate...

Discussion of handguns

Twist rate...

Postby Rodentman on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Long story short, I now have 2 replacement barrels for my stinking G17. The Storm Lake has a 1:16 twist and the Wheaton is 1:10. Is there any recommendation as to what weight bullet works best in each of those or doesn't it matter? Or is a function of charge, hot or mild?
Rodentman

Re: Twist rate...

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:01 am

The twist rate of the barrel is inversely proportional to the twist rate of your ratty knickers while shooting the gun. A high twist rate will stabilize the bullet nicely, producing good groups and shooting satisfaction. A low twist rate will allow the bullet to destabilize, yaw, and go into the target sideways, producing tightly bunched and knotted rat knickers with ratty traction marks inside. :( :o :shock: :? More seriously, you probably want to start googling twist rates for that caliber and see what comes back. IIRC, the higher weight bullets require a higher twist rate to get them to stabilize properly.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Sam is correct about the Twist rate. Faster Twist Rate's will stabilize heavier projectiles better. And vice-versa. However, at normal pistol distances, I don't think you'll see a lot of difference (I could be wrong). But if you start shooting that G17 at 100+ yards, you might see an effect on accuracy and bullet stability. If my memory is correct the Stock G-17 barrel is around a 1 in 9.75 TR. It is also a Hexagonal Rifling.

With the Stock Barrel, I've loaded and shot 115gr thru 147gr and not seen any differences out to 50 yards. This held true for both copper plated and fmj projectiles . YMMV
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:20 pm

IIRC a 1911 uses a 16 twist. I can't imagine a 9mm needing much more than that. Unless you're shooting a 3" long bullet. :?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby UnaStamus on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Let's all step back for a minute and realize that we're debating twist rate for a Glock 17...
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Twist rate...

Postby ZardozCZ on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:32 pm

My AR is 1 in 7 and very much prefers 65gr plus. Slower velocities may not care so much. IDK.
ZardozCZ

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:55 pm

UnaStamus wrote:Let's all step back for a minute and realize that we're debating twist rate for a Glock 17...

I disagree. This is all about including the subject of twist rate in posts having to do Rodentman's knickers - Who give a F**K about the Glock anyway??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rodentman on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:40 pm

I daresay there is a lot more interest in Glocks than in my knickers. At least there surely should be.
Rodentman

Return to Handguns