Handgun Rental- South of the Minnesota River

Discussion of handguns

Postby oldgunman on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Hello everyone.

I have started a service, South of the River Gun Rental, where I have access to 30 of the most popular handguns for concealed carry and home defense. If people want to try these handguns out, I will meet them at the Burnsville Pistol and Rifle Range with the guns they are interested in and we will shoot them together. I will only be an observer; all shooting is done by my customers. It will cost $20 and ammo.

I started this service because when I was looking for my home defense and concealed carry handgun, the only place I could rent guns was 25 miles from my home in Burnsville, MN through bad traffic at Bills Gun Shop. I believe we need some kind of rental support south of the river. This service should help both new shooters and experienced shooters.
Last edited by oldgunman on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
oldgunman

Re: Handgun Rental- South of the Minnesota River

Postby centermass40 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:08 pm

I would be very surprised that Roger the owner of BPR would allow this.
centermass40

Postby oldgunman on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Roger and I discussed this service and he is OK with it.

I am an insured, certified NRA pistol instructor and Range Safety Officer. The guns never leave my sight and I am on the lane for the whole session. I am right next to the shooter and available to explain any handgun operational issue or stoppage issue. This is the way gun rental should be done.

This should bring more business to the Burnsville Range as I suspect I will be introducing some people to this range for the first time. Also, I hope it will encourage shooters to try new handguns and get out and shoot more.
oldgunman

Postby Ghost on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:39 pm

It's an interesting idea, I like the business aspect of you being able to add more guns, you know, for business purposes.
Ghost

Postby usnret on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:44 am

here's something to think about. How are you going to keep people that are restricted from being in possession of a firearm from renting one from you?
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Citiot on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:55 am

I purposely utilize Burnsville Pistol Range because they don't rent firearms to the "rent a boomstick" crowd.

I had a couple of scary experiences at a gun range that rents out firearms and will not go back.

I will not be going to Burnsville Pistol Range any more.

--Citiot
Citiot

Postby INOR on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:11 am

Citiot wrote:I purposely utilize Burnsville Pistol Range because they don't rent firearms to the "rent a boomstick" crowd.

I had a couple of scary experiences at a gun range that rents out firearms and will not go back.

--Citiot

I don't think that is a fair assessment at all. This is a bit different than Bill's where practically any dope can rent a gun and walk out to the range with no experience. This sounds like a more responsible way of doing it as the guy is a certified instructor and will be present in the lane and observing the full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Citiot on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 am

INOR wrote:
Citiot wrote:I purposely utilize Burnsville Pistol Range because they don't rent firearms to the "rent a boomstick" crowd.

--Citiot

I don't think that is a fair assessment at all. This is a bit different than Bill's where practically any dope can rent a gun and walk out to the range with no experience. This sounds like a more responsible way of doing it as the guy is a certified instructor and will be present in the lane and observing the full time.

My life, my decision. BPR lost a customer because of this.
Citiot

Postby INOR on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:28 am

Yep, absolutely your choice. But I'm just curious how this is any different than a person bringing a novice shooter and introducing them to firearms in the lane adjacent to you? Or someone meeting another person at the range in the lane adjacent to you to let them try out a handgun before selling it to them? Or a new shooter at the range with an instructor in the lane adjacent to you while they do their PTC shooting test? Or what of the many other douchebags who have zero practical experience with guns who just go out and buy a handgun and show up at the range in the lane adjacent to you for the first time to familiarize themselves with the gun? Because all of those things happen every single day at the range!

And I can tell you that I would be a whole lot more comfortable knowing that a certified instructor is on the lane in a 1:1 situation physically observing what the person is doing and making sure the situation is safe.

I have no problem with this and will tell Roger that I'm in support of it.

INOR

Postby Ghost on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 am

Citiot wrote:
INOR wrote:

--Citiot

My life, my decision. BPR lost a customer because of this.

Really?
Ghost

Postby oldgunman on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:25 am

Hey Citiot,

Please don't give up on the Burnsville Range. It is one of the only indoor ranges left south of the Minnesota river now that Gander Mountain has closed. I think you are being too harsh.

First of all, I expect many of my customers to be like I was when I was searching for my concealed carry weapon. I am 67 years old and have fired handguns since my first experience in the army with a 1911. I owned a home defense gun (Beretta 92FS), but wanted something more concealable for carry purposes. I had been a combat veteran and former military policeman and was comfortable with guns. But I believed I needed to fire the gun before I fully understood whether it was the right concealed carry weapon for me. I ended up going to Bill's Gun Shop and rented seven different handguns, some more than once, to check out what would be best for me. Being a Burnsville resident, I ended up driving over 25 miles to get to rent at Bill's for three or four sessions. And man was traffic ugly during rush hour. So I thought that it would be useful to anybody, new or experienced, to be able to rent guns down south of the river.

My point is that my customers will be a mix of experience levels and very few of them will be brand new shooters who have never fired a handgun before. When I get a brand new shooter, my whole approach is different. I emphasize that I am the Range Officer and that they need to listen to me. I warn them repeatedly to keep muzzle downrange, no trigger on the finger until ready to fire, and no loaded handguns will be passed between us (laid on table first). I am then right behind them as they begin to shoot and usually start them with a 22. I do not leave the lane. Only one round in the magazine to start! I have special compression technology headphones for my customers that allow the best communication possible. All during the shooting, I keep my eye on their muzzle direction and where their finger is on the trigger. I am there to help them through any operational issues or stoppage issues which is much more than most rental places provide. I have taken everything that I learned as a NRA certified pistol instructor and Range Safety Officer to create my protocol.

So come on Citiot- reconsider. I would welcome your suggestions for improving my approach to make it safer and make you comfortable to shoot at the Burnsville Range.

Sincerely,
Oldgunman
oldgunman

Postby Sorcerer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Citiot, why do you assume that the person standing in the lane next to you is a seasoned firearms owner? That person could have just picked up that nifty new gun a 1/2 hour ago. This could be the first ever event at firing ANY fire arm. That person may have played every video game with firearms in it and beleives that thay have this down pat. I've seen people that own multiple firearms who are unsafe and down right dangerous. More dangerous that the noob there first time out. By the way, don't leave you house. There are a bunch of permit holders that only fire there carry guns every 5 years.
Sorcerer

Postby wasfuzz on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Hey Citiot - did you ever think someone may be standing next to you at the range thinking the same thoughts as you about the guy in the booth next to him and that person is you? :D
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:47 pm

He does not go to public ranges at all then I assume.
Holland&Holland

Postby mrp on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:45 pm

They may not rent to them, but they do show up with their own firearms. Have you never looked at the ceiling?

I have no problem with a new shooter being under the guidance of an experienced and qualified instructor.
mrp

Next

Return to Handguns